Wiki Posts
Search

2.5 hour layover - which lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2022, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
2.5 hour layover - which lounge?

We’ll (hopefully) be flying SEA-HEL-HAM and have 2.5 hours in HEL. Should we go to the premium lounge on the non-shengen side before making our way through passport control for our flight to HAM? Is that even a possibility or should we go to the lounge past passport control? Is there a big difference?

Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2022, 9:04 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
You'll probably have time to try both. First go to the non-Schengen lounge, it's definitely better and most probably also less crowded than the Schengen lounge. As you have to allocate enough time for passport control, you'll probably end up with some time to spare also in the Schengen lounge, if the passport control is quick enough. By spending at least an hour in the non-Schengen lounge, the arrival wave should be already over by the time you need to go to passport control, unless some of the arriving flights are delayed.
SF1K likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), Hilton Diamond
I think they might not let you in to AY biz lounge with an European connection. If they do, it is way better than its Schengen counterpart. They have a bar with some cocktails and most likely champagne as well because the Plat wing lounge is closed. Food is decent but not great.
You can also try if they let you in to Plaza Premium on the non-schengen side. Free access with AX Plat/Cent. If you don't have free access, I think it's not worth it.
On the non-Schengen side there is also Aspire lounge, which is usually no better than the AY lounge. However, food in AY lounge has sucked for some time (especially if you eat meat), so if you have a Prio Pass, this may be an option worth checking out.
SF1K likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 9:36 am

You are allowed access the non-Schengen lounge even for a Schengen flight, if you are connecting from a non-Schengen flight (I've done it also on separate tickets). Pre-Covid they wanted to see also the boarding pass of you arriving flight to verify it, but the previous time I did it about two weeks ago the dragon said "I don't need to see that" when I tried offering the boarding pass of my JFK - HEL flight.

The non-Schengen business lounge has had champagne (Joseph Perrier) since the current lounge opened in late 2019 (although it has been closed for the most of the time after the opening).
SF1K likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by r2d2
You are allowed access the non-Schengen lounge even for a Schengen flight, if you are connecting from a non-Schengen flight (I've done it also on separate tickets). Pre-Covid they wanted to see also the boarding pass of you arriving flight to verify it, but the previous time I did it about two weeks ago the dragon said "I don't need to see that" when I tried offering the boarding pass of my JFK - HEL flight.

The non-Schengen business lounge has had champagne (Joseph Perrier) since the current lounge opened in late 2019 (although it has been closed for the most of the time after the opening).
Thanks for clarifying.
That makes choosing the lounge even easier (if it even is a choice because there is time to try them all, like you said.)
r2d2 and SF1K like this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo; HH Diamond
I would second the Plaza Premium suggestion if you like asian flavored dishes and have complimentary access to it. I have been going there for a quick bite and a desert and then to the AY non-Schengen lounge for drinks and more spacious accommodations.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 10:21 am

Just be aware that most lounges close at 6pm local time currently.

I would also head to the non-Schengen lounge for most of your time at the airport. Its nicer than the Schengen counterpart
Old Jan 30, 2022, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Freddorick
Just be aware that most lounges close at 6pm local time currently.

I would also head to the non-Schengen lounge for most of your time at the airport. Its nicer than the Schengen counterpart
Wouldn't it change come Tuesday?
Old Jan 30, 2022, 11:34 am

Both of the daily HAM flights depart before 6 PM, so the current lounge closing time won't be an issue.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Wouldn't it change come Tuesday?
unless Finnair decides to save some money, it should, yes.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 2:37 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
If OP is flying SEA-HEL direct (like I assume) that won’t be before June anyway. Plenty of time for the lounge opening hours to change before that. 😀

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.