Wiki Posts
Search

Security at HEL T2

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Security at HEL T2

I didn't see a relevant thread to post this in. If there is such, I trust the mods will move this one there.

My last few fights out of HEL have all been intra-Schengen so I have just gone straight through at the main security (or upstairs to priority, if on AY). Today, however, I'm off to the UK for the first time since March so I turned left and went down to the end, to the 'lesser-known' channels. Surprise, surprise: they are closed (except for staff). I've always thought that I follow this forum fairly closely but I somehow missed any mention of this change.

Last edited by henry999; Jun 12, 2019 at 4:04 am Reason: spelling
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I believe T2 Left security is closed because of the renovation works. It used to be a great fast track for non-Schengen flights.

When parking at P3, I always use T1 security. It's usually empty, and there's even a priority line there.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
The T2 left security is still open in the morning, but now it seems to close before the afternoon. I don't know why.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by r2d2
The T2 left security is still open in the morning, but now it seems to close before the afternoon. I don't know why.
They turned me away about 11.00 this morning. They said it was for henkilökunta only.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: AY LUMO
T2 Security left is open only at HEL rush hours.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
T2 Security left is open only at HEL rush hours.
Any idea when they started that?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:27 am

It used to be open also during the afternoon wave, but now it's open only in the morning.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by ffay005
When parking at P3, I always use T1 security. It's usually empty, and there's even a priority line there.
So it's allowed to enter security at T1 with a boarding pass for a T2 departure? Good to know. Thanks!
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:26 am

Finavia must read this forum, according to their app the T2 left security is currently open with a waiting time of 4 minutes
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
So it's allowed to enter security at T1 with a boarding pass for a T2 departure? Good to know. Thanks!
yes you can use any security checkpoint for any flight, there are not really two "terminals" but two departure halls and three luggage claim areas and after security it's just one area - perhaps not even signs saying T1/T2 (because T1/T2 are really departure halls and not terminals).
There are some new gates at the end of the T1 area which are now used by finnair domestic flights, so if you stick to airport authority terminology you would check in at T2 and depart from T1!

sometimes the upstairs priority security area in T2 is also open for non-priority customers although i'm not sure there is any way to find out when they are doing this apart from go up the escalator and see for yourself.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by riku2
sometimes the upstairs priority security area in T2 is also open for non-priority customers although i'm not sure there is any way to find out when they are doing this apart from go up the escalator and see for yourself.
Non priority-security is open during the rush-hours. It is easy to check looking at the monitors visible even downstairs. Annoyingly, the priority security is closed during the late evenings even though the queues are not long at that time. Any priority lane accepts any FF card allowing the use of it (eg Star Gold members are allowed to use T2 and OWEs are allowed to use T1 priority security).

The only trick is BA. Only OWEs (including BA Gold) using BA CE are allowed (this is not written anywhere) . BA CE passengers without OWE are not allowed. BA golds flying AY (and other OW?)are always accepted.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by nordic

Non priority-security is open during the rush-hours. It is easy to check looking at the monitors visible even downstairs. Annoyingly, the priority security is closed during the late evenings even though the queues are not long at that time. Any priority lane accepts any FF card allowing the use of it (eg Star Gold members are allowed to use T2 and OWEs are allowed to use T1 priority security).

The only trick is BA. Only OWEs (including BA Gold) using BA CE are allowed (this is not written anywhere) . BA CE passengers without OWE are not allowed. BA golds flying AY (and other OW?)are always accepted.
Any Oneworld tier will work incl Ruby and Sapphire when flying AY.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
yes you can use any security checkpoint for any flight, there are not really two "terminals" but two departure halls and three luggage claim areas and after security it's just one area - perhaps not even signs saying T1/T2 (because T1/T2 are really departure halls and not terminals).
Yes, I know they're interconnected. I've walked on the airside between them. Never just thought of going through security at the other terminal, when my flight is from the other one. The concept of interconnected terminals isn't HEL specific anyway.

There are some new gates at the end of the T1 area which are now used by finnair domestic flights, so if you stick to airport authority terminology you would check in at T2 and depart from T1!
Okay, haven't had one from there, so it's interesting hear that.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Never just thought of going through security at the other terminal, when my flight is from the other one.
sometimes after check in at T2 the queues for security have been so long that i've walked to T1, gone through security and walked back and it was still probably quicker than waiting in the queue in T2.
Things will be slightly quicker now since they seem to be removing the travel agent/airport agent offices in the walkway from T2 to the station and making the passageway wider. One might hope for a moving walkway but I doubt it.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: AY+ Plat basic
Finavia is warning customers for queues. Is the upstairs priority security check always basically queueless or have you experiences some waiting times there as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.