Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Do you compensate your CO2 emissions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you compensate your CO2 emissions?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Co2 offsets are pretty inexpensive. About $10 for round trip trans Atlantic in economy.

I have never felt compelled to be green but find it can often be easier and less wasteful. When we were looking for our current house we found a place within walking distance of shops. We hardly drive anymore, walking or cycling everywhere. We got rid of one car and fill the other one up once every 3 weeks. We also had the option from our local power company to get all of our electricity from renewable sources for an additional 3.12 cents per kWh.

None of this was difficult nor particularly expensive.
TTL and SPBanker like this.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by RoxyMountain
We also had the option from our local power company to get all of our electricity from renewable sources for an additional 3.12 cents per kWh.

None of this was difficult nor particularly expensive.
Wow. Just last week I renewed my 2-year contract for electricity. I pay 4,48 eurocents/kWh and zero monthly fees. In addition to that there are taxes to be paid and fees for the network operator, so the total cost for electricity is a lot more, but still.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:56 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Travel service providers are taking note of this, too.

I believe SAS and Lyft, for example, already offset all CO2 emissions. Delta has some sort of scheme for corporate accounts, too, although it's a bit complicated. Your company may even do the offset themselves.

Bottom line: if you're concerned, take it to your company's travel team. You may be surprised what they say.
Old May 4, 2019, 7:11 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
And my answer to the initial question:

No, I do not compensate. This is not based on any pejorative attitude, it is simply because this game is about optimise points per €.

An truly green and innovative airline would offer tier and award points on the compensation. Maybe miss K can launch a "climate compensate your next flight and earn 2x points" in june?
Old May 4, 2019, 7:18 am

I want to offset my flights. I went to www.carbonfootprint.com and it seems suspiciously cheap to offset the flights I actually chose to take, rather than occasional work-related flights. The schemes, such as paying for reforestation, sound plausible. Given the prices I see, I would probably pay for my work flights as well.

What are the best offset schemes and choices?
Old May 4, 2019, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
Wow. Just last week I renewed my 2-year contract for electricity. I pay 4,48 eurocents/kWh and zero monthly fees. In addition to that there are taxes to be paid and fees for the network operator, so the total cost for electricity is a lot more, but still.
Correct me if I am wrong but I think Finland has some of the lowest electric costs in the region. Countries like Germany are twice that.

We are very fortunate to live an in area of the world that has access to lots of renewable energy from multiple sources. Even if we did not pay the supplement our prices are crazy cheap and 35% of the normal mix is renewable.

An interesting by product of these low prices is that you do not see much solar on the roofs of houses. In SoCal you see it everywhere but here it is not so common as it takes longer to make back your investment.
Old May 4, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Never.

I choose myself where I want to spend my world-saving attempts.

Strictly speaking, the only way to save is to stay home. But tomorrow I fly again.
TTL and cistavoda like this.
Old May 4, 2019, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I have never felt compelled to be green but find it can often be easier and less wasteful.
No disagreement here, except that I'd turn around causality

We also had the option from our local power company to get all of our electricity from renewable sources for an additional 3.12 cents per kWh.
For us this would mean an extra 700€ or so p.a. Why should I pay for the power company's "greenness" - they obviously have the technical knowledge & capacity to generate "green" energy, but no willingness to supply it at market rates, ie no willingness to make the material sacrifice of being "green"
Old May 4, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Correct me if I am wrong but I think Finland has some of the lowest electric costs in the region. Countries like Germany are twice that.
No countries like Germany are more in the 28Cent - 30Cent direction - more then 50% of that are taxes/fees. (fees we pay for greener energy)
Old May 4, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
No disagreement here, except that I'd turn around causality

For us this would mean an extra 700€ or so p.a. Why should I pay for the power company's "greenness" - they obviously have the technical knowledge & capacity to generate "green" energy, but no willingness to supply it at market rates, ie no willingness to make the material sacrifice of being "green"
I see that we are in a transitional period. In the case of my local utility they get 35%, and growing, of their power from renewables. They are a not for profit and get most of their power from another not for profit. The end goal is to get 100 percent renewable electricity by 2030. I doubt they will get there but it will be close. They are already planning on shutting down one of their coal plants 20 years early.

I am in a unique area of the country though. Lots of wind, solar, an even hydro available.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ed Size
No countries like Germany are more in the 28Cent - 30Cent direction - more then 50% of that are taxes/fees. (fees we pay for greener energy)
I was referring to the base rate, exclusive of fees and taxes. Currently the renewable energy surcharge (EEG-Umlage) in Germany is 21%.

I know this is a divisive topic in Germany but the world benefited greatly from Germany and China's early investment in renewable tech. Not just from slowing the growth of Co2 but more from achieving the economies of scale that dramatically reduced the infrastructure costs.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
Na, if they going to charge me then just put in on the air ticket price.
ffay005 and Superrman like this.
Old May 4, 2019, 12:26 pm

What does the electricity company do for that extra money? Do they reduce production of non-renewable energy for the benefit of renewable energy? If not, what is the point of paying extra for your electricity?
Originally Posted by FFlash
I choose myself where I want to spend my world-saving attempts.
What do you mean with world-saving? The world is quite good at protecting itself. If people increase CO₂ emissions too much, it will just have the effect that all humans die, and so the world is safe.
FFlash likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Some person
What does the electricity company do for that extra money? Do they reduce production of non-renewable energy for the benefit of renewable energy? If not, what is the point of paying extra for your electricity?
Good question. I went to the website to find out. It appears they use it to expand their wind energy production. Apparently we are in a good area for wind and the result is our electric rates are among the lowest in the the state. Even when combined with the cost of a Renewable Power subscription our rates are 31% lower than state average.
Old May 4, 2019, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
A number of you have asked what exactly the different CO2 offset programmes do and whether they actually manage to offset any carbon - can I suggest those of you who are skeptical actually look into it?
Yes - practically nothing.

Originally Posted by TBD
I believe SAS and Lyft, for example, already offset all CO2 emissions.
While at the same time, Lyft just becomes a major contributor to CO2 emissions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.