Wiki Posts
Search

AY+ elite (unofficial) "soft perks"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by cistavoda
None whatsoever.

I see you're a fellow Plat. Try status matching and you'll get *A lounge access.

Ps. I wouldn't consider TG a budget airline
This is the first time I ever hear about status matching. A lot to learn I see Many articles state Turkish Airlines as the best to match in *A. I'll take this to their forum and post a link here to avoid off-topic.

TG isn't, you are correct
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Unsub
I saw a mention here that AY+ Plat members can access Finnair lounges in HEL even without a OW flight. What about other airports and their OW lounges? Especially SIN, BKK and CGK as I travel through them a lot with local budget airlines. Any chance in getting in to Qantas lounge in SIN when flying Thai Airways this afternoon..?
Welcome to Flyertalk AY forum.
AY plat card works in HEL like that, but I doubt it works elsewhere
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:41 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
This is the first time I ever hear about status matching. A lot to learn I see Many articles state Turkish Airlines as the best to match in *A. I'll take this to their forum and post a link here to avoid off-topic.
Welcome to Flyertalk and AY+ Forum! From personal experience I can say that status match to TK is pretty quick and relatively painless.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Must thank AY again for processing my upgrade request, both PVG longhauls went through even if J cabin seems to be heavily revenue controlled. ^

I have pretty good success factor with upgrades even if availability shown nil. Don't know if Plat card helps in that respect compared to lower mortals.

At least it seems that even if upgrade space would be occupied at one stage, they seem to sweep daily all applicants and open more upgrade space according to their will. Not too bad IMO, as you can anyway waitlist and if it doesn't clear, you get points/voucher back (actually even in case your are already approved and want to cancel for any reason)
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:03 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Good for you!

AFAIK they don't scan for upgraders on waitlist but CS rep can send message requesting space. I've had conversations (where they say "I will send this to another department" and a few weeks later when upgrade still hasn't cleared "strange it hasn't cleared, I will resend message") indicating this manual method.

While nice getting upgrade when no space oficially is made available, I dislike this method. Because it is unreliable and undocumented. I want to be sure I can upgrade at time of booking. If AY can't tell me "yes or no" at that time, I will book with another airline.
Also, the use of unofficial perk system is usually because airline wants an easy way out - they can cancel this perk on a whim.

Other airlines have documented methods for releasing space exclusively to top tier members. Why can't AY?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FFlash
Must thank AY again for processing my upgrade request, both PVG longhauls went through even if J cabin seems to be heavily revenue controlled. ^

I have pretty good success factor with upgrades even if availability shown nil. Don't know if Plat card helps in that respect compared to lower mortals.

At least it seems that even if upgrade space would be occupied at one stage, they seem to sweep daily all applicants and open more upgrade space according to their will. Not too bad IMO, as you can anyway waitlist and if it doesn't clear, you get points/voucher back (actually even in case your are already approved and want to cancel for any reason)
I see I posted this in wrong thread. Should have been the "thank you AY" thread
Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
There is a valid argument for both published and unpublished perks. The published one (should) give certainity, otoh the unpublished ones can give more flexibility.

Say they'd go the BA way of releasing award seats in a certain revenue class for their top elites - that would mean certainity that as long as there is availability in that class you could snatch the seat. OTOH if that bucket is full, no luck. With an unpublihed perk, revenue management can have more room to play.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Beware what you wish for... or Finnair might "enhance" the upgrade eligibility rule while limitting upgrades it to certain fare buckets.

Now that would suck very very very very much. I think many people here use points almost exclusively for upgrades (myself included).
Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:12 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by log6just
^Nice approach and discussion with the purser this week...

The lady brought me the newspaper right after boarding and said:"Since you are a valued AY plat member, I am glad to present you this left over copy of HS from business class, I will come later and have a chat with you if you don't mind?". I was fine with that of course.

After takeoff she came back and told that they have been discussing in Finnair how to recognize better the AY Plats on board and asked my opinion whether I'd prefer a newspaper OR a free drink as a perk when traveling in Y. She explained that very often they are running out of newspapers already in J and that is the reason they don't offer them every time to AY+ elite members. Offering a free drink would be something they could cater most of the times, provided that Y class is not full with AY+ Plats, of course.

I appreciated the gesture and approach, replied I would actually enjoy a red wine more than a newspaper, mainly because I have the newspapers always on my iPad when I am traveling. She thanked for my "valuable opinion", asked my permission to report this with my name to the AY+, which I naturally granted. Then she served me my 8€ worth "value for money" Pinot Noir in Ultima Thule glass. She was also asking if I had booked AY359 flight already and actually she will be o/b as a purse on my maiden flight on the new bird on October 14th with AY703 to DUS (seat 1L), so I am sure our nice chit chat will continue.

IMHO Nice approach, very nice chat and made me feel a bit "special". There was another AY+ Plat onboard few rows behind me and based on what I saw, he received same treatment.

I'd actually appreciate a drink and/or sandwich as a soft perk much more than random newspaper. Hope this will change now.

BTW: Air Berlin is offering free drink(s) for OW Emeralds, I witnessed this few weeks back on HEL - TXL flight.
Coming back to this "pilot"-topic: I've had 6 flights in Y (GOT, FRA, DUS) this and last week. Neither newspaper nor drink was offered, or AY+ Plat status recognized anywhere. Only on DUS flights the middle seat was empty, even though the flights were far from being full. That much about this Finnair's "how to treat our valuable Plats better"-pilot.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today to and from DUS I had empty seat (LF was very high) on the way back in the exit seat. On the way back I was offered newspapers - all this while still AY Gold.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
I got to use a Business Class upgrade voucher between SIN-HEL by calling customer service, even when the availability showed "not available" on the web service. This was a flight that I already had upgraded, but which I had to reschedule.

Took some effort though - first they told me all they can do is put me on the waiting list, but after consulting with a different department (?), who apparently handle the upgrades, they promised to make it happen. Well done Finnair!
Old Sep 29, 2015, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Took some effort though - first they told me all they can do is put me on the waiting list, but after consulting with a different department (?), who apparently handle the upgrades
I guess that would be revenue management
Old Sep 29, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Last week was flying HEL-HAM-STR-HAM-HEL were the HEL-HAM & HAM-HEL segments were operated by AY. Got no "status recognition" on the plane whatsoever (special greeting, newspaper, etc.). And definitely saw the FA to go and talk to 2 separate ppl in Y and offering them newspaper. Was thinking if it had something to do with the fact that the ticket was marketed by AB. (who BTW, also did not offer priority boarding for my AY+ Gold, despite it being a OW benefit => though luckily survived )
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: LH SEN
Had a pleasant ending for our longish journey LGK-KUL-HKG-AMS-HEL, travelling with a friend of mine who is AY Silver. On AMS-HEL the FA who gave us the exit row briefing started with something like "Alright, so welcome again, I just need to mention that you are on the exit row...". That was probably the first time ever I was welcomed back on AY so finally someone paid attention to the FQTV status. ^

After take-off offered us a selection of newspapers so got both Iltis and Hesari. Also got a refill of NF on the house and the FA made sure that if we need anything else, just ask. The load factor was something around 90 % and we had a free middle seat. A very positive ending for an excellent trip.

Last edited by esledo; Sep 29, 2015 at 9:13 am
Old Oct 5, 2015, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for the nice seat-block AY! It is so nice to fly the best seat 9A on a A321 with 9B blocked for myself despite heavy load factor. Better than business, except no meal. I did enjoy again a smooth inbound flight.

However, I did pay attention that on my last outbound, I had prebooked the 9A seat, but when doing OLCI I saw it was taken and I was bumped. Luckily AY seems to block exit row seats until elites have taken them, so I could find 8B free which was good enough with legroom. The interesting part was that, during handing out the "emerald-papers", the 9A guy turned out to speak Spanish and was the only other like me who was offered newspapers. And the crew explicitely announced "you are emerald" as eligible. Do I assume from this that a IB Plat can override my AY Plat preassigned seat during OLCI, assuming that he had done the OLCI before me? (I did the OLCI pretty late, just hours before flight unlike normally 36hrs before)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.