Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Chicago flights [and Chicago lounges]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago flights [and Chicago lounges]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by remymartin
I really agree about the suggested terminal change. T5 priority security was a joke when I was there. Staff seemed embarrassed when the normal queue moved at a faster (yet slow) pace
The plane has to arrive at T5. To depart from T3 (like IB), it would have to be towed, which takes time. Does the plane stays long enough, and then some, to even perform that procedure? If not, then moving to T3 is simply not impossible.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
Originally Posted by aama
Did you try to access as OWE or AY J?
As both. I never fly long haul in Y, Y+ or whatever.

Outside the BA First lounge there was a sign welcoming Cathay Pacific F and OWE pax. Why cannot AY negociate with BA about this? Or even better... move its departure to T3.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Courmisch
The plane has to arrive at T5. To depart from T3 (like IB), it would have to be towed, which takes time. Does the plane stays long enough, and then some, to even perform that procedure? If not, then moving to T3 is simply not impossible.
The IB plane stays at ORD 2 h 20 min, AY 2 h 25 min. If IB manages to have the plane moved from T5 to T3, so should AY. In fact, also connecting from various US destinations (including some codeshares) would be much easier.

If AY cannot handle ORD, it could welcome AA back and codeshare with it the ORD-HEL leg.

Last edited by Justinus; Aug 31, 2018 at 12:12 pm
Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Justinus
Outside the BA First lounge there was a sign welcoming Cathay Pacific F and OWE pax. Why cannot AY negociate with BA about this?
1) CX offers F product from ORD so they actually might care what they offer to their most valued customers
2) CX flight leaves before BA flights so the lounges do not get that congested
3) Even if 1) and 2) would not apply and BA would be willing to offer their lounge for AY, AF/KL or whatever might be cheaper.

Last edited by esledo; Sep 2, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:18 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by florens

Different terminal though.
Last June I arrived to T3 on domestic flight and used the Flagship Lounge. There is airside bus to T5, which I later took.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (Lifetime Gold), HH Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Last June I arrived to T3 on domestic flight and used the Flagship Lounge. There is airside bus to T5, which I later took.
Just be careful if you leave T3 lounge late as the airside bus from gate K20 can be very full and you need to wait quite some time... Learned this hard way and I literally had to run to other end of T3 (gate L2x has also airside bus to T5) to catch AY to HEL...
SPBanker likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
Make sure to emphasize that you are indeed Oneworld Sapphires/Emeralds and don't just show them AY J boarding pass. Also refer to Oneworld.com which clearly states that the lounge should be accessible:

British Airways Club / First Lounge

Emerald and Sapphire

Access for eligible customers traveling on any oneworld member airline.
Access to First Lounge is restricted to Emerald members or those travelling in First Class
Access: Business Class / First Class / Sapphire Tier / Emerald Tier
Opening Hours: Daily: 24 Hours
Note: Open Daily: 14:00 - Last Depature
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by aama
Make sure to emphasize that you are indeed Oneworld Sapphires/Emeralds and don't just show them AY J boarding pass. Also refer to Oneworld.com which clearly states that the lounge should be accessible:
In my case none of this impressed the lounge dragon. In the end I decided the lounge was not worth the trouble.
esledo likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by SPBanker
In my case none of this impressed the lounge dragon. In the end I decided the lounge was not worth the trouble.
Same here. I wonder why AY seems to appreciate its top customers so little that it doesn't negociate with BA about this problem. It must be well known for the local station manager.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Justinus
Same here. I wonder why AY seems to appreciate its top customers so little that it doesn't negociate with BA about this problem. It must be well known for the local station manager.
Someone should complain to one world about BA lounges in the US, all of which are permanently "full" when non-BA passengers try to enter
chitink likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mpkz
Someone should complain to one world about BA lounges in the US, all of which are permanently "full" when non-BA passengers try to enter
Honestly T5 at ORD is extremely real estate constrained. BA probably won't negotiate because they don't have the capacity, especially given the Summer A380.
esledo likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I was refused entry to the BA lounge ORD T5 yesterday. OWE flying AY J to HEL. Aware it’s not the published AY lounge at ORD but under OW rules I should have been given access. Capacity was not the issue (BA was boarding), the lounge manager was summoned and said I should talk to AY as it was their decision that their passengers didn’t get access. I don’t think that’s true somehow.....
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Princess fiona
I was refused entry to the BA lounge ORD T5 yesterday. OWE flying AY J to HEL. Aware it’s not the published AY lounge at ORD but under OW rules I should have been given access. Capacity was not the issue (BA was boarding), the lounge manager was summoned and said I should talk to AY as it was their decision that their passengers didn’t get access. I don’t think that’s true somehow.....

This issue with the BA lounge at ORD pops up from time to time. And no, from what I remember the reason is not valid, but it is an easy way to get rid of people.

A quick search gave me the following thread: BA do not honor AY status

EDIT: And there is also from the ORD flights thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26693255-post10.html
Princess fiona likes this.

Last edited by Jainzar; Aug 31, 2019 at 12:27 pm
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:32 pm

Has happened to me as well. There were literally no other customers, but "380 will be flying soon".
Princess fiona and esledo like this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Same story at SFO the other day. I wanted to check out the new lounge since they refreshed it. But told no access for AY since lounge was full (couldn't tell from the entrance, but there was a A380 leaving in the next 1-2 hours). Went back over to the CX lounge and got in there no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.