Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:53 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
An interview with Topi Manner

An interview with Topi Manner:

https://www.businesstraveller.com/fe...097d-164773953

• Finnair will not alter frequencies to HKG despite the ongoing event.
  • On the partnership with Juneyao: "We are committed to developing it in the future."
  • Even though LATAM is leaving Oneworld, AY will maintain the codeshare partnership.
  • Apparently, no A321XLRs for Finnair:
We have been looking at that, and I think for many airlines I can see the logic and the market. In the case of Finnair, we don’t see a use case. With the focus on Asian megacities, capacity and slots are somewhat constrained. So, I think our long-haul fleet is very well suited to serving those cities, with more widebodies.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Interesting that he doesn't mention cargo capacity. Isn't that a decisive factor for AY?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by florens
Interesting and also a bit disturbing comment:

I read it in a way that that they are unbundling also business class fares and are planning to start charging for everything (lounges, meals, drinks, baggage...) separately also in business class???
remymartin likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja

I read it in a way that that they are unbundling also business class fares and are planning to start charging for everything (lounges, meals, drinks, baggage...) separately also in business class???

Didnt emirates try that? Havent heard much about it... I see a mess in the making...
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:56 am

If Manner really meant what he said, that would mean lie-flat seats in Euro J and paid meals. Compared to today, that's actually not too bad
Old Dec 7, 2019, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by BT Interview
You’ve launched a codeshare with Chinese airline Juneyao, and they are expanding into European destinations like Dublin, Manchester and Athens. What do you get out of the partnership?

We are happy and proud to be their partners. They have opened Shanghai to Helsinki and next summer are expanding with fifth freedom flights. It’s mutually beneficial. We are committed to developing it in the future.
Why can't they ask more direct questions, like will AY codeshare on the 5th freedom segments? "Mutually beneficial" seems to point in the direction, or am I overanalysing this?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond

I agree with that interpretation, it is not even between the lines but quite straightforward. I could see a point to offer solid hard-product and cut J food&wines as additional service, as at least inbound, not many will consume that much alcohol and night flight dining is also acceptable loss. Maybe some (or many) would also be willing to pay for flatbed+prio security+good mileage if the price is right, and status would grant you lounges so why bother paying for it in a J fare.
Economy for masses, Y+ for people wanting bit more room, J basic for person wanting privacy, rest and working capability, J plus for...movie stars? In long run it might be that J plus would actually die out like F in many routes.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
Without being conspiratorial: This sounds like a first step towards eventually eliminating "non-Basic" parts of J service, by initially making them paid upgrade, and then pointing to low demand for these parts of the service before scrapping them completely.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
I agree with that interpretation, it is not even between the lines but quite straightforward. I could see a point to offer solid hard-product and cut J food&wines as additional service, as at least inbound, not many will consume that much alcohol and night flight dining is also acceptable loss. Maybe some (or many) would also be willing to pay for flatbed+prio security+good mileage if the price is right, and status would grant you lounges so why bother paying for it in a J fare.
Economy for masses, Y+ for people wanting bit more room, J basic for person wanting privacy, rest and working capability, J plus for...movie stars? In long run it might be that J plus would actually die out like F in many routes.
Everything but space onboard is cheap. I mean if you pay nowadays 2000€ for your J LH ticket how much is spent on food onboard? 20€ or less per direction? Offering J experience in Economy Comfort seats will bring you a good discount .
Old Dec 7, 2019, 5:51 am
R2

This will inevitably push AY even further away from the previously announced target of providing Europe's best LH Business class. Why cater for proper champagne (or champagne glasses for that matter) if only 5/26 pax bought that part of service?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Perhaps AY should first test selling J service as a addon fee in Comfort...

I personally would not mind but I would steer clear from J- if I paid for J...

Any new info on the coming of Y+?

Instead of racing to the bottom AY might invest in service & quality innovations 😮😂

Wishful thinking I know
vulle likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: AY Lumo, AF Platinum
Problem with this unbundling for me is I don’t know in advance if I will want to eat on board or not. I think it cheapens the perception of the J product and is not a good move.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: AY Platinum/OWE
Oh no so now they are actually going for this unbundling...

For me also the entire point of a J-fare is the all-inclusive nature and guaranteed full service. Also, I can only see that this decreases the overall quality of J service, as at the moment AY is notoriously incapable of providing a consistent experience with only a single service model.

I am happy that my need for LH travel will decrease rapidly. I had been considering moving to revenue J for LH, but in the future Y comfort with an adequate sleeping medication will do just nicely if this is the way AY is going.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:53 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Unbundling of any fare is bad.
Unbundling of J fare is beyond stupid. Not even going to waste energy on listing arguments, but just imagine the average AY crew handling a situation where they actually need to know exactly what tray goes where and which seats they need to peddle food to. Chaos in the cabin.

And the ambiance in the J cabin with these small conversations to make everyone feel appreciated:
"Sir todays specials are.. Sadly you didn't preorder but I can offer you chicken of fish for 35€. Drinks not included."

The J cabin service is nothing to write home about as it is, but make every FA a peddler and you'll see the service attitude drop to the floor for anyone stupid enough buying a J ticket.

But nice to see Finnair going for 4-class flights, with a industry new (Y, Y+, J and J-)...
vulle likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I wonder who they specificly would target with these? Businetic passangers ex-EUR? They don't pay for their ticket, so will opt for full service J on other airlines. Few UK or DE companies mandate AY as a carrier. (to paraphrase the old adage: "In Germany noone gets fired for flying Lufthansa") Domestic crowd appreciating direct flights? Even these days I see few Finnish speakers in the C cabin towards Asia, AY is just so stupidly expensive ex-HEL. Worse product for exorbitant prices? Will that idea really fly (pun intended). Asian pax? Notoriously demanding crowd, will not accept J-

PS - suddenly it seems that TK Elite+ is not so impossible to reach if AY goes with J- ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.