Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SK opening ARN-HKG?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I wonder how much this route will drive down AY ex-HEL prices, so this is basically good news for us?

ex-ARN AY prices being so low, I wonder where SK pricing will end given the fact that they might be tempted not to go bargaining with their new LH fleet? Just an assumption which I usually find myself very wrong in the face of airline pricing
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:10 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
This is what I also was thinking about. As ARN isn't (much of) a hub, SK won't attract europeean flyers with this. But this flight will be in direct competition for the scandinavians and AY is probably the number one in this market today. So something will happen to prices I guess.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by intuition
This is what I also was thinking about. As ARN isn't (much of) a hub, SK won't attract europeean flyers with this. But this flight will be in direct competition for the scandinavians and AY is probably the number one in this market today. So something will happen to prices I guess.
I would guess quite a few LH Miles & More members from ports like DUS, TXL and VIE might be tempted if prices are competitive. They can still earn towards LH status and ARN isn't much of a detour at all.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by mosburger
You should be able to use the landside AA Arrivals lounge at T3 with a J ticket even when connecting.
There was an issue with (lack) of UK visa for some in the party, so this isn't an option, I think.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by FFlash
I wonder how much this route will drive down AY ex-HEL prices, so this is basically good news for us?

ex-ARN AY prices being so low*, I wonder where SK pricing will end given the fact that they might be tempted not to go bargaining with their new LH fleet? Just an assumption which I usually find myself very wrong in the face of airline pricing
Basically yes, with AY's ex-HEL prices being what they are, SK would need to sacrifice only a small slice of their margin to make dents on AY's traffic.

* BKK in C ex-ARN sells for 1,6k these days, beats even BUD origin with much better positioning options.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Am I the only sceptic here regarding this piece of news? Considering SK's success on their previous ARN-Asia routes, I wouldn't hold my breath quite yet...
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:15 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
You're definitely not the only one. SK has a history of announcing new intercontinental routes that never actually start. I would never book these flights now only after they've been flying the route for a couple of months.

AY never started their Lyon flights and I think KUL was more or less the same did they fly there for a short while, though? But overall, AY's route announcements are far more reliable than SK's.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:25 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Perhaps also the financial situation for SK is a good reason to be sceptic. They announced a new 222 MEUR savings target. And just to get the previous savings program going, they had to threaten with bankruptcy.

Now, there actually is a public announcement *), saying flights (5 weekly) will commence in september and ticket will be available after new year. So I guess we will soon see the result, both their pricing strategy and if they will sell enough tickets to launch.

*) AFAIK, the only public announcement has been made on instagram...
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:55 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
While we are deeply off-topic (all things dark alliance ...):
- who knows if SK will even be up&running by September, avoid
- LHR T5C (and 5B) is only for longhaul - intuition's flight to CPH was from T5(A)
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:13 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remymartin
- who knows if SK will even be up&running by September, avoid
- LHR T5C (and 5B) is only for longhaul - intuition's flight to CPH was from T5(A)
a) True
b) Aha, maybe I arrived a T5C and departed T5A. But I guess it doesn't change much? Still no lounge available for this transfer.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *G, EY Gold, AZ CFP (ST E+). Hilton Gold
Drifting OT ... But I found the ticket, it was in february 2012.
The HKG flight was scheduled to arrive 0450, and was approx 45min early. The CPH flight left at 0655 and I only had a few minutes in this lounge. Perhaps it opened 0600.
Cannot see the exact terminal from the ticket, but the LHR-CPH might have departed from 5C (?) - there was a small BA lounge though.

There were only 2 choices : Either exit to landside or wait in a hallway for transfer security to open. All transit pax were trapped here, and no path to any lounge existed.
There is no lounge in T5C (but a Starbucks where you get 15 voucher if you are eligible for lounge), so I guess you were in T5B where there is a small Galleries Club. Also I think it opens at 5.30, while the lounges in T5A opens at 5.00. The hours might have been different when you were there.
The narrow bodies can departed from any terminals.

Originally Posted by remymartin
Not necessarily. Though they are mainly used for longhaul, T5B&C have shorthaul as well. My LHR-MAD flight departed from T5B for example.
Conversely some longhaul 777 flights can depart from T5A.
But in general you are right, A for shorthaul and B&C for long haul.

BTW almost all A380 are from C.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:18 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Getting back on topic, CEO Rickard Gustafson confirmed in swedish radio today that ARN-HKG will open in september and that it will be SK-operated (not leased and not outsourced staff)

He said the drive behind the decision was demand from businesses in Sweden, Denmark and Norway for "direct" capacity to HKG. Obviously only ex-ARN is truly direct, but building on the very good connection capacity from OSL and CPH I guess ARN is the better choice (no passengers need to backtrack). He didn't mention Finland at all.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Getting back on topic, CEO Rickard Gustafson confirmed in swedish radio today that ARN-HKG will open in september and that it will be SK-operated (not leased and not outsourced staff)

He said the drive behind the decision was demand from businesses in Sweden, Denmark and Norway for "direct" capacity to HKG. Obviously only ex-ARN is truly direct, but building on the very good connection capacity from OSL and CPH I guess ARN is the better choice (no passengers need to backtrack). He didn't mention Finland at all.
Hope they will also for example codeshare with Asiana to ICN. Would make for a nice additional option if prices in the premium classes are competitive.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 1:15 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat

SK gave up on Finland ages ago
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by kauppias
SK gave up on Finland ages ago
Yes, sure, but the only attractive pricing they have left is between HEL-ARN all the time. I actually wonder if they try to come back at least offering decent offers HEL-ARN-HKG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.