Search

Bag check-in in HKG?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Bag check-in in HKG?

How early can pax check in their bags at HKG?
As the flight leaves very late (schedule-wise and delay-wise), they may be many pax who arrive early at HKG.
Would CX contract staff man the desks?

Is there a workaround to check in the bags at Hong Kong station (on HK Island)? Can this be done like 10 hours before the flight?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:29 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by warakorn
As the flight leaves very late (schedule-wise and delay-wise), they may be many pax who arrive early at HKG.

Is there a workaround to check in the bags at Hong Kong station (on HK Island)? Can this be done like 10 hours before the flight?
Yes, do it at the Hong Kong Station. I often check in my baggage before noon, go about my normal business during the day and take train to HKG later in the evening. At HKG you need to wait for the AY desks to open.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:42 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
As per above. When the in-town check-in is open you can check your bags for any same day departure on airlines that allow in-town check-in (which is most legacy carriers).
Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Big thank you for the quick answers!

When the in-town check-in is open you can check your bags for any same day departure on airlines that allow in-town check-in (which is most legacy carriers).
AY departs at around 12.45am.
What do you mean with "same-day"?

I often check in my baggage before noon, go about my normal business during the day and take train to HKG later in the evening.
You need to swipe the Octopus card before being able to access the check in area there.
If you leave the check in area without travelling immediately with the HK express train, will MTR charge you anything?

Last edited by warakorn; Mar 30, 2016 at 4:01 am
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:05 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

You need to swipe the Octopus card before being able to access the check in area there.
If you leave the check in area without travelling immediately with the HK express train, will MTR charge you anything?

It is not CX staff, it is some third party staff. AY shares check-in desk with several other airlines. Just look for Finnair sign.

"Same day" means the day before in this case. If your AY flight leaves on tuesday 00:45 you can do in-town-checkin on the monday. All day. I've done it as early as 10am or similar.

MRT will charge the full airport express fare upon entering the check-in area, and will charge nothing when you enter the train. I assume the ticket is valid for something like 24 hours.

If you took MRT to get to the check-in area, this ammount will count towards the Airport fare, ie work as an discount.

You can also check in at Kowloon station. That saves you a few dollars if you are on a shoestring.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:16 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Big thank you for the quick answers!

That counts as same day even if it technically isn't. Not sure exactly where the cut-off point is but as far as I know the 'last' departure out of HKG is 02.45 to PUS, anything else (like 5.30am) must be considered an early morning flight.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

If you took MRT to get to the check-in area, this ammount will count towards the Airport fare, ie work as an discount.
But what happens if I leave the check-in area, stroll around HK Island (even taking the Island MRT line in the meantime) and take the HK Express later this evening?
Will the credit be transfered then?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:34 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I'm not really sure what happens if you take more MRT rides between check-in and going to airport, but I assume this:

1. Ride Mongkok-Kowloon: 4HKD
2. Check-in, Airport Express fare is deducted: 86HKD (90-4)
3. Take some other MRT rides: Normal fare deducted
4. Enter Airport express at kowloon station later the same day: 0HKD deducted.

Octopus is a pretty solid implementation, so that is why I assume this. But keep an eye on what is deducted and/or ask/complain at MRT service desk if something goes wrong.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:36 am
Moderator, Finnair

... and take the HK Express later this evening?
That would be UO and they don't accept octopus card, but I assume you mean Airport express
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I remember once even getting a refund (credit) when entering the Airport Express station at Tsing Yi.
In the morning I took the Express from the Airport to Hong Kong. Later in the afternoon I accessed the Airport Express back to the airport at Tsing Yi.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: Eurobonus gold
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Yes, do it at the Hong Kong Station. I often check in my baggage before noon, go about my normal business during the day and take train to HKG later in the evening. At HKG you need to wait for the AY desks to open.
Just want to make sure I understood correctly, even if I check in online and deliver my baggage at the train station I won’t be able to pass through security before the AY desks open at HKG?

Would like to go to the lounge as early as possible, any idea how early they open?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Trent600

Just want to make sure I understood correctly, even if I check in online and deliver my baggage at the train station I won’t be able to pass through security before the AY desks open at HKG?

Would like to go to the lounge as early as possible, any idea how early they open?
I think this means that if you wait until the airport to check in, you need to wait until the desks open. You can go through security check if you have checked in in-town.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: Eurobonus gold
Originally Posted by lkrt
I think this means that if you wait until the airport to check in, you need to wait until the desks open. You can go through security check if you have checked in in-town.
Ah, of course :-)

I'm feeling a bit under the weather so just want to check out ay noon and go to the airport and sounds like that is then possible when flying AY.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:22 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by lkrt
Yes, exactly.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 10:38 am

Programs: BA GGL IHG PlatAMB HH Dia
The InTown Checkin is still suspended. Has someone heard when they will start this service again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.