Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Missed check in cutoff and whole ticket cancelled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

This was my first time missing a flight so I post it here to see people's opinions and how to proceed next.

I booked a roundtrip ticket for two to Europe via Vayama, an online agency. The ticket is issued by AY, and the first segment JFK-CDG is an AA operated, AY marketed flight.
Last week we missed check in cut off time by 10 minutes. AA agent told us to reach AY desk to change my ticket. I arrived at AY desk. The agent said the ticket was booked through 3rd party so I had to contact the agency. I did. After 20 minutes hold (as the agent at Vayama was contacting AY regarding the issue), I was told the ticket would be auto-cancelled by AY due to no show, so the subsequent segments were all voided. He couldn't do anything with the ticket at that time. This was the first time I miss a flight and I knew no showing any segment means voiding the rest, so I didn't push more.
As we were eager to get to Paris, we'd rather buying a new ticket than wasting time at the airport dealing with calls. I asked the same AAngel before for assistance for buying a new ticket. She asked me how things went, and I told her the story. She seemed puzzled and asked for my ticket number. She said this shouldn't be the case since I arrived at the airport. The AY agent should note the reservation that I did present myself at the airport, and that I missed the checkin cutoff. This was not a no show.
Then the extremely helpful AAngel tried to reinstate my ticket and contacted AY reservation as well.
After all even if she did reinstate the ticket, the fare difference was outrageous so we ended up booking a new reservation.

Tl;dr:
So my question is: Is there a difference between missing check-in time and no show? If so, although it was my fault missing the cutoff time, was AY also at fault since the agent failed to put a note that I arrived at the airport? Should I write the experience to AY/Vayama for some good will offer?

Thanks for reading.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
This is just my opinion:

The ticket shouldn't have been cancelled, you should have given the option to rebook. At the same time the fare difference was probably correct (a supposedly good price vs a walk up price)

As this all happened at the airport on the day of departure, AY already took contorl of the ticket.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 2:53 am

Hi All,

Whether you are present at the airport or not, wouldn't bother the airline too much. No show is a term that refers to the situation where the segments were not cancelled or re booked prior to the departure of the flights.

Each airline have it's own way of defining no show. Qatar refers a customer as a no show if the passenger was unable to cancel or re book 3 hours prior to departure, while this rule changed to 2 hrs prior to departure for West Jet. Most of the US and European airlines have no time constraint, however it has to be done prior to the departure of the flights.

In this situation, as you missed your flight, and old itinerary is still active, you were marked as no show by AY. If the fare rules states no changes after no show, travel agent cannot do anything. You are on mercy of AY as they issued the e tickets. European airlines hardly make any exceptions, however most of the US based airlines are not strict in these situations.

Most of the US based airlines have similar polices, except in domestic travel few of them follow flat tire rule where if you turned up to the airport within few hours of your flight, they would put you on next available price viz stand by or charging same day fee or billing you for change fee and difference in the price.

Hope that clarifies the situation.

Regards,
taran_2005

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.