Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

ATR hub at HEL aka Lapland satellite terminal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond

It has been discussed there and there but maybe worthwhile opening a new thread for the topic. Today I clocked a 10min walk from the lounge, hence with the renovation works, strongly pointing towards skipping lounge breakfast completely and just taking taxi to T1 and coming directly to gate (overall, saving 20-30min of time). This setup essentially means devaluation of status benefit for frequent ATRers -> silver would suffice well, especially given that most ATR destinations do not have lounge/proper lounge at all. Coffee voucher or similar in the T1 cafes would be quite nice handover but unlikely.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
The distance to ATR satellite is really long. Saturday evening I clocked a 8 min walk from the gate 8 to the arrival hall 2A. Why Finavia don't invest for moving walkways? If you have transfer from ATR hub to the new Schengen gates, you need to walk over 30 minutes.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Originally Posted by Reissuruuna
The distance to ATR satellite is really long. Saturday evening I clocked a 8 min walk from the gate 8 to the arrival hall 2A. Why Finavia don't invest for moving walkways? If you have transfer from ATR hub to the new Schengen gates, you need to walk over 30 minutes.
There is no space for moving walkways in the current terminal setup. The corridors are too narrow for them. I would actually not be surprised if there were regulation (building code or similar) that forbids Finavia from installing moving walkways.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by deissi
There is no space for moving walkways in the current terminal setup. The corridors are too narrow for them. I would actually not be surprised if there were regulation (building code or similar) that forbids Finavia from installing moving walkways.
Moving walkways are not always an advantage if you want to proceed quickly. Quite a few people just stand in the walkway, moving slower than if you were just walking on a normal floor. If I am in a hurry, I quite often just bypass these.
on22cz and miikkak like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Despite the walk is a long one for HEL, I still prefer it to bus transportation especially when arriving and continuing within Schengen. So in the end neither is great.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
I like walking. 50% of the time I've landed in HEL having arrived from Australia via SIN/HKG/NRT/BKK, after 2 10+h flights that walk feels amazing
The other 50% I am thanking Finavia for making me walk to Platinum Wing so I'll spend at least some of the extra calories I'll be stuffing my face with.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Why Lapland terminal ? AY's Lapland flights are Airbus and so not using gates 5-11.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by Jainzar
Despite the walk is a long one for HEL, I still prefer it to bus transportation especially when arriving and continuing within Schengen. So in the end neither is great.
Despite the early reluctance to me I prefer is at well - I think this also has something to do that somewhere from last year the bus always left you at the gate ~30ish which is a long walk towards the crowds in the afternoon wave instead of the before right by the lounge ~gate20ish?. They also do some kind of priority boarding from these new gates which is a plus on ATR with scarce space. I just wish they would starting priority boarding from outstations as well where you walk to the plane.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Why Lapland terminal ? AY's Lapland flights are Airbus and so not using gates 5-11.
It is so far away so it could very well be Lapland But true, technically one could also call it "Tallinn North". Although 55 whatever the last NS-gates are, is more south.

Not that walking would be bad, but I would strongly question "easy transit" via HEL if one lands in the far reaches, especially with no services nearby.
napapiiri likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Has this new Tikkurila North terminal abolished the need for a bus ride on all ATR flights, or do they still happen?

I haven't flown ATR in years, but will have RIX coming up next month.

AY used to have a domestic lounge in T1 (which you could also use for international flights). Perhaps it would have been in order to build a small lounge in the Tikkurila North terminal.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by ffay005
Has this new Tikkurila North terminal abolished the need for a bus ride on all ATR flights, or do they still happen?

I haven't flown ATR in years, but will have RIX coming up next month.

AY used to have a domestic lounge in T1 (which you could also use for international flights). Perhaps it would have been in order to build a small lounge in the Tikkurila North terminal.
Happen time to time but very seldom as I still believe there is no room for all ATR departures and also some SK CR9 use those gates as well.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:18 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by ffay005
I toyed with the idea of multiple mini-lounges scattered over the airport. It would be handy for those who want to be close to the gate (I do), and also for the locals, departing from e.g. T1. The wasteland in west pier could also do with a lounge.

It could be smaller spaces, fairly automated, ie very little staff needed. Turnstyles entry gate, coffee/tea machines, snack and sandwiches as self service.

I kind of liked the idea at first, but then I realised we would only complain about it not carrying all the same services/brands as the main lounge complex does
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by intuition

It could be smaller spaces, fairly automated, ie very little staff needed. Turnstyles entry gate, coffee/tea machines, snack and sandwiches as self service.
You do realise, that you are describing AirBerlin's (RIP) "Exclusive waiting area"
FFlash likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:12 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Hehe, despite my loathing of AB!
SAS does it too at smaller airports...

But I was thinking as a complement to the main complex.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
AY definitely needs one more lounge at T1

logistically, it would reduce folks wandering between 20+gates and T1, freeing up space in corridors
ffay005 and cistavoda like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.