Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Just got email for a 10 minute change on a flight - What can I do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

I know this may be silly for a lot of people but I booked a flight 3 months ago for a Singapore - Tromso flight via AY.

Original flight leaves at 18:25. I booked this because I calculated I can leave work at exactly 17:00 and get to the airport at 17:30 and I should have enough time before gates close at 17:40.

They now changed it to 18:15.

I called the travel agent and they said they won't call AY because it's only 10 mins difference. If I want I can call AY and arrange it with them.

I know that 10 minute may not mean anything to a lot of people, but certainly does to me, as I book my flights very exact because I do not want to take leaves, or do not want the hassle of talking to my boss bout leaving earlier.

Does anyone here know of what my recourses are?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
You can cancel the flight - with no cost, or simply leave 10 minutes earlier.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:22 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Welcome to FT, Vodkacran.

They will not close the gate 45 minutes before departure. Don't worry. Check in online and travel with hand luggage only. SIN is good in that security is at the gate. If you are at the gate 30 minutes before the departure time, there's no reason to worry.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: AY LUMO
What is this orginal AY flight departing SIN 18:25 and moved to 18:15? Operated by ... ?

Only AY operated flight to HEL departs 23:55.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 8:12 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
AY5856 op by CX
Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:11 am
Original Poster

1. I can not travel with hand luggage only, so that 10 minutes does matter to me. I would have expected everyone to say then just travel 10 minutes earlier, but it's not easy at work.

2. Is it within my right to cancel against any change by the airline? as what Ed Cost has mentioned?

3. It is operated by CX to HKG.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
What is this orginal AY flight departing SIN 18:25 and moved to 18:15? Operated by ... ?

Only AY operated flight to HEL departs 23:55.
Why not ask AY to change to the direct 23:55 SIN-HEL? Arrival in HEL about 30min later than SIN-HKG-HEL, easily making the connnections to Norway.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:21 am
vpk

Programs: AYS, EBG, AAP, FB, CZ, AK
Originally Posted by timol
Why not ask AY to change to the direct 23:55 SIN-HEL? Arrival in HEL about 30min later than SIN-HKG-HEL, easily making the connnections to Norway.
Exactly. Lot less travel time unless you want to hang around at HKG. The flight from HKG to HEL will leave after midnight. So will arrive in HEL almost same time.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
So it's easier to go through all this hassle and worry rather than talking to your boss?

Your boss obviously knows you are going on leave/taking vacation. Why not ask her/him if you can come in 10 minutes early that day, and leave 10 minutes early? Why not ask if you can work through your lunch break? Why not ask if one of your colleagues can cover those crucial 10 minutes before you leave?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:22 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Your boss obviously knows you are going on leave/taking vacation. Why not ask her/him if you can come in 10 minutes early that day, and leave 10 minutes early? Why not ask if you can work through your lunch break? Why not ask if one of your colleagues can cover those crucial 10 minutes before you leave?
Asian culture?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:12 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I can totally sympathize and identify with OP's wish of not wanting to ask for more time off, so let's focus on other solutions.

As for cancellations, I think you should call AY directly and ask. It is not certain advise given here will work in your jurisdiction - ticket rules depend on point of sales.
At the point of sales where I usually buy tickets it is said that a "significant change" in ticket details, like time of departure, is enough to allow for free cancellation. What a significant change is, is not defined by law. So if you want to cancel, you could call AY and argue that 10 minutes change is significant in your schedule.

The other suggestion given above is also worth trying - going directly instead of via HKG. The trouble here is that it can be very different tickets for the two routes, ie is in not just a matter of rerouting, it might be a matter of getting you a completely new ticket. That can lead to a hefty change fee. Again, AY will be able to tell you.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:14 am
Moderator, Finnair

And BTW, I just got message from AY about a 5 minute change. Along with the message was this:
In case you have connecting flight(s), this change might have an impact. Please contact Finnair for re arrangements.
So even for a 5 minute change, they are prepared to handle questions and re-arrangements of flights.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AY Silver
Originally Posted by vodkacran
1. I can not travel with hand luggage only, so that 10 minutes does matter to me. I would have expected everyone to say then just travel 10 minutes earlier, but it's not easy at work.
Would it be possible for you to check in your luggage at the Hong Kong downtown location before going to work? It seems CX check in opens at 05:30.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:58 am

SIN Gates close exactly 10min before departure.

If the flight is 6.15pm, for example, you can plan to have absolutely no problems of catching it when you reach the gate at 6pm.

That's imho the best thing about SIN, guaranteed gate closure times.

No "game" like in most other airports world wide.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AY Silver
Originally Posted by clifford79
Would it be possible for you to check in your luggage at the Hong Kong downtown location before going to work? It seems CX check in opens at 05:30.
Sorry, I got confused and thought you were starting in HKG. But maybe you could do early check in before work at SIN also?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.