Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
This is a summary of rules and perks for AY+ members travelling on the new "unbundled" Light (basic) tickets

Seating
Seating will be automatic/random when check-in opens.
Seat selection is chargeable even after check-in opens.
Children will be seated next to one adult if booked in the same PNR. Adults and youths in same ticket can be spread all over cabin.

Tier member seat selection perk
AY+ silver gets free seat selection on BA operated flights from seven days before departure
AY+gold and plat gets free seat selection on any BA, AY and IB operated flight.
No one gets any free seat selection on any AA operated flight

Bag-allowance after applying tier perk
AY+ silver gets 1 bag on AY marketed and operated flights and on all AA marketed flights
AY+ gold gets 1 bag on AY marketed and operated flights, 1 bag on all IB marketed flights and 2 bags on AA marketed flights
AY plat gets 1 bag on all AY, IB marketed flights and 3 bags on AA marketed flights
No one gets any bags on any BA marketed flight.

Tier perks that works unconditionally
Premium check-in
Fast track security
Lounge access
Priority boarding
Print Wikipost

Light fares to North America

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by aama
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30365110-post150.html

As you can see in this post the table seems to be updated at some point so that's that

This is just ridiculous.
That contradicts the BA page

Travelling on other airlines

If your journey includes a flight with an airline other than British Airways, your checked baggage allowance may be different:
  • If every flight in your journey has a BA code (e.g. BA1234) you will get British Airways’ checked baggage allowance, even if some or all of the flights are operated by other airlines (so-called 'codeshare' flights).
  • If every flight in your journey has another airline’s code, you will get that airline’s baggage allowance.
  • If your journey includes a mix of BA and other airline codes (e.g. AA1122 or IB3210) you will get the allowance of the most significant carrier – usually the airline operating the longest part of the journey.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-es...age-allowances
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
Originally Posted by Jainzar
Again very, very, very confusing.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
I'm very confused on the baggage allowance with Light tickets to NA.

Bought couple of tickets to US where HEL-LHR is operated by AY and TATL part by AA, all flights are AY coded and issued by AY.

I assume that I can bring one checked bag as AY Plat to all flights no problem whatsoever, but what about AY Silver (OW Ruby) member? The free bag benefit is only applied for AY flights, right? Or is it to all AY coded flights?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Furry
I assume that I can bring one checked bag as AY Plat to all flights no problem whatsoever, but what about AY Silver (OW Ruby) member? The free bag benefit is only applied for AY flights, right? Or is it to all AY coded flights?
Does not really matter as AA will allow the 1st bag complimentary for OW Ruby, too.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by esledo
Does not really matter as AA will allow the 1st bag complimentary for OW Ruby, too.
But does it apply to "Basic Economy"?

For example in the chart posted few posts earlier it says that AY marketed, AA operated flight is 0 bags for Ruby.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by Furry
But does it apply to "Basic Economy"?

For example in the chart posted few posts earlier it says that AY marketed, AA operated flight is 0 bags for Ruby.
You are reading the chart correct - it is 0 for OWR in your case. You may hope for a generous staff to waive the fee, but I'd be ready to pay.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
I'm also bit confused about this. I'm flying following route ARN-HEL-ORD-SNA and back to Arlanda with following route LAX-HEL-ARN.
Flights from Arlanda to Santa Ana are ticketed by AA and operated by Finnair except ORD-SNA.
If I have correctly understood I will receive 2 free baggages as Finnair Plus Gold? (based unbundled fares reference guide) or I have missed something here?
My next question is that I'm flying with someone who does not hold any status will this baggege allowance extend to him as well?

Flights back are operated by Finnair and ticketed by Finnair, so If I correctly understood I will receive one free luggage. Again, the question is that if that baggage allowance will be extended to my travel company who does not hold any status?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
The baggage benefit is personal, so no. You can of course check his bag as your own, should you be entitled to enough bags.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Flying Whale
If I have correctly understood I will receive 2 free baggages as Finnair Plus Gold? (based unbundled fares reference guide) or I have missed something here?
I have seen several confusing and contradicting rules for how much baggage you may bring. One chart here, not sure if it's up-to-date: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30365110-post150.html
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
It has gotten so difficult to understand the baggage rules on Transatlantic Light fares that in the end I decided to buy a PE ticket to USA just to be sure I can check in my two bags without hassle at the airport. On my flights the cheapest Light fare was about 1100€, the cheapest PE fare was about 1400€ and the cheapest non-Light economy fare I could find 2200€. Go figure
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:09 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
A great business tactic: Ancillary revenue by obfuscation
Old May 2, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by haapalainen
It has gotten so difficult to understand the baggage rules on Transatlantic Light fares that in the end I decided to buy a PE ticket to USA just to be sure I can check in my two bags without hassle at the airport. On my flights the cheapest Light fare was about 1100€, the cheapest PE fare was about 1400€ and the cheapest non-Light economy fare I could find 2200€. Go figure
In the end the Light fare managed to screw me one more time. I had to change my return date and routing CLT-MAD-HEL in PE became CLT-ORD-HEL in Y as Finnair doesn't have PE yet. I paid 180€ change fee but got some 30€ back due to price decrease but guess what, nobody told me I ended up with a Light ticket even though booking class was M, all AA flight numbers on AA ticket. The funniest part was AA agents in CLT who insisted they have no idea where the amount 84$ as bag fees came from and I should just pay what the computer says before I could check in. In the Flagship lounge in ORD they investigated the bag fee for good 20 minutes before two phone calls to Oneworld halpdesk fare department was able to tell that the fee for second bag was because Finnair rules say 1st bag free as OWE and 2nd bag costs 75€=84$. AA's MMB or OLCI didn't have any mention about baggage allowance so I have now come into conclusion that nowadays there is no way to know in advance how many bags one can take in Y on transatlantic flights.
Old May 2, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Always fly J. Problem solved.

Well, honestly, this sounds like a complete mess. If there is a JV, then surely the rules shoud be the same, regardless of ticketing or operating carrier.
flyingeph12 and Superrman like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ffay005
Always fly J. Problem solved.
Agreed 100%!

Originally Posted by ffay005
Well, honestly, this sounds like a complete mess. If there is a JV, then surely the rules shoud be the same, regardless of ticketing or operating carrier.
It's a total mess. At least OP wasn't charged for the first bag. I believe Basic Economy booked via AA allows no checked bags on transatlantic flights, and the only exceptions are for AAdvantage elites. So as a OWE, no free checked bags. (Plus, a 2nd checked bag on AA is normally $100, so $84 is actually better.)

Last edited by flyingeph12; May 3, 2019 at 7:55 am Reason: I am confused...
Old May 2, 2019, 11:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
This is really poor I agree. If frequent flyers have troubles figuring out what and what not then how is it for infrequent travelers.

I personally think this whole complicated system is unacceptable, not only since we are talking of traveling within the same alliance but also because top tier elites don‘t get the same benefits everywhere.

Last but not least, the worst part is that often airline IT is so bad it doesn‘t reflect what is and it makes everything much more complicated.

Utter chaos this is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.