Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Airbus A319

Designator: A319
Good seats/FT'ers pick: 1A, 10C
Legroom seats: 1ABC (bulkhead), 2DEF (bulkhead), Row 10 (exit, seats do recline)
Overhead stowage notes: 2DEF no overhead due to emergency equipment; closet available in front of 2DEF
General notes: Unknown if pitch varies

Airbus A320

Designator: A320
Good seats/FT'ers pick: 1A
Legroom seats: 1ABC (bulkhead), 2DEF (bulkhead), Row 11 (exit, seats do recline), Row 12 (exit, seats do recline). Row 11 has more legroom than row 12, but row 12 is still significantly better than regular rows.
Overhead stowage notes: 2DEF no overhead due to emergency equipment; closet available in front of 2DEF

Airbus A321
Two versions exist.

Designator: A321
Good seats/FT'ers pick: 9A, 9F (due to no seat in front of it. N.b. tray table is in the armrest, making width slightly tighter)
Legroom seats: 1ABCDEF (bulkhead), 8BCDE, 9AF, 22ABCDEF (all exit rows; 9AF enjoy the most legroom; all seats in rows 8 and 9 recline) While row 8 is exit row and has good pitch, bins and foot-traffic from 9AF might be an issue. Some pics are here.
Overhead stowage notes: Emergency equipment in bins above 1DEF, 8DE, 22DEF. Closet space available in front of 1DEF. No bins at all above 8BC. Bin above 7ABC divided into smaller compartments
General notes: Unknown if pitch varies.

Designator: A32B
Good seats/FT'ers pick: ?
Legroom seats: 1ABCDEF (bulkhead), 10ABCDEF, 24ABCDEF (exit rows; seats do recline; FA sits opposite 10F and 24F)
Overhead stowage notes: Emergency equipment in bins above 1DEF and halfway through 2DEF, 9-10ABC, 9-10DEF, 23ABCDEF. Narrow closet in front of 1DEF used for crew bags.
General notes: Slightly larger pitch on rows 2–8.

Embraer E190

Designator: E90
Legroom seats: 1ACDF (bulkhead), 11ACDF (exit, seats do recline), both rows enjoy a more or less equal amount of legroom
Overhead stowage notes:

Embraer E190-2
Operated by Wideroe for Finnair in a 114 seat config

Designator: 290
Legroom seats: 2AC 1DF (bulkhead, no 1AC in the config), 12ACDF (exit row)
Overhead stowage notes:
General notes:
Print Wikipost

Seating advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:50 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Seating advice needed

Well, we don't have a general seat advice thread. (And I don't even know if we need one either, but I guess we can always wiki and sticky this one if we need).

But I do need some specific advice regarding the exit seats on narrowbody. I've only done it once (exit row on A321) and I hated it. Smallest seat on the plane, all the really big travellers are seated here (meaning you cannot put your arms on the armrests) and absolutely no overhead stowage space (in the overhead there is a fire suppressant and other emergency equipment).

Yes, there is more leg space, but it is mostly used by the people in the row behind to run around (I was in 8C on A321, picture 1 below, and pax in 9A and 9B took the shortcut in front of me.)

But so many here have said they rather sit in exit row than in business, so let's for awhile assume y'all are not raving lunatics; Do tell how to make the best of exit row!
Do you chose the row labled as exit row in finnair seat maps (the red seats) or do you take another row in the proximity?
Which seats does not recline, where can you put your bag et.c.

Picture 2 is from A319 where row 10 is adjacent the exit, but they are not labled exit row but instead "Extra legroom seats". Which to choose and whY?

Picture 3 is from A320-200 where row 11 and 12 both seems to be exit rows, but only row 12 is marked as such. Row 11 is called "Extra legroom seats". Which one to choose?

And finally picture 1 is A321. From my memory 9A and F looked to be the place to be, is that so? Or maybe 7E is more spacious?
Attached Images    

Last edited by intuition; Aug 2, 2016 at 12:02 pm
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Is your picture #3 320 or 321?

My answer is:

32B: 10A
321: 9A
320: what ever
319: what ever

7E in 321 is not so good, Air Hostess sitting there face to face with You. Of course sometimes it is ok.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:05 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Sorry, no3 is 320. Fixed that now.

So generally, in A319/320 is better to take anything but the exit row (because then you won't get the problems with no stowage)?

And for the larger machines chose the "legroom" seats and never the exit row seats, right?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by intuition
Sorry, no3 is 320. Fixed that now.

So generally, in A319/320 is better to take anything but the exit row (because then you won't get the problems with no stowage)?

And for the larger machines chose the "legroom" seats and never the exit row seats, right?
I always choose the ones labeled legroom. This means a bit more legroom in A319/A320 plus a guaranteed overhead space for your roller bag or whatever.

As LGG said, on A321 it's 9A and A32B 10A.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
I've wondered about the exit row magic as well. I always avoid it because 1) it has no storage space under the seat; 2) it may lack a handrest on the window side or seat recline; and 3) it is usually the coldest seat in the whole airplane.

I would appreciate some insights on what I am missing out on...
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:03 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Well then we are two peas in a pie.

But on those days we get AY flights operated by 'Sauna Airlines' it is nice to get a cold seat though...
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:39 pm

Well then we are two peas in a pie.

But on those days we get AY flights operated by 'Sauna Airlines' it is nice to get a cold seat though...
Glad to know. I kid you not but I often have to resort to my yak wool blanket on a Finnair flight.
I'm a fan of the frequent SAS flights operated by Sauna Airlines.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
I'm so Hot Guy so I'dont mind some cooling on 10A or 09A.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:29 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

You can cool off on 58Ö!

Now, I don't like 'Sauna airlines' at all. When cabin temp is 28 and above, you need to drink to keep hydrated. Drinking for that kind of reason just seems wrong...
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:41 pm

Now, I don't like 'Sauna airlines' at all. When cabin temp is 28 and above, you need to drink to keep hydrated. Drinking for that kind of reason just seems wrong...
Really? I'd say it's the best reason for an in-flight GT or champagne. "I am steaming. Need a drink. Now. Presto." Definitely beats any excuses of a tough day at work.

Last edited by CeruleanBlue; Aug 2, 2016 at 2:46 pm
Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:03 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Hehe, I guess I rather drink for the buzz and not for the sweat
Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
If I can, I choose row 1. The legroom isn't huge, but it's far better than on an average row, and you get to be among the first pax to deplane.

However, I do like the exit rows because I'm relatively tall (184 cm) and the A320 family just feels really cramped. I haven't really noticed that the exit rows are cold, nor have I experienced problems with stowing my carry-on. Actually, the overhead bins above the exit rows tend to be closed during boarding and sort of reserved for the pax sitting there since you can't put anything under the seat in front of you. Usually, if I arrive early and there's space above the row just in front of mine, I simply put my bag up there, thus saving that closed bin for late boarding exit row pax.

The A320 family used to have a variable seat pitch, with the front rows having a bigger pitch (because they're J rows). Is this still the case? If so, which rows enjoy a little bit more legroom on A319/A320/A321/A32B?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 4:15 pm

Be aware of exit row seats with no windows like row 22 on 321 (at least some versions). Its terrible to sit there with no outside world.(Not even Wi-Fi of course).
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:53 pm

Programs: BA G; AY Basic; HHonors G; Marriott S
For sure row 1 - but corporate policy is Y so as OH-LGG but I do take the window exit always if possible. If two exit rows/legroom rows I do take the one behind since the "legroom" seat has no recline. As you all knew I presume.

(if you ever travel in Y)
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:40 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by ffay005
However, I do like the exit rows because I'm relatively tall (184 cm) and the A320 family just feels really cramped. I haven't really noticed that the exit rows are cold, nor have I experienced problems with stowing my carry-on. Actually, the overhead bins above the exit rows tend to be closed during boarding and sort of reserved for the pax sitting there since you can't put anything under the seat in front of you. Usually, if I arrive early and there's space above the row just in front of mine, I simply put my bag up there, thus saving that closed bin for late boarding exit row pax.
This is my strategy as well. I don't mind if it is cool (I actually prefer it), and I don't need to peer out of a window...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.