Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy out, Business on the return

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Economy out, Business on the return

Does anyone know if AY can offer decent price for such solution for BKK?
Manual booking needed, I guess.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
The catch is the "decent price"bit...

There is of course the option of buying an Y ticket and upgrade the inbound leg for points/vouchers/money
Old Sep 4, 2015, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

The plan is to upgrade the Y leg for points or voucher.
With "decent" means if it´s somewhere in the middle of a Y return fare and a C return fare of course.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 pm

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
Originally Posted by JoWa
Does anyone know if AY can offer decent price for such solution for BKK?
Once again I don't understand the AY ticket policy: they could easily sell one way J and return Y tickets also on their website. Currently they might be available through the customer service, but I have no ideas whether in this case Y leg must be in booking class Y only...
Old Sep 5, 2015, 5:42 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Does anyone ever had such a AY ticket ticketed?

The general fare rules seems to allow combining with any published AY fare, so it seems at least possible to ticket.

However, they also have a general "THE MOST RESTRICTIVE CONDITIONS APPLY WHEN COMBINING FARES ...", ie any combination of a flex fare with a non-flex Y fare would result in complete ticket being non-flex. Or in other words, you would pay for the flexibility of a business ticket on the one leg, but fly under all the restrictions of your Y fare.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 5:45 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Well, just did a sample fare search on a random Y fare, and it seems at least in this case they explicitly forbid combinations of Y and J:
COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY -SA/-BA/-BU/-VA/-PR TYPE
FARES FOR CARRIER AY IN ANY RULE IN THIS TARIFF.
COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE OF THE SAME FARE CLASS
FOR CARRIER AY IN THIS RULE AND TARIFF.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by intuition
Does anyone ever had such a AY ticket ticketed?
I've had a couple of times, but it had to be done through travel agent, I think the fare classes were I on outbound and T on inbound leg. Unless they have changed their policy it should be possible, but I don't understand, either, why it is not possible to book such a combination directly on AY web pages.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by JoWa
The plan is to upgrade the Y leg for points or voucher.
With "decent" means if it´s somewhere in the middle of a Y return fare and a C return fare of course.
Sorry, I don't get it. Just buying a return Y fare and upgrading one leg with points/voucher will cost you exactly one Y return fare.

Do I miss something here?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 1:27 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Do I miss something here?
Yes, I believe OP wants to fly business on both segments, but only has points/vouchers enough to upgrade oneway.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Wait until AY puts BKK J on sale? It seems the one and only destination with half-way reasonable J prices from HEL.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 2:16 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by Courmisch
Wait until AY puts BKK J on sale? It seems the one and only destination with half-way reasonable J prices from HEL.
Sadly, this may very well be the solution.

I have found myself in the same situation many times. For instance, there may be upgrade space on the outbound but not on the inbound. I would be more than willing to buy a combined J/Y ticket and only upgrade the outbound. That would mean more revenue for AY but they won't let me do that. So I usullay end up either paying a J ticket with another carrier or put a lot of energy into finding the cheapest J routing on AY. AY loses out in any case.

It is even worse when that non-existent upgrade space suddenly appears in the 'paid upgrade' space, a system where the seats usually don't gets sold and ends up being used for op-ups of non-frequent flyers.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 4:47 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Years ago (when it was still allowed to fly J in company policy), my travel agent booked me J where return was fully booked in J and only Y available. Yes it was ticketed as J+Y on return, but price was full-J price for the Y-leg as well as the Y-points
I don't know if that is possible still today, but something that happened in the past at least.
I think it was HEL-PEK I flew
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: AY+ Platsku, IC Plat. Amb., HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, etc.
You can easily price these tickets on ITA Matrix: put something like /f bc=i in the advanced routing codes of the leg you want to be in business. I've succesflly booked such a ticket on Priceline using the ITA Matrix Powertools, although that was in shorthaul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.