Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New to points hobby, advice for an infrequent flyer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to points hobby, advice for an infrequent flyer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY/Gold, SK/Basic
Back to the original topic, I now have a couple of fligts ahead, though long distance they are campaign-class tickets so they won't accumulate too many tier points..

Finnair HEL-NRT , Q-class = 4600 pnts (4000 points +15% Gold)
Finnair KIX-HEL, Q-class = 4600 pnts (4000 points +15% Gold)
Qatar HEL-DOH-MLE, V-class = 50% FInnair Plus miles ~ 2400 points
Qatar MLE-DOH-HEL, V-class = 50% Finnair Plus miles ~2400 points

Total 14000 tier points - 66000 more to earn if I wish to remain Gold next year...
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I think you calculate the QR flights incorrectly

HEL-DOH-MLE is 7703 km (!) so at 50% it would be 3850 points or so each ways. Remember, AY is km based!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I think you calculate the QR flights incorrectly

HEL-DOH-MLE is 7703 km (!) so at 50% it would be 3850 points or so each ways. Remember, AY is km based!
Thanks for the clarification, so my projected tierpoint accumulation would then be 16900 so only 63100 more to earn .

Anyway, I'll get to benefit from my Gold-status on both these trips, there are Finnair or Oneworld Sapphire Lounges on every airport on the itineraries!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Kaff
Thanks for the clarification, so my projected tierpoint accumulation would then be 16900 so only 63100 more to earn .

Anyway, I'll get to benefit from my Gold-status on both these trips, there are Finnair or Oneworld Sapphire Lounges on every airport on the itineraries!
Although the Sapphire lounge at DOH is rather bad, I hear.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lkrt
Although the Sapphire lounge at DOH is rather bad, I hear.
Or is it "bad" as in comparison to their flagship F lounge?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:22 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Or is it "bad" as in comparison to their flagship F lounge?
It is apparently bad in comparison to the flagship J lounge as well. Only business class / first class ticket holders have access to the Al Mourjan and Al Safwa lounges, respectively. For Oneworld tier members, they have a separate business class (and maybe a first class?) lounge, which is reportedly very poor.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In January I'll get a chance to check out some - QR C fare as OWE
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:09 am
R2

Originally Posted by deissi
It is apparently bad in comparison to the flagship J lounge as well. Only business class / first class ticket holders have access to the Al Mourjan and Al Safwa lounges, respectively. For Oneworld tier members, they have a separate business class (and maybe a first class?) lounge, which is reportedly very poor.
I have been to what QR calls 'First class lounge' accessible to oneworld emerald members. It is definitely not very poor - they offer buffet food with several hot and cold dishes, desserts and a fully stocked self-service bar. It's not comparable to Al Mourjan or Al Safwa. Take the AY lounges in Helsinki as a benchmark and you should not be disappointed (but not overwhelmed either).
remymartin likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Finnair HEL-NRT , Q-class = 4600 pnts (4000 points +15% Gold)
Finnair KIX-HEL, Q-class = 4600 pnts (4000 points +15% Gold)
Between Europe and Japan, there are no Value fares, due to the AY/BA/IB/JL cartel. So 50% earnings are the best you can get, short of K/P/M/T booking brackets, or JAL premium economy - either of which are not really economical.

Qatar HEL-DOH-MLE, V-class = 50% FInnair Plus (...)
Qatar MLE-DOH-HEL, V-class = 50% Finnair Plus (...)
I am not familiar with QR, but I doubt that they would have better than 50% earnings to AY+ in any reasonable priced economy fare. The best options from Europe to Oceania would be either Finnair Value, or Cathay (via Europe then HKG) or Qantas (via SIN or LHR) Value-like semi-flexible fares - although I am not sure if the latter still even exist.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
CX can have pretty competitively priced 100% earning fares. I managed to earn ~22k tier points for ~650Eur spend recenlty (flew MEL-HKG-KTM and back). Booked months ahead though.
Managed to sample the Wing (good, comparable to QF F lounges) and the Pier (excellent, probably the best lounge I've ever been) at HKG too, as a side bonus (and partial motivation to flying CX). Oh and got op-upped on KTM-HKG segment too.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by juhanh
CX can have pretty competitively priced 100% earning fares.
Yes, but AFAIR, CX used to offer those fare separately as semi-flexible under whatever branding. Their new booking engine does not, so it is hit or miss what booking code you get, and if it will earn 100% or less.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Yes, but AFAIR, CX used to offer those fare separately as semi-flexible under whatever branding. Their new booking engine does not, so it is hit or miss what booking code you get, and if it will earn 100% or less.
Yep, CX changed their policy last year, seems to be that the times of ~500€ return flights earning 100% with them to Asia are over Looks like now Economy Save earns only 50% and Economy Standard 100%, but costing several hundreds of euros more. Fortunately it is not hit or miss, as before buying you can see the booking class to avoid a major mistake!

Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
Indeed it was very clearly denoted how much you earn. I think I paid around 125E extra to get a bump from 50 to 100%. But I digress, ex-AUS is not really relevant here
Old Jan 14, 2018, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Just came back from my trip to Japan. Although we caught the flu mid trip, the flights were great since we got to visit Finnair Premium Lounge in HEL and got a free bump to Business - BOTH WAYS . The Asuka lounge at KIX was hardly worth a visit but the Finnair Premium lounge really delivered food and drink wise!
Steve_Hun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.