Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Seat selection fees in business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2022, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

When I flew Finnair long haul business class (award flights both ways) about a month ago I was not charged for seat selection. I'm OWE through AA but my return was booked with AS miles and at the time I selected my seats I had my AS number in the reservation and I think I did not have OW status through AS at the time.

My parents are booked on LAX-ARN-BKK; BKK-HEL-LAX, on a business class bulk fare purchased through a TA. The fare was good, so no complaints there, but Finnair wants almost €100 per passenger per segment to select seats, which seems a little outrageous.

What, exactly, is AY's policy on when to charge for seat selection in business class? Who gets it for free?

Also, on a side note, are two adjacent middle seats likely to be available at check in time?
Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:04 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
In Business Class, you can choose a Standard or Preferred seat free of charge at the time of check-in (= all seats). Award tickets and Flex tickets are eligible for free advance seat selection. AY Golds and Plats receive free seat selection as well. OWEs do, too. Not sure about OWS.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:14 pm

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by ffay005
In Business Class, you can choose a Standard or Preferred seat free of charge at the time of check-in (= all seats).
I depends of the fare you bought, if one buy a Business Flex ticket the seat selection is free of charge, but I guess paying for the seats will be cheaper.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 12:04 am

Programs: DL PM, 2 Million Miller
Business Class Seat Selection Fee

I will be flying from the West Coast of the USA to BKK over the Christmas Holiday. I would like to take advantage of the Finnair Helsinki Stop-Over. Before pressing the buy button I noticed that there is an additional fee for Business Class seat selection on the fare I selected. Does anyone know or are able to estimate the cost of the seat selection fee. LAX-Helsinki-BKK. Two long haul flights.

Thank you.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 12:23 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
As far as I remember it is 60€ per longhaul leg - so 240€ for your US - HEL - BKK roundtrip.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 1:49 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Do you have AA status? As OWS standard seat selection is complimetary.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by bescobar
I will be flying from the West Coast of the USA to BKK over the Christmas Holiday. I would like to take advantage of the Finnair Helsinki Stop-Over. Before pressing the buy button I noticed that there is an additional fee for Business Class seat selection on the fare I selected. Does anyone know or are able to estimate the cost of the seat selection fee. LAX-Helsinki-BKK. Two long haul flights.

Thank you.
For ARN-LAX vv they wanted to charge me 150 € each way on a regular, non-flex ticket issued by AA.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:26 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by vfw614
For ARN-LAX vv they wanted to charge me 150 € each way on a regular, non-flex ticket issued by AA.

We have a saying in French "ils ne se mouchent pas du pied" which is what comes up to my mind when I see the high fees charged by AY...

Cannot find a good translation ... Any true bilingual member would have an idea?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.