Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling to Finland

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2020, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
The Finnish gov't is supposed to review the travel rules next week - I don't see how long they can keep this up in view of the rest of Europe being more or less open.

The Tallinn loophole is easy, take Lufti to TLL, 10 mins ride to the port and sail over. Or (speaking for our Southern neighbours) why not have a holiday in Estonia? Not just Tallinn, get out of there and see the country, it's really worth it. Relatively few people do and it's their loss.
Ed Size, florens, SPBanker and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
The Finnish gov't is supposed to review the travel rules next week - I don't see how long they can keep this up in view of the rest of Europe being more or less open.

The Tallinn loophole is easy, take Lufti to TLL, 10 mins ride to the port and sail over. Or (speaking for our Southern neighbours) why not have a holiday in Estonia? Not just Tallinn, get out of there and see the country, it's really worth it. Relatively few people do and it's their loss.
Fully agree with the second part of your post and as you say, let‘s hope the Finnish govt. will review and update the travel restrictions.

Tartu has a cool vibe and the Estonian national museum which is worth a visit. Pärnu has great beaches. Viljandi is a nice city as well. Saaremaa has Europe‘s largest meteorite crater. And throughout Estonia there are nice parks with hiking possibilities.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 3:23 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Finnish government does not want to allow travel to/from Sweden, so it can't allow travel to/from central Europe which has several countries on similar levels as Sweden. I don't think that the rules are not supposed to make sense, so there are no needs for the government to adjust them to close loopholes either.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today the gov't announced that from 13/July travel will be back to normal to/from DE, AT, CH, SK, HU, SL, LI, IT, HR, CY, IE, GR in addition to the current few. Final decision on 10/July. Also announced threshold - 8/100k new cases in a rolling 14 days period.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Jun 24, 2020 at 1:32 am Reason: Added GR
Old Jun 23, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: AY LUMO (500K+), Marriott Abassador, Hertz President Circle, Hilton Diamond
yes, taking a boatride to Tallinn, and rent a car from there to discover Estonia is convenient enough. Boatride 10-20eur. Would suggest to discover a bit @ Saaremaa & Hiiumaa as well.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Today the gov't announced that from 13/July travel will be back to normal to/from DE, AT, CH, SK, HU, SL, LI, IT, HR, CY, IE in addition to the current few. Final decision on 10/July. Also announced threshold - 8/100k new cases in a rolling 14 days period.
So I need to ask AY to rebook. Hope they find some free seats for me.

What are the rules? I read it online it says, that I m only entilted to rebook free of charge when I did the booking on April 1st and later, I made the booking way before, but needed to change it because AY canceled my original flights. So is this technical a booking made after the 1st of April?
Old Jun 23, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Ed Size
And let‘s hope Tönnies doesn‘t ruin it.
Ed Size likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ed Size

What are the rules? I read it online it says, that I m only entilted to rebook free of charge when I did the booking on April 1st and later, I made the booking way before, but needed to change it because AY canceled my original flights. So is this technical a booking made after the 1st of April?
CS told me that as I booked my flight before March, there is no limits to the amount of change possible, but if I had booked after March, it'd be one change only. (I'm not sure into which category March itself falls)
Ed Size likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
CS told me that as I booked my flight before March, there is no limits to the amount of change possible, but if I had booked after March, it'd be one change only. (I'm not sure into which category March itself falls)
That sounds good, I booked already 2019. I m just not sure when I confirm the new dates at the current situation. It looks als uncertain at the moment.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:52 am

I wonder how they came up with the number of .000112 new cases per inhabitants over 14 days. It means countries with little testing could potentially be cleared for very wrong reasons, and it begs the question how often the allowed list will be refreshed (and how dependent territories are counted).

Arbitrary limits are sadly unavoidable if you want fact-based rules. But when it's not a round number (e.g. .00014 i.e. 1 per 10000 per day), it smells of picking a number based on countries to allow or disallow rather than rationality.

Of course, what remains most ridiculous is the lack of transitivity. AFAIK, Germany has reopened the border with all the Covid-naughty European countries (Spain, France, Benelux, Italy), so if Finland reopens the notional border with Germany, err...
Old Jun 24, 2020, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8/100k is incredibly tight - and Ohisalo still missed BE & CZ which are also within that limit.

The EU is supposed to set twice that number when discussing opening the outer border for 3rd country travelers

and yes, DE is a loophole an elephant can walk through
Old Jun 24, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: A3
Can someone let me know how Finnish authorities control people entering Finland? If I live in country in EU which is not marked as safe but I arrive from DE or GR how my place of permanent stay/nationality will be checked (if at all)?
Old Jun 24, 2020, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think nobody knows. My guess is they won't check.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by nieszprot
Can someone let me know how Finnish authorities control people entering Finland? If I live in country in EU which is not marked as safe but I arrive from DE or GR how my place of permanent stay/nationality will be checked (if at all)?
If you can reasonably show that you were in DE or GR for the last 14 days, I suppose you would be fine.

If not (and I guess that's what your question is about), then it's very iffy. There will presumably be no checks on arrival at HEL, but who knows if the gate staff at your departure airport won't show a little bit of zeal.

Better to have a family visit or business invitation for the time being. Or arrive via ferry from Tallinn where there are most likely no checks at all.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by nieszprot
If you arrive from any other country than The Baltic states or Nordic countries (except Sweden), there will be passport control on arrival at HEL. They will check your eligibility to enter Finland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.