Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which ARN-HEL flight to choose

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Which ARN-HEL flight to choose

Trip is ARN-HEL-SFO in July. There are two possible flights for the first leg, both similar times. AY808 departs 12:55, arrives 14:55, on an ERJ-190. AY804 departs 13:15 and arrives 15:10, on an A321. Both flights would be in business class, no difference in fare. The first flight would allow a 1:25 connection, the second a 1:10 connection.

I'm curious why two short-haul flights operate so closely to each other and whether I should choose one over the other based on seat comfort, reliability, connection time, or catering.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Just out of a bit ARN-flying, the other is likely a tri-city route from BGO ->BGO-ARN-HEL AY flies during summer period whereas the other is normal Hel-arn-hel scheduled flight.

The hop from ARN to HEL has no upside, catering is likely same, J might be empty or not so "free middle seat" in Airbuses matters or not, in Embraer there is no such thing but on light loads they might sit only 1 pax/pair of seats. Airbuses will very likely have wifi, Embraers surely not.

And, the BGO-route is also more prone for delays so if you have tight connection at HEL, risk for it becoming even tighter is bigger than for basic HEL-ARN-HEL.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:58 pm

Note that AY flies from two airports, ARN and BMA. You might wish to search for flights from both airports. I don't think that any of the BMA-HEL flights offer business class, but maybe it isn't necessary for that short distance. AY has no problem selling economy class tickets for business class prices from BMA, so be careful with what you book.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
BMA flights don't have J.

If you have a large carry-on, it might be a good idea to avoid Embraers. While the bins will fit a full-size rollaboard, they are far smaller than on an Airbus, and you'd need to be among the first pax on the plane to make sure there's room in the J bins. With the Airbuses, that's less of a stress factor.

The Airbuses have an empty middle seat in J, but it's a very short flight.

Catering is virtually non-existent. You'll get a gas station cafeteria style cellophane wrapped sandwich and a drink regardless of the plane type.

I'd probably choose the earlier flight to increase the odds of a smooth, low-stress transfer, and be sure to be among the first to board to ensure my rollaboard will fit in the overhead.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:11 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
As this is FT, I would suggest the earlier flight as that would give more lounge time in HEL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.