Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Going through HEL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Going through HEL

An opportunity popped up to attend an ice driving school near KTT so I jumped on it. ... Then I found out how hard it is to get to the arctic circle. LOL. Oops.

In order to max my BIS miles on DL, it looks like the best route would be CVG-JFK-AMS-HEL getting in around 1015, and then recheck on Finnair for the HEL-KTT flight. There is an 1125 flight that would be idea in order to make sure I catch the bus with the rest of the group. The last time I was in HEL was just before 9/11 so I have no idea how long it would take to get my bag and get back through security. Is it doable or should I come out the day before and enjoy an afternoon in Helsinki in the middle of February.?
Old Aug 17, 2021, 12:38 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by photojojo
getting in around 1015, and then recheck on Finnair for the HEL-KTT flight. There is an 1125 flight
With checked bags, no way.
photojojo likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 2:06 am

Programs: AY
With checked bags you can forget that. I flew AY with checked bags from HEL on 30.7. and it took me 2,5 hours to get from the check in queue to the gate
photojojo and esledo like this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Originally Posted by HotelWhiskey
With checked bags you can forget that. I flew AY with checked bags from HEL on 30.7. and it took me 2,5 hours to get from the check in queue to the gate
Yikes! Where is the bottleneck? At the ticket counter or security? Would only packing a carry-on be better?

Am I correct to assume AY is like most American carriers and I'm allowed a laptop satchel along with my roller?
Old Aug 17, 2021, 7:07 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
It doesn't usually take 2.5 hours. Right now, my usual experience is that once you've cleared all inspections and reach the baggage claim, the bags are already there or will appear in less than five minutes. However, 70 min on two separate tickets and with current health inspections will only work with a lot of good luck. Have that plane 15 min delayed and/or a stand arrival, and you're out of luck even with a carry-on only. Sorry.

HBO only would have you arrive in the transit hall, with only a health inspection before you can go straight to your KTT gate (if you have a BP). I still wouldn't risk it. The health aunties can be slow and there could be long queues.
photojojo and HotelWhiskey like this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by photojojo
Yikes! Where is the bottleneck? At the ticket counter or security? Would only packing a carry-on be better?

Am I correct to assume AY is like most American carriers and I'm allowed a laptop satchel along with my roller?
2.5 hours is not normal (took me <10 minutes today in the middle of the day though that was with priority check-in and no line at security) but if you are unlucky and come to the airport at a busy time, you may end up waiting a lot at both check in but especially security. Check-in is less problematic since the check-in machines are rarely the bottleneck and the automatic bag drop usually works well, but there can be lines there too.

Arrival can also vary a bit since passengers arriving from AMS will have to undergo a health documents check which can have lines.

Finnair officially allows 1 piece of hand luggage + 1 personal item, though if your flight is an ATR and your hand luggage is the same size that I often see on american flights you may have to check it.

Anyway, a bit above 1h is risky even in normal times, so with the additional health documents check I would probably just arrive earlier to be safe..
Old Aug 17, 2021, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
What MIGHT work, is flying DL until AMS only and fly AY AMS-HEL-KTT - this way your bags are checked through and you just need to pass the health aunties airside.

Still, you have the same questions in AMS, but maybe there's a longer layover or something
Old Aug 17, 2021, 1:44 pm

Arctic Circle Raceway is one of my bucket list items. Enjoy!!!
photojojo likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 1:47 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
The safest option would be to get everything on a single booking. Some HEL-KTT flights are available from AF.
photojojo and remymartin like this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
What MIGHT work, is flying DL until AMS only and fly AY AMS-HEL-KTT - this way your bags are checked through and you just need to pass the health aunties airside.

Still, you have the same questions in AMS, but maybe there's a longer layover or something
I looked in to that (DL can get me to AMS, CDG, MUC pretty easily) but the fare (Delta 0ne) was ~50% higher and so was the AMS-HEL-KTT. MUC/CDG-HEL-KTT were all several hours with a connection.

Courmisch I didn't see that option anywhere, but I'll do a deep dive this week to see if I can find it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.