Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Going to reach Plat but uncertain on the last 2'299 miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:01 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver

So, just realised that I have raked up enough points during my accrual period to reach Plat so did some checks and yes: I need a measly 2'299 point to reach Platinum after my next LH US work trip.

This made me make the decision to do my very first ever deliberate milage run. Before pulling the trigger, I used the calculator and made sure I chose one Value and one Light booking ticket (GVA-HEL return) which would accrue 3'350 miles including the Gold accelerator.
So this means I'll be 1'151 over what I need.

I booked the mileage run flight from a Sat to a Sun and when the ticket was issued I saw it was booking class Z. Using the calculator again, this only gives me 2'300 miles (including gold 10%) which leaves me at a total of 150'001 miles for this tracking period... Yes 1 mile over the needed which kind of worries me...

My question is: Which of the two mile calculation results are correct?

I'm basing my next US work trip booking codes on AY stock and the booking codes as recorded from our travel agency as well as the AY coded AA flights in the US (used the calculator again as per the ticket booking code, i.e. Finnair coded for the AA flights)
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Z can be either Value or Light, it depends on the fare basis, not just the fare class. So check your fare basis on the e-ticket.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
If your fare basis is something like ZLVA2FI, then it's Value and 100 %. If it's ZLI2FI, then it's Light.

Welcome to Platsku! Once you get it, you'll be hooked!
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:44 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lkrt
Z can be either Value or Light, it depends on the fare basis, not just the fare class. So check your fare basis on the e-ticket.
Originally Posted by ffay005
If your fare basis is something like ZLVA2FI, then it's Value and 100 %. If it's ZLI2FI, then it's Light.

Welcome to Platsku! Once you get it, you'll be hooked!
Ah OK, makes sene now...

Ticket states:

1) ZVA2SW, so Value = 2'300 miles
2) ZLI2SW, so Light = 1'150 miles

so, total miles accrued = 3'450 which gives me some wiggle room.

Thanks for the clarification.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
IIUC, the first letter is the booking code. If it's followed by 0, it's campaign fare with 25% earning regardless of the rest. On some routes, there is also an extra H or L to distinguish high and low seasons. Then comes the two letter code for the ticket type (LI, BA, VA, PR...).
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:33 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

As of my mileage run coming up shortly (scheduled for one of the next coming weekends) I will reach Plat the second I'm hitting terra firma on a Saturday evening around 23:00 Helsinki Time...

and that's with 170 miles to spare.

Ironically, I only have one set of flights scheduled for 2019 so far, and it's with CX in J - all my flights bar the odd Y intercontinental work trip - is out of own pocket...

Either-way, celebratory champagne in the lounge is on, erh, AY ^
ffay005, Tapio, SPBanker and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by Cupart
Ironically, I only have one set of flights scheduled for 2019 so far, and it's with CX in J - ^
I feel sorry for you ...what are you going to do with 2-LH and 4-SH upgrade vouchers that will expire within 1 month.
Cupart likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:51 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lento
what are you going to do with 2-LH and 4-SH upgrade vouchers that will expire within 1 month.
I'm planning to print them out, to then frame them and finally replace the wedding photo with the vouchers.
Then I'm going to learn some additional foul Finnish words from my better half, remove the vouchers, put the wedding photo back in its place, lean back and so feel it was so worth it (and a few FInnish words richer )

So, I have an issue with all this tbh.

I left Flying Blue - was gold for god knows how many years and was treated well'ish I guess - and decided to never become so obsessed with the whole flying status thing again, and to feel free from a certain group of airlines.

Now it's become even more of a "problem". All of my/our flying is out of own pocket (and because my spouse is a proper Espoo gal), AY (and OW in general) is the obvious choice... LH is, and always will be in J, SH mainly in Y and using Vouchers or points (my partner is also AY+ Gold) or as a feeder to the LH in J. Also I feel AY is not too expensive compared to *A (eventhough Swiss do have some really good F and J deals around the world)...

Anyway, I'm now going to enjoy the plat status when I get there and try and forget that I want to get out of it.

Bring on the Kossu (viina) I say...
lento, Teppo and SPBanker like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.