Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair reveals cabin design for next-generation Airbus A350 XWB aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:58 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

As the European launch customer of the next-generation Airbus A350 XWB (extra wide body) aircraft, Finnair has completed the cabin design of its new flagship longhaul product due to enter service next year. Created by top Helsinki firm dSign Vertti Kivi & Co, also the designer of Finnair’s new Premium Lounge at Helsinki Airport, the A350’s bright and spacious cabin features large panoramic view windows and comfortable seating arrangements in both classes. Gradual changes in dynamic ambient LED lighting ease customers into a relaxing flight experience and help create a calming and fresh atmosphere. All Finnair A350s will also be equipped with Wi-Fi for greater passenger enjoyment and connectivity.

“We have worked hard to create a special customer experience onboard the new A350XWB aircraft and are proud to bring Finnish design to Finnair’s passengers,” says designer Vertti Kivi. “Our Space Alive concept means dynamic lighting, colours and moods to suit the time of day, destination or season. For example, when descending in the East the aircraft can be awash in warm orange tones, or surface interiors may glow in fresh blue hues when arriving in Helsinki.”

The Airbus A350 also features an advanced pure air filtration system that changes the air in the cabin every two to three minutes. Draft-free air management, adjustable multiple temperature zones and a lower cabin pressure also enhance the well-being of passengers and crew.

The 297-seat configuration includes 46 seats in Business Class in a 1+2+1 layout, ensuring direct aisle access to all Business Class passengers. The Zodiac Cirrus III seats convert to fully flat beds, while a 16-inch touch-screen inflight entertainment system comes programmed with films, TV shows, music and other digital content on demand in numerous languages. Seats in Business Class also come equipped with AC and USB power outlets.

The Economy Class cabin features comfortable Zodiac Z300 slim-line seats with a 31-inch seat pitch in a 3+3+3 layout. At the front of the Economy Class cabin are 43 Economy Comfort seats, with comfier headrests, high-quality headphones and four extra inches of leg room. All seats in Economy include an 11-inch touch screen inflight entertainment system and USB power outlets.

“Since Finnair’s founding in 1923, we have had a long history of operations using the most advanced aircraft available,” says Finnair CEO Pekka Vauramo. “As the first European operator of the A350 we are proud to carry forward this tradition on behalf of our passengers, whose safety and comfort remain our first priority.”

Finnair plans to begin operating its first A350s in the second half of next year, initially serving Shanghai, Bangkok and Beijing, with Hong Kong and Singapore A350 service to be added in 2016. Finnair has 11 firm orders and 8 options for A350 aircraft, which will form the backbone of the company’s long-haul fleet and drive expansion plans.

The eco-smart design of the A350 also brings more than 25 per cent improvement in fuel efficiency and operating cost over the previous generation of aircraft in its class, significantly reducing the carbon footprint of Finnair and its passengers.

Cabin design images available: https://gallery.finnair.com/section/...irbus_a350xwb/
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:32 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Thanks!

A few random notes:
- BA F blue led lighting?
- NB the filled cognac glass by the empty seat in J
- 3+3+3 in Y = no reason to choose AY over other carriers in Y as 2+4+2 was so much nicer
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:36 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Looks good, I hope they really serve BKK from the start. Is this a 1-2-1 configuration?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:39 am

Programs: CX Green, AY White, A3 Blue
Originally Posted by remymartin
Thanks!

A few random notes:
- BA F blue led lighting?
- NB the filled cognac glass by the empty seat in J
- 3+3+3 in Y = no reason to choose AY over other carriers in Y as 2+4+2 was so much nicer
I think 3-3-3 in Y is a standard for 350s.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by calvinshuhfc
I think 3-3-3 in Y is a standard for 350s.
I see you're right, however standard J seems to be 2+2+2 so I don't see why AY couldn't differ in Y too.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:18 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Ed Size
Looks good, I hope they really serve BKK from the start. Is this a 1-2-1 configuration?
Yes, J is 1-2-1. 12 rows of business.

Interesting AY will now provide 4 class service. J, Y, Y+ (Economy comfort, 4" better pitch) and Y++ (J cabin with Y service)
Quite surprised by this move.

Well, 3-3-3 on XWB might be better than 3-3-3 on other aircrafts, so still some incentive.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:30 am

Aha, I missed the part of Economy Comfort. Great news!

I still much prefer sitting next to one person than two.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:31 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

I see you're right, however standard J seems to be 2+2+2 so I don't see why AY couldn't differ in Y too.
Agree, but frankly 99,99% of AY flyers are not aware about any such thing. They book on price, convenience of home carrier etc.

And here it is pure economics. As they went with extended J cabin (46 seats!) this config will actually hold less Y pax than some of the existing birds. You need to cram those Y:ers in to get it to 297 pax total!
And there is always the upsell to comfort for those who disapprove.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:03 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Is the J seat the same as the new AA J seat on 777-300? If so, then it's really an upgrade from what AY J offers today.

The word "slim" sounds frightening – will the Y seats resemble those used in the A320-family? A 31" seat pitch on long haul doesn't exactly sound like an improvement – although for most AY passengers it probably doesn't matter, their average height being around 5'

Does anyone know anything about the Y+ product? Separate cabin? Separate meal service? Free for elites? My guess is it's a mix of BA and AA – with the cabin and service concept borrowed from AA and the pricing borrowed from BA.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:32 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffay005
Does anyone know anything about the Y+ product? Separate cabin? Separate meal service? Free for elites? My guess is it's a mix of BA and AA – with the cabin and service concept borrowed from AA and the pricing borrowed from BA.
Interesting questions. I don't know, but guessing that only difference will be pitch. Same service, same recline, same cabin. The first few rows will just be spaced a bit better. I also guess it will be priced and sold like the "comfort" they had on certain leisure flights, ie pitched as an upgrade and sold at a fixed premium from Y. But just guessing.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:35 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Finnair to offer Economy Comfort and develop mobile app in product upgrade drive

OK, yet another press release just now:

Finnair is launching a suite of product upgrades and developing a mobile application as part of a larger drive to comprehensively renew the customer experience both on the ground and in the air.

On long-haul flights, product upgrades coming in the fall include the Economy Comfort package, a new offering in the front of the Economy Class cabin featuring at least four inches of extra legroom, comfy headrests, high-quality headphones and personal amenity kits. The meal service in all of Economy Class is also being updated with an additional complimentary mid-flight snack on day-time flights, a new wine selection and complimentary sparkling wine.

Last edited by intuition; Aug 13, 2014 at 3:39 am Reason: Comfort will be available soon on all flights, so better move that news to a separate thread
Old Aug 13, 2014, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by intuition
Interesting questions. I don't know, but guessing that only difference will be pitch. Same service, same recline, same cabin. The first few rows will just be spaced a bit better. I also guess it will be priced and sold like the "comfort" they had on certain leisure flights, ie pitched as an upgrade and sold at a fixed premium from Y. But just guessing.
From my read it is more akin to the US version than the BA/SK/AF etc... version. More leg-space and not much else (despite head rest etc...).

On Airlines.net, some are speculating that the mini-C cabin could potentially be ripped out overnight (like LH used to be able to do with their 747 C class) - but that there currently isn't any slack in the schedule for this. My guess is it will remain the same as today. Surely this must have a long-term detrimental effect on C yields in that some passengers may speculate they can get this cabin (is there any proof this happened, I don't know?).

I think if they are going to invest in such a big C cabin (as evidenced by SK, the domestic demand simply isn't there for large C cabins), and HEL isn't actually that convenient for the far east, they should consider their short haul equipment soon as well, ie. invest in proper short-haul C seats. It would certainly make me more likely to use AY in the future, but as it stands a 3 hour connecting flight on the inbound isn't exactly a great selling point.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:24 am

Programs: most of them
If J is 1-2-1 I wonder why they chose images that show 2-2-2. I think that is sort of confusing.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:29 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glennaa11
If J is 1-2-1 I wonder why they chose images that show 2-2-2. I think that is sort of confusing.
?!?

That is 1-2-1.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:34 am

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by glennaa11
Where did you see 2-2-2? Zodiac Cirrus III is clearly 1-2-1.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/photos-finna...eats-interiors

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.