Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Do you compensate your CO2 emissions?

Old May 3, 19, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold

Alright here we go. I kind of started this thread because this whole ''flight shaming'' and that ''feeling of guilt'' I'm supposed to have when flying annoys the heck out of me. What has happened to society?
I was wondering what my fellow FT'ers think about this whole thing, this whole green & social policing that's going on at the moment.

Lately I have been receiving remarks from colleagues saying that I really have ''a very high personal CO2 emission'', or climate related questions such as ''You could do these meetings online in a video conference, why would you have to fly there?'' One of my colleagues told me last week that he writes down all the flight journeys he makes in a year and then at the end of the year he calculates his CO2 emission and then pays some kind of non-profit organisation to compensate his personal emission. Hundreds of euros a year.

Am I the only one who thinks this is all a bit too much? I totally get we need to think about our environment, but this flight shaming is new to me, and I think many companies use this whole ''green-thinking'' as a way to easily save some bucks or even earn from it. (e.g. airports charging money for kiss & ride, airlines no longer oferring paper newspapers, hotels asking to use the same towel multiple times etc.).

Do you think that Finnair should offer CO2 compensation when booking a flight? Just like KLM for instance does? Or do you compensate your CO2 emission yourself? And.. what do actually think about this flight shaming?
Purjelentaja and Superrman like this.
Old May 3, 19, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by EuroFlash View Post
Lately I have been receiving remarks from colleagues saying that I really have ''a very high personal CO2 emission'', or climate related questions such as ''You could do these meetings online in a video conference, why would you have to fly there?'' One of my colleagues told me last week that he writes down all the flight journeys he makes in a year and then at the end of the year he calculates his CO2 emission and then pays some kind of non-profit organisation to compensate his personal emission. Hundreds of euros a year.
These are indicators of a sanctimonious company. Some can tolerate those environments; I can't. I recently left a company like that and joined a different one where I work the same hours (40 per week), earn twice as much (US$150,000 more), and get no shaming from my coworkers. Follow my lead!
Old May 3, 19, 3:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, Avis Preferred Plus
I donít pay compensation. In fact, compensation payments would ruin me!
FFlash likes this.
Old May 3, 19, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
AY or not, here is my question - if I do pay, what exactly do I pay for?

FWIW - when I pay tax, I know that the money collected will be used for public purposes (in theory). But to offset CO2 emission? Does that mean I pay to help excess CO2 disappear? And who will be benefit from the payment?

I don't object the idea of reducing emission. I just want to make sure the money is well spent. Otherwise, it may be better to use the same money on things that helps reducing emissions.
ffay005, esledo, GeeTee77 and 2 others like this.
Old May 3, 19, 3:55 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I fail to understand how the indulgence trade of the 21st century would do anything good for the environment. Surely the fact that some zeroes and ones are moved electronically from one bank account to another can't make the CO2 emissions in the world any smaller. The biggest hoax of our times?

What I do understand is that some people trick their conscience into believeing that parting from a random amount of money makes everything right, and if they want to believe that, it's fine by me.

So no, I most definitely don't pay anything. I use that money for a new flight ticket to some exciting destination.
Cupart, florens, Steve_Hun and 4 others like this.
Old May 3, 19, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bdsm; Jul 11, 19 at 4:06 pm
Old May 3, 19, 5:45 pm

Programs: Free agent
Do I compensate my CO2 emissions?

Never.
ffay005 and cistavoda like this.
Old May 3, 19, 11:12 pm

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
For me itīs a handy excuse not to fly all the time. Anyhow sooner or later we all gonna pay for it, so I m happy for all flights I can take without the extra fee.
Old May 4, 19, 1:54 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBG
If flight tickets are priced so that they take into account the correct price of carbon (finding this is no simple task in itself), then emissions will be reduced by an appropriate level, as consumers will not value the flight more than the new cost, and the industry will have an interest in cutting emissions to save money. Until then, any voluntary "compensation" scheme is negligible in effect. But yes, the last decades of insanely cheap flights can't go on, atleast not with the same amount of emissions from it.

"Flyskam" has been mentioned in Norway as well, but only as a Swedish "cultural export". Moralism like this is common in politics, but not useful for actually reducing emissions.
Old May 4, 19, 1:58 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY Plat, IHG Plat, Visa Plat, PP Prest, BT Vip, FB Irony
Never! Who in right mind would? Who uses the compensation money and what for?

PS. I drive an all electric i-Pace (wind-energy plan 12 cents/kWh - around 4 km per kWh) and at my summerhouse all electrical appliances work by solar energy (10 x 140 watt panels), fridge and cooking with propane. That is my contribution to a greener world and will be.
cistavoda and Steve_Hun like this.

Last edited by TTL; May 5, 19 at 8:35 am Reason: PS
Old May 4, 19, 2:33 am

Not through the obscure airline schemes. But yes through the more concrete schemes out there, such as HiilipŲrssi, which restores Finnish peatland to increase the carbon intake of the land.
Old May 4, 19, 3:32 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
why would I pay some "non-profit" any of my hard earned money ..
Old May 4, 19, 4:16 am

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
No way - pure greenwashing for the company and feel-good-by-doing-nothing for the payer.

Not much more than "liking" something on Facebook and as a result thinking of self as an activist.
ffay005, cistavoda and Steve_Hun like this.
Old May 4, 19, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Originally Posted by Superrman View Post

"Flyskam" has been mentioned in Norway as well, but only as a Swedish "cultural export". Moralism like this is common in politics, but not useful for actually reducing emissions.
I find it interesting how this has become an international "meme" lately. I don't see there is such a shaming or moralism in the general Swedish debate.

Perhaps the international community has combined the stardom of Greta Thunberg with the preconception that it is typical swedish to lecture the world, and ended up with flight shaming must be a swedish invention?

What there is, and has existed for many years, is a wider public knowledge of emissions, in particular CO2 emissions. In the light of the relatively high number of air trips the average swede do, flight emissions are naturally exposed, both in media and in everyday talk.

With that comes the occasional fanatic who might use shaming in everyday talks. It also has become a more common angle in media, but not in a way that motivates this meme.

One way to see this, and getting back on topic, is that one current question in politics is to allow government authorities to do climate compensation. They currently can't as they risk to be reprimanded for wasteful use of public means. Thus they can't fly (or travel much) even when needed as they are also targeted with the emissions goals of government.

So there is a force for better governed compensation programs which would in fact put a quality stamp on them (removing some of the doubts presented in this thread)
Gnopps likes this.
Old May 4, 19, 5:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Tit, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
So, I donít personally offset my CO2 usage at the moment, though I might start doing it one day. A number of you have asked what exactly the different CO2 offset programmes do and whether they actually manage to offset any carbon - can I suggest those of you who are skeptical actually look into it? There is an abundance of info about how this works and (I donít know about Finnair specifically), most of the legit offset programmes fund things like modernised oven facilities in the third world so not so much needs to be burnt. Iím obviously the last person to moralise, but the tone of some of the posts above grated somewhat!
Gnopps likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: