Free drink for OWE in SH Y

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2019, 2:02 pm
bil
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum
Free drink for OWE in SH Y

Hello,

Does AY provide free drinks (or snacks) in Y for OWE and a guest?

If so what is the protocol? Should I show my card when asked to pay?

Thanks in advance

Bil

Old Aug 30, 2019, 4:48 pm

They serve you one free drink (anything from Coke to champagne). Not sure about gin and tonic (maybe only gin). One person travelling with you is also entitled to this treat. Very seldomly they are proactive, Sometimes they just don’t charge anything and ocassionally you have to tell them. In the last case they usually re-check the passenger manifest and rarely you need to show the boarding pass / FF card. Rarely it turns out that the member of cabin crew does not have any clue of the benefit. A free snack is a available only to the AY’s own Platinum Lumos (a status above OWE). The benefit is not available on very short flights when there is not any time for selling food. Even in these cases it may happen that you hear a whisper saying that there is no service but just you may choose any drink (it mostly happens on domestic triangle routes).

My experience is based on being a Finnish BA Gold.
ffay005 and Clydez like this.

Last edited by nordic; Aug 30, 2019 at 4:57 pm
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:12 pm
bil
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nordic
They serve you one free drink (anything from Coke to champagne). Not sure about gin and tonic (maybe only gin). One person travelling with you is also entitled to this treat. Very seldomly they are proactive, Sometimes they just don’t charge anything and ocassionally you have to tell them. In the last case they usually re-check the passenger manifest and rarely you need to show the boarding pass / FF card. Rarely it turns out that the member of cabin crew does not have any clue of the benefit. A free snack is a available only to the AY’s own Platinum Lumos (a status above OWE). The benefit is not available on very short flights when there is not any time for selling food. Even in these cases it may happen that you hear a whisper saying that there is no service but just you may choose any drink (it mostly happens on domestic triangle routes).

My experience is based on being a Finnish BA Gold.
Thank you so much for this thorough reply. The flight is LHR-HEL so it should be fine in terms of time.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Worth remembering that a free drink for OWE is not an official benefit, even if in practise it happens often.

(I.e. if FA ”denies” a complimentary beverage for OWE there is very little ground arguing.)
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by esledo
Worth remembering that a free drink for OWE is not an official benefit, even if in practise it happens often.

(I.e. if FA ”denies” a complimentary beverage for OWE there is very little ground arguing.)
Errrhh..NO, it is official perk for OWE traveller and a companion.
If cabin attendant refuses it she/he has not read the written instructions. Some of them just simply do not understand different OW tiers and a diffrence between PLAT vs.OWE is just pure mystery.
nordic and lkrt like this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
I am BA Gold / OWE and sometimes cabin crew says "you are Platinum member, right?". I think their tablet can not make a difference between AY Plat and OWE from other programs.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: AY+ Plat basic
Has gin&tonic always worked out for you OWE/platsku guys or has someone had to pay extra for the tonic part?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 2:40 am
R2

Originally Posted by kanamurva
Has gin&tonic always worked out for you OWE/platsku guys or has someone had to pay extra for the tonic part?
That would be incredibly petty if you had to pay for the tonic water...then they might as well revise the policy to 'half a free drink'.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 2:59 am

Well those are listed as separate articles on the menu so technically they are 2 drinks. But of course culturally G&T is an institution so that's why I'm asking.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by florens
I am BA Gold / OWE and sometimes cabin crew says "you are Platinum member, right?". I think their tablet can not make a difference between AY Plat and OWE from other programs.
I usually reply saying that I’m OWE and it causes no problem.

I don’t fly a lot in AY short haul Economy apart from domestic flights. I think out of 50 flights I have had a 100 % success rate. In one case they did not know anything but believed that I was right. This was in the introductory phase. I emailed and asked about the benefit. The answer confirmed that I was right. I showed the reply to the cabin crew on the second case of not knowing. Both cases were on Norra ATR flights. At least the latter purser learned the rules and even extended them. I remember her offering me a drink proactively during a short no-service sector of a domestic triangle flight. Only one other person received a drink. I’m sure she did not recognize me two years later after the first incident.
florens likes this.

Last edited by nordic; Sep 1, 2019 at 5:56 pm
Old Aug 31, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by ff_flyer
Errrhh..NO, it is official perk for OWE traveller and a companion.
If cabin attendant refuses it she/he has not read the written instructions. Some of them just simply do not understand different OW tiers and a diffrence between PLAT vs.OWE is just pure mystery.
Okay, you seem pretty confident about this. And I have asked this multiple times from AY CS.

So where are those those written instructions so I can quote those in the future as OWE? I’m sure you can send me some links or something so that for sure I get my complimentary drink next time in AY Y as that seems to be the norm.

Last edited by esledo; Aug 31, 2019 at 5:30 am
Old Aug 31, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
If you travel alone then it usually works. The tonic is then for AY your "partner's" drink.
FFlash likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Jainzar
If you travel alone then it usually works. The tonic is then for AY your "partner's" drink.
But have you got a data point that it doesnt work if you travel with someone and he also takes a drink? In other words 2 g&ts wouldn't work?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Jainzar
Haha, good one! ”I would like to have a Gin with Erica” would sound a bit harassing but then ”A Gin for me and Tonic for Erica” would produce a bit confused reply
Old Aug 31, 2019, 8:29 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
But have you got a data point that it doesnt work if you travel with someone and he also takes a drink? In other words 2 g&ts wouldn't work?
When I still was platsku (until spring this year) I never had problems ordering two gin and tonic, one for my partner and another for me.
kanamurva likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.