Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Possible new long-haul destinations excl. Far East

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible new long-haul destinations excl. Far East

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by remymartin
Let's not forget even some narrowbody aircraft have IFE - e.g. Ex-bmi BA midhaul a321, some Qr and some Aa.
I really liked seat 1A on the LHR-AMM route on BD's A321 and later the same aircraft in semi-BA colours (outside BA livery, inside all BD )
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: AY Gold
I don't need IFE for a 4-5h hour flight but TK style business seats on AY A321 would be great. Not happening, I know.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
If they could fill the plane, one of the old A34x's might get a new lease on life flying to IKA
I would be pretty shocked if AY elects to regularly operate (not just on some days) a widebody frame on a potential IKA route.

Let's not forget even some narrowbody aircraft have IFE - e.g. Ex-bmi BA midhaul a321, some Qr and some Aa.
And one operating them ex-HEL is TK!
As I understand it its more like playing lottery what kind of plane you with TK. It could be a narrowbody with real biz class or a narrowbody with an Eurostyle biz class.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by warakorn
I would be pretty shocked if AY elects to regularly operate (not just on some days) a widebody frame on a potential IKA route.
So would I - but we can dream ...

Originally Posted by warakorn
As I understand it its more like playing lottery what kind of plane you with TK. It could be a narrowbody with real biz class or a narrowbody with an Eurostyle biz class.
+1 I have an A33x slotted for the 80 minutes OTP-IST leg... seriously wonder if I should use TK points to upgrade.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
+1 I have an A33x slotted for the 80 minutes OTP-IST leg
Last minute downgauges are very common at TK for their Euro-flights.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Rethinking LAX and IKA mentioned here. Even if LAX isn't doable within the 24 hour frame, IKA requires a lot less than 24 hours. Perhaps it could be profitable to fly LAX-HEL-IKA and back, 4 segments within 48 hours.

The same would apply to many US destinations and India, creating pairs like ORD/BOS/DFW and DEL/BOM/etc. You would imagine there would be lots of demand between US and India.

Of course, such plane usage would be a bit problematic timewise. If you want somewhat desirable arrival and departure times at the outstations, then HEL arr/dep would be in the middle of the night at least in one direction. But is it really a problem if the clientele comes from the US and India?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by ffay005
Of course, such plane usage would be a bit problematic timewise. If you want somewhat desirable arrival and departure times at the outstations, then HEL arr/dep would be in the middle of the night at least in one direction. But is it really a problem if the clientele comes from the US and India?
Yes, it would be a problem - because or night time curfew at HEL.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:24 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Yes, it would be a problem - because or night time curfew at HEL.
What curfew is that? Tonight, there have been scheduled arrivals at 2:55, 3:35 and 4:00 am and a departure at 4:45 am. I did find a document written by Finavia in 2014, stating some restrictions from 0:30 to 5:30, but they concern only the noisiest aircraft. Flagship A350 can't surely be one of the noisiest?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:02 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by ffay005
Rethinking LAX and IKA mentioned here. Even if LAX isn't doable within the 24 hour frame, IKA requires a lot less than 24 hours. Perhaps it could be profitable to fly LAX-HEL-IKA and back, 4 segments within 48 hours.

The same would apply to many US destinations and India, creating pairs like ORD/BOS/DFW and DEL/BOM/etc. You would imagine there would be lots of demand between US and India.

Have you looked at the prices? I doubt there is money to be made. QR was selling HEL-IKA for less than 250 euros a couple of weeks ago.

IKA is close enough for A321.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:52 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
Originally Posted by miikkak
IKA is close enough for A321.
I would be truly surprised, if AY flew to IKA. There are enough airlines operating there and virtually no tourism at all. Hardly profitable.

Last edited by Justinus; Sep 25, 2016 at 10:23 pm
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:27 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by Andaman
I don't need IFE for a 4-5h hour flight but TK style business seats on AY A321 would be great. Not happening, I know.
Once you get used to having IFE on all flights (think CX/KA within Asia) it's hard to go back to just "Blue Wings"
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:30 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
As for the theme of this thread, how about Central Asia (the Stans) or Mongolia?

Would there be great circle routing advantages from, say, JFK (seat of the UN and of course the banking capital) to those destinations?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:29 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
The 'stans are not considered part of the competitive area, except perhaps the most northern ones. Kazakhstan and Mongolia seems part of what Finnair would consider, together with Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam. But if we are to believe what Finnair tells the investors there is little of interest outside China or Korea.

Dotted red line marks "end of competitive area". Red line marks "24h rotation estimated with maximum payload & WB average range; 8500 kilometres, use only for planning purposes". Green marks strategic focus markets where AY promises to beat average RASK.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:42 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by mosburger

Would there be great circle routing advantages from, say, JFK (seat of the UN and of course the banking capital) to those destinations?
Not for Ulanbator, but decently for Alamaty.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:44 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
There is some interest in Kazakhstan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.