Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-HEL...why so expensive in J?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
LHR-HEL...why so expensive in J?

Hi all.

Having visited Finland for the first time a couple of months ago, I'm planning to make repeat trips to explore more of the country.

I'm a British Airways Silver and always fly with them. Boredom with BA and curiosity is getting the better of me however, and I would love to fly Finnair instead for a change...

However, when I look at BA fares, I can usually book a return for about €430. On the same page I can see Finnair fares, yet they're €800-900...why is this?

Is there a minimum stay requirement? Do they not like point to point LHR-HEL pax as they'd rather have the space in J for the numerous Far East connecting pax?

I usually fly Friday to Monday on most of my trips if that helps.

Apologies if this is a really dumb question. I feel pretty comfortable with BA but don't have any experience with Finnair!

Thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:53 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by paul4040
Hi all.

Having visited Finland for the first time a couple of months ago, I'm planning to make repeat trips to explore more of the country.

I'm a British Airways Silver and always fly with them. Boredom with BA and curiosity is getting the better of me however, and I would love to fly Finnair instead for a change...

However, when I look at BA fares, I can usually book a return for about €430. On the same page I can see Finnair fares, yet they're €800-900...why is this?

Is there a minimum stay requirement? Do they not like point to point LHR-HEL pax as they'd rather have the space in J for the numerous Far East connecting pax?

I usually fly Friday to Monday on most of my trips if that helps.

Apologies if this is a really dumb question. I feel pretty comfortable with BA but don't have any experience with Finnair!

Thanks.

Finnair is expensive

The same goes on a day trip HEL-LHR 110€ on BA and 391€ on AY Y of course

AY do not compete on price only with ummmmm actually I dont know what they compete with these days...

AY J fares in europe are horrendeous considering the "service" they provide...
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Finnair intra-european business class fares have always been ridiculously expensive. HEL-LHR return is usually 1700 euros and I have never seen any sales or low fare campaigns. With BA, if you book early, the fare is around 400-500 e!
On the other hand, availability for upgrade with points is often good, but for that you would need Finnair Plus points.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:06 am

Programs: LH SEN
I believe BA-marketed, AY-operated and J-ticketed codeshares are changeable and refundable as are AYs own intra-Europe J tickets. That is probably one reason for higher price, while BAs own "campaign" I fares are non-changeable/non-refundable.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by esledo
I believe BA-marketed, AY-operated and J-ticketed codeshares are changeable and refundable as are AYs own intra-Europe J tickets. That is probably one reason for higher price, while BAs own "campaign" I fares are non-changeable/non-refundable.
This sounds like it might be the right answer.

BA's cheap business fares (which is what I always buy), are completely inflexible and non refundable.

Thanks for the feedback...looks like I'll be staying with BA!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Funny thing - HEL-LHR-HEL for a long October weekend in London with BA in C was half the price of Y, also with BA (400€ in C)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.