Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Bad experience on Finnair AY6 AA codeshare - where to complain?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK; Marriott Plat

Had a pretty bad experience on AY6 JFK-HEL today, in J:
- IFE didn't work for the whole cabin - they kept rebooting throughout flight to no avail
- All bathrooms except one was inoperable from almost the beginning of the flight
- WiFi didn't work for some 5h of the 7h flight ("Searching for satellite" in portal) (think might be related to the IFE rebooting somehow)

Also as they kept rebooting the IFE - seat power and controls were off intermittently for some 20min periods at a time. Zero announcement, apology or proactive compensation offered in-flight - just told it's an "unfortunate situation" when asked..

I was on an AA ticket stock and codeshare number, should I complain to Finnair or AA? I'd rather not have Finnair points as not on their program.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Complain to Finnair (and somewhere you should mention you are OWE). They usually offer a choice between a voucher or points.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
Sorry to see you were on the second half of the rotation. I was on the inbound on that same aircraft from HEL to JFK, also in business. It was absolutely TERRIBLE - we experienced much the same things as you did. I sent a complaint through Finnair's on-line form and have not heard anything back - not even an automated "your comments have been received and someone will get back to you."

I am OWE and was treated like crap the entire flight. I was asked for my meal choice last, served after everyone else in the cabin had been served, no drink order taken at all until after the meal was already served, etc. This was my first time flying Finnair, so maybe this is normal? OWEs have no status on board?

It just reminded me of flying Lufthansa business class 15 years ago. Terrible.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by SkyTeem
I am OWE and was treated like crap the entire flight. I was asked for my meal choice last, served after everyone else in the cabin had been served, no drink order taken at all until after the meal was already served, etc. This was my first time flying Finnair, so maybe this is normal? OWEs have no status on board?

It just reminded me of flying Lufthansa business class 15 years ago. Terrible.
Well well... can happen anywhere anytime. I have taken multiple AA flights in the U.S. as Finnair OWE but never got anything like reported here elsewhere such as free drinks, snacks, let alone upgrade to better seats. Just as a reference. For me the airlines own elite are to be "deserve better attention" than foreign-OWE. But it is just my opinion.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:10 am

OP, if I were to complain, I'd primarily go with the operating airline although, if you have status w/ AA, approaching AA might not hurt. A year or so ago, I had an AA-issued codeshare ticket on AY5/6, then AY decided to enter into a wet lease arrangement w/ Hi Fly on that route...and the experience, as one would imagine, was absolutely horrendous!

I (AAdvantage EXP) initially went to AA but, since they had nothing to do w/ the flight operations on AY, AA gave me a "good will" 5000 AAdvantage miles credit and suggested that I work this out with AY. I followed AA's advice, and AY issued a 200 Euros AY gift card, which I thought was fair.

As for the WiFi situation...I've done 3 or 4 round trips on AY5-AY6 in the last year or so, and I've found their onboard WiFi unstable at best...to the point I stopped asking FAs about it. On a couple of the flights, WiFi pretty much never became available and, on others, it just came and went. Since it is free in J, it didn't occur to me that I could have complained...but I certainly will from now on!

Originally Posted by SkyTeem
.. I was on the inbound on that same aircraft from HEL to JFK, also in business. It was absolutely TERRIBLE - we experienced much the same things as you did.... I am OWE and was treated like crap the entire flight. I was asked for my meal choice last, served after everyone else in the cabin had been served, no drink order taken at all until after the meal was already served, etc. This was my first time flying Finnair, so maybe this is normal? OWEs have no status on board?...Terrible.
I am so sorry to hear, SkyTeem! Maybe the FAs were all stressed out w/ the multiple malfunctions (...not that that would justify treating you poorly...)?

I am non-Finnair Plus OWE like you and I fly AY a lot...and I can tell you that my experience has consistently been positive. Their FAs usually, though not always, come to personally greet me and thank me for my business. Perhaps I am not treated any better than other customers in J, but I have never felt that I was treated less well because of my non-Finnair Plus OWE status. My only complaints about AY are the WiFi instability (which also happens on other airlines, too, in their defense) and their quirky meals...which could be hit or (monumental) miss...
SkyTeem likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by nyc10036
Since it is free in J, it didn't occur to me that I could have complained...but I certainly will from now on!
For a while now, it is offered free for one hour only in J. Only AY Plats get free wifi for the whole flight.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
Originally Posted by FFlash
I have taken multiple AA flights in the U.S. as Finnair OWE but never got anything like reported here elsewhere such as free drinks, snacks, let alone upgrade to better seats. Just as a reference. For me the airlines own elite are to be "deserve better attention" than foreign-OWE.
I do fly quite often on domestic AA flights. In my experience I am treated as an AY Emerald pretty much like an AA Exec Plat (except that no upgrades). Additional bag, same day standby, standby priority, first checkin, free main cabin extra seats, priority security and boarding all works fine. The only big thing which is not extended to AY Emeralds is the upgrades. On the other hand we do get access to the First lounges even on domestic flights, which is not the case for AA card holders.

The one thing that you need to make sure is that the Emerald status is printed on the boarding pass along with boarding group 2. It seems that the FF status does not get right in the system if the AYFF# is not entered to each segment separately. For AAFF# it is enough that it is in the reservation, but the AYFF# needs to be added to each segment. You know that this is correct when boarding group 2, the FF status and priority security are printed on the boarding pass. This ensures that you get your free snack+drink on the domestic flight and usually that the points usually are registered in your AY account.

If the the boarding pass do not show the correct information, I usually ask them to correct it at the checkin, in the lounge or at the gate.
FFlash likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Thanks Aviating ☺️
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by Aviating
I do fly quite often on domestic AA flights. In my experience I am treated as an AY Emerald pretty much like an AA Exec Plat (except that no upgrades). Additional bag, same day standby, standby priority, first checkin, free main cabin extra seats, priority security and boarding all works fine. The only big thing which is not extended to AY Emeralds is the upgrades. On the other hand we do get access to the First lounges even on domestic flights, which is not the case for AA card holders.
Airport procedures work. It is onboard that it gets complicated. The complimentary snack is the difficult one, I reckon.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK; Marriott Plat
Just to close the loop here: I complained on Finnair's web site, got offered a 400e voucher or 250e cash with a prompt 1 day reply. Thanks for pointing me in that direction!

I paid for the Wifi as it was only 1h free, so think it was worth complaining about as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.