Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair to launch service to Doha (DOH) ex-HEL, ARN, CPH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 29, 2022, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VilBur
HEL-DOH AY1981 16:00-23:45 333 16DEC22-
DOH-HEL AY1982 08:00-14:15 333 17DEC22-

ARN-DOH AY1983 15:10-23:50 333 01NOV22-
DOH-ARN AY1984 08:10-13:25 333 02NOV22-

CPH-DOH AY1985 15:15-23:30 333 01NOV22-
DOH-CPH AY1986 08:15-13:10 333 02NOV22-

Flights are considered long-haul (AY+ awards & accrual as well as complimentary meals in all classes of travel).

AY and QR both have set quotas and specifically allocated seats on board. At least on the ARN service, the AY quota in J is 7 seats (1L, 2DHL, 3DHL) and the Y quota is 61 seats (31–36 DEGHJL, 59JL, 61–63DEGHJL.

The PE cabin is not sold by either airline. The PE seats belong to the QR quota and can be assigned to QR Y pax at no extra charge.

Transferring at DOH, you will have access to the following lounges when departing on AY or QR, in descending order:
1. Al Safwa, for QR customers ticketed in F. Close to the bear
2. Al Mourjan lounges, for AY & QR customers ticketed in J (J Light not eligible). Al Mourjan South is close to the bear (escalator up right next to the escalator coming down from transfer security). Al Mourjan North (Al Mourjan Garden) entrance is located between the northern stop of the intra-terminal train and The Orchard. Al Mourjan North lounge is twice as big as Al Mourjan South and has views over The Orchard.
3. Qatar Airways Platinum & Gold Lounge North, for Golds, Platinums and Lumos regardless of class of travel. This lounge is a shared Platinum & Gold lounge. Entrance near gate C14
4. Qatar Airways Platinum Lounge South, for Platinums and Lumos regardless of class of travel. At gate A1.
5. Qatar Airways Gold Lounge South, for Golds, Platinums and Lumos regardless of class of travel. At gate A1 (shared entrance with the Platinum Lounge South)

All lounges operate 24/7.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2022, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels

We don't know much right now, but let the speculation begin! And when we do know, we can create a wiki.

We know that:
- AY will offer feeder flights for QR, starting Nov/Dec 2022
- routes will be HEL-DOH, ARN-DOH, CPH-DOH and a possible fourth route
- all routes will be operated daily
- all routes will be operated by A330 with new J
- flights will have QR and AY codes

We don't know if:
- AY will treat these as "Europe" like they do with DXB for AY+ purposes
- QR will have a say in the inflight soft product
Old Aug 29, 2022, 3:05 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by ffay005
Are you suggesting AY might have something to learn from QR in terms of the soft product? Outrageous

I heard Mr. Manner introduced the AY original "katotaan" concept to Mr. Al Baker and he was astounded!
Old Aug 29, 2022, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Not really. I am suggesting QR will force AY to upgrade the soft product But of course on DOH route only.

It will be interesting to see how big a role QR will take here. It is clear that these flights are closer to AY/IB MAD service than to a normal codeshare. QR will probably buy the majority of seats, perhaps a bulk quota. For sure QR will dictate the schedule, and it remains to be seen if they will dictate other things, too.

The interesting thing here is that as far as I know, QR does not have PE.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 3:10 am

We don't know much right now, but let the speculation begin! And when we do know, we can create a wiki.

We know that:
- AY will offer feeder flights for QR, starting Nov/Dec 2022
- routes will be HEL-DOH, ARN-DOH, CPH-DOH and a possible fourth route
- all routes will be operated daily
- all routes will be operated by A330 with new J
- flights will have QR and AY codes

We don't know if:
I surely hope that these planned AY flights will be in addition to the current QR flight(s) and not substitute(s) ?
Old Aug 29, 2022, 3:14 am
Original Poster

I'm pretty sure they will be substitutes. QR suffers from a lack of planes. AY has a surplus of planes and has been sending them on these ARN-based longhauls, but apparently they will make more money semi-leasing them out to QR instead.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 3:16 am

Finnair to launch daily services from Nordic capitals to Doha in strategic partnership with Qatar Airways
Finnair and oneworld partner Qatar Airways have concluded an agreement to establish a long-term strategic cooperation between Helsinki, Stockholm and Copenhagen and Doha. Finnair and Qatar Airways are exploring opening services also between another European destination and Doha.

These services will be supported by a comprehensive codeshare agreement with shared passenger and cargo capacity between both airlines.

Customers from the three Nordic cities will benefit from seamless connections via Doha to Qatar Airways’ extensive network of around 100 destinations across Australasia, Asia, the Middle East and Africa. The collaboration will also open new destinations and connection opportunities across Finnair’s Nordic network for Qatar Airways’ customers.

The services are planned to start between November and December 2022. They will be operated with Finnair’s Airbus A330 aircraft featuring Finnair’s new long-haul cabins, including industry-leading Air Lounge business class seats, a brand-new premium economy travel class and refreshed economy class.

The flights to Doha are to be sold and marketed by both Finnair and Qatar Airways as per the schedule below:

7 weekly flights to and from Helsinki
7 weekly flights to and from Stockholm
7 weekly flights to and from Copenhagen
Qatar Airways Group Chief Executive, His Excellency Mr. Akbar Al Baker, said: “As a fellow oneworld member, we enjoy a close relationship with Finnair and these new services to Hamad International Airport are an example of Qatar Airways working with partners for the benefit of our joint customers. This strategic partnership demonstrates our commitment to the Nordic markets and strengthens our position as the leading Middle East carrier in this important region. This partnership will be the foundation for the future expansion here.”

Mr. Al Baker added: “Soon, Doha will be the oneworld hub bringing more airline partners together than ever before. With this codeshare agreement, travellers from the Nordics will continue to have excellent connectivity to Doha with Finnair and onwards with Qatar Airways to attractive leisure and key business destinations across Asia, Africa, Australasia and the Middle East.”

“We are delighted to expand our collaboration with our oneworld partner Qatar Airways, offering new connections between Doha and the three Nordic capitals”, says Finnair CEO Topi Manner. “The role of Doha as an international hub is growing, and Qatar Airways has extensive connections from Doha onwards to for example Australasia, the Middle East and Africa.”
Old Aug 29, 2022, 3:32 am

Thumbs down

I'm pretty sure they will be substitutes. QR suffers from a lack of planes. AY has a surplus of planes and has been sending them on these ARN-based longhauls, but apparently they will make more money semi-leasing them out to QR instead.
A big if this is the case. I will surely enjoy my QR metal flights from HEL in October after these news.
ffay005, florens, DALtoAAL and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Copenhagen has two daily QR flights, I would venture a guess that AY takes one, and QR keeps the other. Rather than going 3 daily. Not sure about the frequency on ARN and HEL, but if only daily, I would guess AY takes fully over rather than add. Though maybe for the world cup period, there could be additions rather than substitutions.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 4:14 am

Programs: Onko teillä S-etukorttia?
Didnt QR have 2x daily at some point from HEL, or do i remember wrong?
Old Aug 29, 2022, 4:24 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by Jorma
Didnt QR have 2x daily at some point from HEL, or do i remember wrong?
They did. Even in the beginning of this year they had 10 weeklies, but now only 4 weeklies.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 4:28 am

But they started with narrow-body aircraft
Old Aug 29, 2022, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by r2d2
They did. Even in the beginning of this year they had 10 weeklies, but now only 4 weeklies.
It could very well be that they would like to have more flights to HEL, but don't have enough planes (ie they send planes somewhere where they make more money than on the HEL route).

I like the idea that QR stays on these routes as well. One daily op. by AY and additional frequencies op. by QR.

AY also mentioned a possible 4th route. Would that be OSL?

I truly hope AY will use their own cabin crew for these flights, also ex-ARN. There is no way QR pax will tolerate the ARN-hired contract crews.
joorinainen likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 4:49 am

Programs: AY+Plat

We don't know if:
if they treat them as "Europe", I would avoid AY code. Currently on QR code 4396 points vs 2000 points.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 5:07 am

Programs: AY Plat
Not sure what to think about this. It's good to be able to use AY vouchers and points to upgrade flights to DOH, but on the other hand I wonder if AY will cancel or limit their direct flights to SIN, BKK, etc and route those via DOH instead?
Old Aug 29, 2022, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lento
if they treat them as "Europe", I would avoid AY code. Currently on QR code 4396 points vs 2000 points.
But redeeming points would be a definite sweet spot, especially if QR forces AY to offer an improved meal service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.