Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help! Missed Connection

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2022, 5:13 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
For SIN-HEL-AMS:
- your flight from SIN will pour straight into a gate area (on the non-Schengen side but this info is irrelevant)
- follow the signs to passport control
- after passport control, follow signs to your new gate (could be someting like 25)

That's it. Couldn't be simpler.
weegraeme likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 6:35 am

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
Originally Posted by ffay005
For SIN-HEL-AMS:
- your flight from SIN will pour straight into a gate area (on the non-Schengen side but this info is irrelevant)
- follow the signs to passport control
- after passport control, follow signs to your new gate (could be someting like 25)

That's it. Couldn't be simpler.
Thanks.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by weegraeme
My flight into HEL is from SIN. I'm not sure if that means I do or don't have to go landside. ....
Guaranteed that you don't have to go to landside (unless you miss your connection and you decide to go landside for any reason). The only question we are discussing here whether you arrive to the gate area and can head straight to immigration (because SIN is considered as a safe airport), or first you need to go through transfer security and then to immigration (if SIN is "not a safe" airport). Regardless of the fact that your final destination is AMS, you'll enter the Schengen area in HEL, an area consisting of 26 countries, between which there is no border control and thus passport checks.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Thanks. The difference here is that we'd go through customs in Brisbane, too. But if we were travelling onwards to another country, we wouldn't go through border control at all as people don't technically "enter" Australia when they're transiting to another country.
For immigration reasons arriving from S'pore to Finland and continuing to the Netherlands is basically the same as arriving from S'pore to WA and continuing to NT
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Guaranteed that you don't have to go to landside (unless you miss your connection and you decide to go landside for any reason). The only question we are discussing here whether you arrive to the gate area and can head straight to immigration (because SIN is considered as a safe airport), or first you need to go through transfer security and then to immigration (if SIN is "not a safe" airport). Regardless of the fact that your final destination is AMS, you'll enter the Schengen area in HEL, an area consisting of 26 countries, between which there is no border control and thus passport checks.
Thanks. I would definitely consider Changi a safe airport. On a previous trip, we had to be security screened to get back on to the same aircraft we'd just got off.

Thank you all for your help. I'll take your collective word that it will all go well. It just seems strange to think about border control being in one country but customs being in another. But I'll take your word that that works, too.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks. I would definitely consider Changi a safe airport. On a previous trip, we had to be security screened to get back on to the same aircraft we'd just got off.

Thank you all for your help. I'll take your collective word that it will all go well. It just seems strange to think about border control being in one country but customs being in another. But I'll take your word that that works, too.
Not really. The Schengen area is, in principle, a free travel zone, so it makes sense that you clear immigration for this zone at the first port of entry. You are then free to travel within this zone without further immigration checks. Customs is a completely different issue and deals with what you can bring into a country and whether or not there are duties to be paid. That is relevant only for the country you actually enter. So, if you were to end your travel in Helsinki, Finnish customs formalities would apply. If Helsinki is merely your first port of entry to Schengen and you are travelling onto France, Finnish customs authorities don’t care how many cigarettes you are importing, but their French counterparts do.

This is why it is important to distinguish between immigration and customs.
Steve_Hun and jools72 like this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When flying from HEL to AMS you'll just walk out the airport in AMS, without being stopped by customs (or even seeing them) Your luggage tag will show that the origin is from outside the EU (no green stripe) but there won't be any formal customs clearance or declarations to make.

Somewhat OT: once flying HGK-MUC-HEL German customs were out in force and stopped most transit pax - so much so, that they wanted to see receipt for my wife's watch (either they were looking for counterfeits or for high value, undeclared items) So customs was done at first point of entry.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:58 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
The customs check is basically first for carry on when you enter the first airport in EU. Then it is for your checked luggage when you pass the customs at you destination.

You have to take the green lane and have no green stripes on your luggage if entering outside of EU. Intra EU you take the blue lane and have green stripes on the luggage tag (obviously no check-in luggage you can as well take the blue lane at destination)

Red lane always if you have something to declare.
FFlash likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
When flying from HEL to AMS you'll just walk out the airport in AMS, without being stopped by customs (or even seeing them) Your luggage tag will show that the origin is from outside the EU (no green stripe) but there won't be any formal customs clearance or declarations to make.

Somewhat OT: once flying HGK-MUC-HEL German customs were out in force and stopped most transit pax - so much so, that they wanted to see receipt for my wife's watch (either they were looking for counterfeits or for high value, undeclared items) So customs was done at first point of entry.
To be clear, it is entirely possible that someone arriving initially from outside Schengen (ie no green stripes on luggage tag) is stopped by customs when exiting through the green lane, as part of a random or indeed targeted check. I see this all the time.
WilcoRoger, FFlash and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intuition
All in all, I think airside hotels are rather rare in these parts of the world. FRA has IIRC, but that is the only one that comes to my mind.
CDG has a Yotel
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Missing the references to businetic bounces on an Australia-EU itinerary via HEL.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by duvin
Missing the references to businetic bounces on an Australia-EU itinerary via HEL.
Here you are

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34041155-post100.html
Old Mar 7, 2022, 11:37 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Perhaps @duvin means missing as in not getting it (ie not as in haven't seen enough of them for a long time)?

Someone might need to explain these references, because they are impossible to get for anyone besides those who partook in the original thread.

Last edited by intuition; Mar 7, 2022 at 11:45 am
Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:42 pm
Suspended

I'm still curious if OP's parents had a return journey on that ticket.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by intuition
Perhaps @duvin means missing as in not getting it (ie not as in haven't seen enough of them for a long time)?

Someone might need to explain these references, because they are impossible to get for anyone besides those who partook in the original thread.
Should that be the case, duvin , you can have some fun here
miamiflyer8 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.