Wiki Posts
Search

Jfk-hel-svo skip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
Jfk-hel-svo skip

Hello - if I book JFK-HEL with a 2 day stop on HEL before continuing to SVO, and i skip HEL-SVO what are the chances of a problem? Will they check Russian Visa at JFK or wait until HEL as there is a stopover?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:57 pm

There is zero chance you’re getting on that plane (at JFK) without a Russian visa.
napapiiri likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
There is zero chance you’re getting on that plane (at JFK) without a Russian visa.
Really? Even though it'll be too early to check in to SVO given the stopover?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: LH SEN
This is bit of a tricky one.

Altea DC CM will not handle the HEL-SVO flight as a connection if there is more than 24 hours between. OTOH, I do not know if AY has got some other processes to check documents for pax with stopovers.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by revigik
Really? Even though it'll be too early to check in to SVO given the stopover?
AY is very thorough with their document checks at US destinations so I'm 99% sure you'll be denied boarding.

Plus, since you are ticketed to SVO, AY can only accommodate you on other options to SVO in the case of IRROPS for example SU's non-stop flight thus making you unable to fly unless you have a visa.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Plus, since you are ticketed to SVO, AY can only accommodate you on other options to SVO in the case of IRROPS for example SU's non-stop flight thus making you unable to fly unless you have a visa.
If there is a stopover at HEL how could AY reroute directly to SVO without passenger's consent?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
AY is very thorough with their document checks at US destinations so I'm 99% sure you'll be denied boarding.

do they check at check-in or boarding?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
In theory could one say they are getting the visa from the embassy in HEL?

Just a thought BUT personally I would not try to fly on such a ticket if I NEEDED to be in HEL 😁 but I am cautious
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
At check-in if you go there; otherwise at the gate.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:17 am

Both.

Originally Posted by esledo
If there is a stopover at HEL how could AY reroute directly to SVO without passenger's consent?
That's true. IIRC there was another one of these threads of skipping a segment to SVO, without stopover so in that case they would re-route to SVO.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Slightly off-topic: Some time ago I was flying LED-HEL (with stop over at HEL) and onward to the US next day. At the gate at LED they insisted seeing my US ESTA, even though I was flying only to HEL with Finnish passport, otherwise they wouldn't allow me to board the aircraft. Of course I didn't have the ESTA with me, and besides, even when flying to the US, there is no requirement of having ESTA printed out, but it will be checked automatically. After long and quite unpleasant discussion with the gate agents, they accepted seeing it from my email (where I luckily had stored it) on my phone. It was very bizarre, as flying home with granted entry to the country, the airline insisted showing them entry document to a third country!
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
In Russia, paper is king. And stamps, bureucrats importance is measures by the number of stamps he/she can make. Having made tens of Allergo trips in few years with longterm business visa one could think you would not need to fill in the same paperslips week after week but nooo, paper is king.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
Slightly off-topic: Some time ago I was flying LED-HEL (with stop over at HEL) and onward to the US next day. At the gate at LED they insisted seeing my US ESTA, even though I was flying only to HEL with Finnish passport, otherwise they wouldn't allow me to board the aircraft. Of course I didn't have the ESTA with me, and besides, even when flying to the US, there is no requirement of having ESTA printed out, but it will be checked automatically. After long and quite unpleasant discussion with the gate agents, they accepted seeing it from my email (where I luckily had stored it) on my phone. It was very bizarre, as flying home with granted entry to the country, the airline insisted showing them entry document to a third country!
Same deal at IST, TK staff as well as Gözen Security demanded a printed ESTA as well as a printed return ticket. Luckily I had both on me so it wasn't an issue.

Also surprisingly many people seem to print the ESTA copy and hand them to CBP on arrival which is unnecessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.