Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Plat AY 'service' desk in HEL [split off from Höpö thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2016, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat Lumo

Höpöhöpö AY story time! :-:

I went to the AY "Service Desk" at HEL about two months ago to change a ticket I had (full flex) since I was already at the airport and appreciate face-to-face interaction over speaking on the phone. The lady at the desk seemed really nice but turned out to be one of the famous dragons. I was informed that the service desk is not for service but is instead for people with problems. She then proceeded to tell me that my ticket cannot be changed and that I should call customer service instead of bothering her and the long queue of 0 people. I then called plat line and everything was sorted FoC in 5 minutes. Encouraged by this experience I decided to try it again!

Fast forward to last week and I was at HEL again. This time I noticed that they have opened up a Platinum Priority Service Desk by the new priority check-in counters. I was feeling adventurous already! With my booking reference at hand I proceeded to the desk...
Agent: Where are you going today?
Me: Actually I just want to change my booking.
Agent: Well you must go to the service desk at the other side.
Me: I thought the Plat service was here?
Agent: Weeeelllll.. The Plat service agent is busy. (Clearly having a personal phone call just next to the desk)
Me: I'll wait.
---
Service: So what do you need?
Me: Change this booking to this date.
Service: This is for platinums and there are people queueing. (= 1 person being checked in by the CI agent)
Me: So then I'm in the right place! Change this booking to this date.
Service: You should call the customer service number.
Me: I don't want to. Could you change this booking to this date.
Service: We only deal with bookings for the same day.
Me: So you're telling me you are a service desk with no service?
Service: No. It is possible to change it. But if people with important matters show up I will stop.
Me: Fine. I'll wait.
---
She gave up and did the change. I was happy. She was not. I'm planning on trying to get the Service Desk to do everything from seat changes to award bookings from now on.

I think it's ridiculous that there's no f2f sales/service with AY anymore.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 5:26 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by cistavoda
Höpöhöpö AY story time! :-:

I went to the AY "Service Desk" at HEL about two months ago to change a ticket I had (full flex) since I was already at the airport and appreciate face-to-face interaction over speaking on the phone. The lady at the desk seemed really nice but turned out to be one of the famous dragons. I was informed that the service desk is not for service but is instead for people with problems. She then proceeded to tell me that my ticket cannot be changed and that I should call customer service instead of bothering her and the long queue of 0 people. I then called plat line and everything was sorted FoC in 5 minutes. Encouraged by this experience I decided to try it again!

Fast forward to last week and I was at HEL again. This time I noticed that they have opened up a Platinum Priority Service Desk by the new priority check-in counters. I was feeling adventurous already! With my booking reference at hand I proceeded to the desk...
Agent: Where are you going today?
Me: Actually I just want to change my booking.
Agent: Well you must go to the service desk at the other side.
Me: I thought the Plat service was here?
Agent: Weeeelllll.. The Plat service agent is busy. (Clearly having a personal phone call just next to the desk)
Me: I'll wait.
---
Service: So what do you need?
Me: Change this booking to this date.
Service: This is for platinums and there are people queueing. (= 1 person being checked in by the CI agent)
Me: So then I'm in the right place! Change this booking to this date.
Service: You should call the customer service number.
Me: I don't want to. Could you change this booking to this date.
Service: We only deal with bookings for the same day.
Me: So you're telling me you are a service desk with no service?
Service: No. It is possible to change it. But if people with important matters show up I will stop.
Me: Fine. I'll wait.
---
She gave up and did the change. I was happy. She was not. I'm planning on trying to get the Service Desk to do everything from seat changes to award bookings from now on.

I think it's ridiculous that there's no f2f sales/service with AY anymore.
I dont know WHY but some of the WORST SERVICE I have encountered AROUND THE WORLD I have had at the Finnair platinum check in and platinum service desk at HEL 😀😀😀!

Once tried to get BP there and the gent and lady were chatting together, I gave them my passport and asked to get boarding passes they gave me my passport back and pointed to the machines I handed my passport back and just said thanks I know where they are but I am sure you can manage to print them here too as a OWE she just shrugged, took my passport, printed my bp and gave them to me without a word. No thank you no have a nice day nothing

Every now and then I get lucky but generally NOT you would think these under performers would be put to desks where your most valuable flyer do not go I dont get the logic behind these placements
Old Aug 6, 2016, 6:49 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Yikes.

These people seems 100% qualified at getting a job with SK in CPH, and the competition for .....iness runs pretty high there!

Is this the one close to desk 232, to the left when entering T2? I had decent experience with that one, but only "challenged" them twice; once to check bags the day before take-off, once to get BP for return flight.

I do wonder what the "important matters" are that concerns platinums and does not have anything to do with ticket or BPs. Seriously, what is the purpose of the desk?
Old Aug 6, 2016, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intuition
Is this the one close to desk 232, to the left when entering T2? I had decent experience with that one, but only "challenged" them twice; once to check bags the day before take-off, once to get BP for return flight.
They have now moved the plat desk to the right side under the escalator to the upstairs security. The economy service desk is still at the left side close to security.

Originally Posted by intuition
I do wonder what the "important matters" are that concerns platinums and does not have anything to do with ticket or BPs. Seriously, what is the purpose of the desk?
Probably they just don't know how to use the systems and want to avoid actual work.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by cistavoda
I'm planning on trying to get the Service Desk to do everything from seat changes to award bookings from now on.
Very good idea! Those of us with easy access to HEL could try to actually force the agents manning service desk to actually provide service. A novel idea for some, I know.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:48 am

Programs: Spire, Hilton D, Accor P, SPG Plat, Radisson G, Shangri-La Diamond, Hertz PC, AY Lumo
AY Platinum line

I'm BA Emerald and used to call to Finnair Platinum line when I needed help with Finnair flights. Last time I called in end of July and the agent told me that they have gotten new instructions to only serve Finnair Platinum members and forwarded my phone call to 18 min queue on plebeiji line.

All in all I can see alliances crumble down. Less miles/points given from alliance flights, no more interlining for baggage and worsening the service for members of other alliance elites. Lose-lose situation in my eyes.

Last edited by finflyer; Aug 15, 2016 at 4:58 am
Old Aug 15, 2016, 5:38 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by finflyer

All in all I can see alliances crumble down. Less miles/points given from alliance flights, no more interlining for baggage and worsening the service for members of other alliance elites. Lose-lose situation in my eyes.
Yes, it seems to be the truth. oneWorld is less and less an alliance at all. Interesting since (IIRC) oneWorld is more of a centralized thing, there the alliance actually exists as a "independent" body. In contrast to star alliance where everything is bilateral agreements between each participating airline.
I wonder if this is due to BA not being interested in oneWorld anymore.

The 'no alliance wide check-in or interline' is the worst one, but it seems most of the alliance wide things are gone or going.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
I checked in a bag on my way to HAM a few days ago and was provided a great experience about Finnish customer service culture. A small thing but anyway made me feel puzzled.

As I arrived at the priority check-in at HEL there were no other customers and 4 open desks. However, the agents had a conversation ongoing (not related to work) so I decided to wait for someone to invite me forward. To my "amusement", no one of the agents did anything that could even slightly be identified as noticing me so there I was, standing on the "wait here" line with my bag and listening to the agents talking about restaurants. Finally, as after about 30 seconds that felt like forever the situation didn't seem to get any better, I finally found the courage to approach the Plat desk where I was indirectly made to feel that I was very much disturbing the agent by making her perform her job. I just couldn't escape the feeling that who do these agents think is the customer and who should be providing the service?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA G; AY Basic; HHonors G; Marriott S
Originally Posted by haapalainen
I checked in a bag on my way to HAM a few days ago and was provided a great experience about Finnish customer service culture. A small thing but anyway made me feel puzzled.

As I arrived at the priority check-in at HEL there were no other customers and 4 open desks. However, the agents had a conversation ongoing (not related to work) so I decided to wait for someone to invite me forward. To my "amusement", no one of the agents did anything that could even slightly be identified as noticing me so there I was, standing on the "wait here" line with my bag and listening to the agents talking about restaurants. Finally, as after about 30 seconds that felt like forever the situation didn't seem to get any better, I finally found the courage to approach the Plat desk where I was indirectly made to feel that I was very much disturbing the agent by making her perform her job. I just couldn't escape the feeling that who do these agents think is the customer and who should be providing the service?
Maybe they saw your all non-AY bag tags hanging from your LH Rimowa trolley :-:
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Maybe we should stop checking in online and always go to the counter. On the other hand, then the staff will go on strike as their workload becomes unbearable.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by niksal
On the other hand, then the staff will go on strike as their workload becomes unbearable.
Then we get extra compensation points! ^
Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:18 pm
np1

It feels like platinum desk is just one more desk on the line, but where you could put even less experienced persons as Platinum members can probably save the situation before it gets worse. (For example they checked in my bag and send it away before they noticed that my connecting flight was in "strange state" ie. cancelled)
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: BA G; AY Basic; HHonors G; Marriott S
Up; Congratulations on making this thread to Flyertalk TalkMail today
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Oh, how I missed that one!
I must try this next time, absolutely, just for kicks to change my seat or something. I am thinking of how to get started...
"Is this a service desk" (assuming answer yes)
"So here one can get service?" (now I don't assume anything anymore)
Next speech lines on the go...
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:49 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
An example of Finnish pride that leads to despise, of a customer, especially for Finns. This is one reason I do not book AY: the agent and FA are the stars, not a customer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.