Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Plane delayed likely to miss connection? What should I do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plane delayed likely to miss connection? What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
You can find the previous flights from multiple sources.

This is one: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/OHLWE
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by Spinstorm
However I did pay for these flights so why not take them! And earn those TP for flying.
ORC for something else than BA is always up to the discretion of the OW partner, not BA, because BA will inquire for the FFP credits from the carrier in question. AA is more dependable for that, but there's no guarantee with others than BA. Thus I personally always try to reroute myself so that I get at least the same amount of TPs. (If not more. ) Don't rely on ORC when you're a close shave away from retaining your status. It's always safer to have an updated itinerary. In this case flying HEL-OSL-HEL was indeed your best call in all circumstances. Just get the hotel expenditure in Oslo from your travel insurance and you're all good. Other options would have required working out some more complex reroute for the TPs and it wouldn't have been feasible.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
I asked Finnair for compensation and this is what they said:

​"By virtue of EC regulation 261/2004, no compensation will be paid in the case of a cancellation or delay due to extraordinary circumstances Finnair is unable to influence even if all reasonable and necessary measures are taken. Such unusual conditions include weather conditions, strike, air traffic restrictions and safety risks. The cancellation of flight the flight from Helsinki on was due to The political situation in Pakistan. after that the flight was delayed due to air traffic control restrictions.

As these are extraordinary circumstances, the standard compensation will not be paid."

Is that correct? I'm not aware of my flight coming or going to Pakistan! But I'm not an expert here so I'd appreciate help in getting compensation. Thanks.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:03 am

Is that correct? I'm not aware of my flight coming or going to Pakistan! But I'm not an expert here so I'd appreciate help in getting compensation. Thanks.
Your delay was on the LHR-HEL route, right? The aircraft on that route often arrives to HEL from somewhere outside Europe in the morning, does HEL-LHR-HEL during the day and then leaves for somewhere outside Europe in the evening. It could very well be that the incoming morning arrival to HEL had crossed Pakistani airspace.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:50 am
Original Poster

My flight wasn’t cancelled.

Furthermore according to @Aviating it didn’t come from Pakistan. And the delay was aircraft rotation before it left Helsinki.

Can anyone one who understands this better figure out what’s correct?
Old May 6, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
Accoring to Flightaware the aircraft was actually was late leaving Singapore, this two flights before your flight.

It did fly on its way SIN-HEL over Pakistan.

EDIT: Before leaving from SIN the plane was on the ground @SIN for almost 7 hours.

How much back does the airline want to go in the analysis?

Last edited by Aviating; May 6, 2019 at 8:34 am
Old May 6, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I remember having seen some precedence about these kinds of situations somewhere. No source, but off the top of my head: if AY leaves HEL late due to weather, SIN-HEL is seen as extraordinary. (Or if the flight is affected by Pakistani airspace closure, which in itself is, in my books at least, extraordinary). The reason for this is that AY does not have a hub at SIN.

But once the plane is back at HEL, the following flights are considered independent because HEL is AY's hub, and AY has, or might have, or should have, other planes available. So HEL-LHR-HEL cannot be blamed for something that happened earlier in that plane's life.
Ed Size likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by ffay005
But once the plane is back at HEL, the following flights are considered independent because HEL is AY's hub, and AY has, or might have, or should have, other planes available. So HEL-LHR-HEL cannot be blamed for something that happened earlier in that plane's life.
Exactly. The HEL-LHR-HEL rotation has nothing to do with Pakistan space closure. Weather would only be a point if the weather either in HEL or LHR would cause the delay.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:00 pm

Similar case: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...t-airport.html where a U2 Belfast-Paris flight was delayed due to bad weather in Amsterdam.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Does this mean I have grounds to open a complaint on this?

Because the journey from Singapore didn’t make any difference to the plane sitting on the ground at Helsinki. And the delay was caused by the aircraft rotation not weather or dangerous flight space....
Old May 6, 2019, 3:35 pm

Does this mean I have grounds to open a complaint on this?
I found something in the FAQ in the BA compensation thread:
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
15) What about knock-on effects?
This relates to disruption caused by aircraft being in the wrong place, at the wrong time, leading to you being disrupted. For example if you are due to fly from Cape Town to London but your aircraft is still stuck in New York due to a blizzard. In that situation you should be entitled to compensation.
This sounds very similar to the situation here, where an LHR-HEL flight was delayed to HEL due to airspace restrictions in Pakistan.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Some person
I found something in the FAQ in the BA compensation thread:This sounds very similar to the situation here, where an LHR-HEL flight was delayed to HEL due to airspace restrictions in Pakistan.
AY behaviour is ridiculous. It is somewhat understandable to be stuck at outstation due to late incoming aircraft than at HEL where they can swap planes IF they want but choosing not to take such measures or other fix is a deliberate choice and all but extraordinary IMO
Ed Size and esledo like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 11:13 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by FFlash
HEL where they can swap planes IF they want

How do You know at HEL there is spare 359 waiting for swap at 6AM Saturday morning,
Old May 6, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by OH-LGG

How do You know at HEL there is spare 359 waiting for swap at 6AM Saturday morning,
They can take other measures as well, AY has plenty of time to replace the aircraft, as they know about the delay 12hours+ in advance. The delay on the HEL-LHR route has nothing to do with the delay of the incoming plane from SIN if we are talking about compensation.
Old May 6, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Ed Size
They can take other measures as well.
Like which aircraft in fleet are available and able to load 297 pax and freight to LHR and back to HEL on Sat morning ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.