Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Scanned historical material available online

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards

Finnish Aviation Museum has published new scanned material online, for instance Aero/Finnair timetables, menu cards, flight tickets and other kinds of printed items since 1920's. They can be found here: https://ilmailumuseo.finna.fi/?lng=en-gb

Earliest timetable is from 1928, and flight ticket from 1927. Quite alot has changed since!
harri, florens, DALtoAAL and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:36 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Brilliant!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Looking at the front page pictures there, the (in)famous business class meal thread has got its predecessor there, albeit the presentation (drawing, not a photo) decades ago was nicer
The other photo with lady serving the meal shows the tray concept okay that is not fair comparison given the equipment and that non-exisiting in the past.
Anyway, just reminded me of something
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
"Diner: Consommé, Pain, Beurre, Fromage". It always amazes me how even the most simple foods sound so much better in French. Glad we have not yet seen this "enhancement" on Finnair flights today.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:29 am

Frequent flyers could buy a carnet of tickets which could also be used by children and the wife .No mention of husbands. A last Frequent flyer was unknown, I suppose.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
OMG, those meals! Smoked Salmon, Foie Gras, Tournedos Rossini, etc,et,etc. Those were the days. Comparing with the blob they (and basically every other airline)serve these days on their long haul business, it really has been like on another planet back in those days. I guess there were less mileage runners flocking in premium cabins in their sweatpants as well..!
Old Jul 4, 2020, 1:24 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Old business class menu

Found this tucked inside a book about military history at a flea-market in Hämeenlinna (the book's previous owner was a Finnish officer per the exlibris). Anyway, the book was published 1996 so I think it is safe to assume this menu is from around that year or a little later.

Last edited by Gnopps; Jul 4, 2020 at 1:41 am Reason: Added images as attachments instead of links
Old Jul 4, 2020, 1:36 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
@Gnopps, I can't see the menu, maybe you forgot to add it?
Old Jul 4, 2020, 1:41 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by intuition
@Gnopps, I can't see the menu, maybe you forgot to add it?
How about now?
Old Jul 4, 2020, 1:48 am
Moderator, Finnair

Very artistic. And a flair from past time. Menu in four languages, from when the ties to LH were strong.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by intuition
from when the ties to LH were strong.
When AY had strong ties to LH?
Old Jul 4, 2020, 2:46 am
R2

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
When AY had strong ties to LH?
Back in the 90's before joining oneworld. IIRC, AY had 4 daily flights to FRA two of which were codeshare with LH...and maybe even MUC.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 2:56 am

In the 90’s after the co-operation with SK, OS and SR fell. AY and LH even co-located at T2 ARN where AY had non-stop flights to Germany. There were even codeshare flights from TKU to HAM. Then LH found SK and the co-operation continued only for Finland. It came to end shortly before Star Alliance was found. Finnair negotiated with Air France and there should have been code-share flights to CDG. It was cancelled before the flights started by AF when AY announced deep co-operation with BA. The co-operation with AF started later on.

Still, I’m not conviced that the German language in the menu was connected with LH. Even the announcements in the Express trains between Helsinki and Turku were in four languages Fin, Swe, Eng and Ger.

Last edited by nordic; Jul 4, 2020 at 1:27 pm
Old Jul 4, 2020, 3:04 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Yeah, they had something going on in early 90's

From annual report 1994/1995

Finnair’s most important and extensive partner is Lufthansa, with which a co-operation agreement was signed in 1991. On the basis of this agreement, Finnair’s connections via Germany have improved and feeder traffic between the two airlines has increased. Costs have been reduced with joint arrangements regarding ground handling and catering services. Airlines have also increasingly entered into ‘code-sharing’ agreements; these allow one airline to lease a quota of another airline’s air transport capacity at an agreed price or allow it to use its own flight designator on a partner airline’s flights. The lessee company markets and prices the leased capacity itself. Apart from Lufthansa, Finnair has agreements of this kind with Austrian Airlines, Iberia, Air China and Air Canada, and co-operates closely with Transwede, Maersk Air and Braathens SAFE
Old Jul 4, 2020, 3:21 am
Moderator, Finnair

Some reading of the market in 90's can be found here https://books.google.se/books?id=j4z...innair&f=false

But it is likely true the menu text does not have anything to do with LH itself, more with the fact that Gemany was a major destination. There was more traffic to Germany (FRA+HAM) than to England (LON):

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.