Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling to Finland

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by DrSickle
And to get back on topic: Apparently Finland has proposed legislation to allow vaccinated people to enter (among other things, completed vaccination series only), but the way I read it a negative test on/72h before arrival would still be required, although this is solely based on the reporters choice of words. (Source, in Finnish https://www.hs.fi/politiikka/art-2000008001136.html) Lately legislation regarding border traffic has been rather unsuccessful, so I am not expecting much at this point.
Sounds to me like a potentially nice step forward! (My AS elite status gives me preferred seating on YA US-HEL-CPH by way of OW.)
Old Jun 17, 2021, 7:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Looks like Finland will open up for vaccinated travelers from next Monday from EU and I assume Schengen. Indeed. Raja:

Entry into Finland from EU and Schengen countries and from Andorra, Bulgaria, Ireland, Croatia and Cyprus is permitted for persons holding a certificate of an acceptable Covid-19 vaccination series completed at least 14 days before arrival in Finland, proof of having had Covid-19 infection and of having received at least one dose of an approved coronavirus vaccine at least 7 days before arrival in Finland, or proof of having had Covid-19 infection within the last six months.

https://news.err.ee/1608250689/finnish-government-opts-to-open-borders-to-vaccinated-travelers-from-monday

I

Last edited by florens; Jun 17, 2021 at 7:52 am
Old Jun 17, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Yes indeed: https://intermin.fi/-/maahantuloa-su...nguageId=en_US

Also: internal border controls will be lifted from travel between Finland and Poland and between Finland and Hungary. Finland now restricts entry from Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

And from non-Schengen: restrictions on entry will be lifted for traffic arriving in Finland from Monaco, Romania and San Marino.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 8:41 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by LoungeEnthusiast

Also: internal border controls will be lifted from travel between Finland and Poland and between Finland and Hungary. Finland now restricts entry from Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

And from non-Schengen: restrictions on entry will be lifted for traffic arriving in Finland from Monaco, Romania and San Marino.
Do they now have an airport in San Marino? If not you need to travel via Italy that is on the blacklisted countries' list. Yet another 'logical' COVID restriction...
florens likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
Do they now have an airport in San Marino? If not you need to travel via Italy that is on the blacklisted countries' list. Yet another 'logical' COVID restriction...
Does it matter if there is an airport or not? The border is already open for direct flights from the Vatican City heliport.

San Marino has a sea border, so it might be possible to set up commercial ferry traffic between San Marino and Finland.
the810, florens and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by florens
Looks like Finland will open up for vaccinated travelers from next Monday from EU and I assume Schengen. Indeed. Raja:

Entry into Finland from EU and Schengen countries and from Andorra, Bulgaria, Ireland, Croatia and Cyprus is permitted for persons holding a certificate of an acceptable Covid-19 vaccination series completed at least 14 days before arrival in Finland, proof of having had Covid-19 infection and of having received at least one dose of an approved coronavirus vaccine at least 7 days before arrival in Finland, or proof of having had Covid-19 infection within the last six months.

https://news.err.ee/1608250689/finni...rs-from-monday
Seems that this change is aimed at permitting non-leisure travel which, obviously, is an important step. We will see how much longer it is before folks can take a vacation there from Norden, let alone UK/US.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
The official news from the Ministry of Interior asserts that fully vaccinated tourists from EU and/or Schengen area will be admitted from June 21st.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by LoungeEnthusiast

What does the lifting of border controls means exactly? Is it just about moving from routine check to spot checks, or removing entry requirements for those two countries altogether? I.e. will vaccination be required for Hungarians and Poles as well?
Old Jun 17, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
In my understanding, removing restrictions in the context of the so-called internal (Schengen) border means returning to pre-Covid normalcy, i.e. same as domestic flights.
the810 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Courmisch
In my understanding, removing restrictions in the context of the so-called internal (Schengen) border means returning to pre-Covid normalcy, i.e. same as domestic flights.
Reading the Finnish text I understand the same - HU & PL -> FI back to normal. No idea how/why exactly these two, but a start. Reading on, also RO -> FI is back to normal (e simple passport check)

For the rest, I read as follows - EU/Schengen for work, no limits. EU/Schengen for tourism - with vaccination or proof of positive test.

Good news. Hopefully more in July.
the810 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 2:21 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Reading the Finnish text I understand the same - HU & PL -> FI back to normal. No idea how/why exactly these two, but a start. Reading on, also RO -> FI is back to normal (e simple passport check)
These countries are below 25 / 100 000 / 14, which is the arbitrary figure set by the Finnish Government. It does not follow EU guidelines. Also Malta and Iceland are in this group.

I wonder how this will work in practice. Bussing straight to arrivals hall 2B without any controls, or arrival via the current domestic terminal?

Protip: if anyone wants to come to Finland, just change planes at WAW.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005
Protip: if anyone wants to come to Finland, just change planes at WAW.
So you're supposed to route your trip like this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 4:49 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Well, that leads to my next question: Is it based on residency or travel patterns? I don't mean to misuse anything but if I'd spend ~2 weeks in Poland, would I be able to go into Finland under normal rules?
Old Jun 17, 2021, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Courmisch
The official news from the Ministry of Interior asserts that fully vaccinated tourists from EU and/or Schengen area will be admitted from June 21st.
Would this include the possibility of a fully vaccinated US citizen tourist flying over from CPH?
Old Jun 17, 2021, 11:34 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Im a new user
Exactly. This is to promote global warming.

Originally Posted by the810
Well, that leads to my next question: Is it based on residency or travel patterns? I don't mean to misuse anything but if I'd spend ~2 weeks in Poland, would I be able to go into Finland under normal rules?
While we don't know for sure yet (and the list of countries might change, too, so don't plan and book too far into the future), in practice this will most likely be based on where a singe aircraft is coming from. WAW planes will be treated differently from BER planes. There should be no health inspection and no border control when arriving from WAW.

You are not misusing anything. They create the system and take full responsibility for it.

Originally Posted by Phrastus
Would this include the possibility of a fully vaccinated US citizen tourist flying over from CPH?
Probably not. But on a direct flight from WAW/BUD/KEF, yes.
the810 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.