Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Tier points mission (im)possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:25 am
Original Poster

I have been wondering how some can get 1 million lifetime tier points, it just seems to be really impossible. Like you should have a 1000 flights to get such lifetime points very difficult. I am still basic after almost three years of tracking periods, and I just don't seem to be able to get even silver... Though maybe you have to fly every day to get enough points, but hey I am no millionaire, I am happy to be able to fly once a month. So is this whole tierpoint and miles system just for business man, because for the normal people it seems impossible, or has someone maybe some way or cheats or any advice?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:41 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by TimotiusFinn
So is this whole tierpoint and miles system just for business man, because for the normal people it seems impossible, or has someone maybe some way or cheats or any advice?
The only realistic way of attaining lifetime status on AY is to fly several paid intercontinental C round-trips per year, for many years. I know some people would have money to do that, if they wanted. I don't have that kind of money. Will my business trips achieve this goal? Possible, not certain.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:54 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
What you need is a time machine... Because you needed to fly those intercont business in the 90's.... If you started 3 years ago, just forget about lifetime tier on AY.

However, to get to "just" 1 million is not at all impossible. I think I could reach that in 2015, after 5 years of flying AY. Will I keep on for another 10-12 years to become lifetime gold? No way.
Like SPBanker said, it is costly, as the only way is flying intercont business. Being plat helps a bit, as that gives 25% extra points.

Are there cheats? None that I know of. But some routes can earn more points for less money. We call them runs. Best run I know gives you approx 122000 points for 1 trip. Took 7 days to complete and costed approx 2700€. And you still need 25 of those fligts to become lifetime gold, so not viable if that is your goal.

Last edited by intuition; Feb 6, 2014 at 11:01 am
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: AY LUMO
I have over 1000000 AY -tier points and I fly with my own money, never for business.
And because I don't have any company paying my tickets so I fly mostly cheap Y.

And of course history is on my side, those golden and good days in early 2000's before 9/11, all cheap Y tickets were 100%. ^ Oh, I miss so those days...I paid 1700 Finnish Marks for HEL-BKK-HEL and it was 100% for AY Plus.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Why are we discussing 1M points here? Isn't lifetime gold = 3 000 000 points?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:05 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I took OPs post as: How can anyone even make 1 million.. True, 3 million is the only thing that counts. Or rather 5

OH-LGG: Wow 1700 FIM! Well you are ahead of me, but I will find a way
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Yes, its M:I as far as I'm concerned.

BAEC lifetime Gold (OWE) at 35k TP is also very tough - with my present 2-2,5k TP p.a it would take 17 years to get there.

For AY l/t levels - no way, even if I credited everything to AY+
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
I got close to 1 million in my first year with AY. But they gave me a lot of bonus points that year (I flew about 11 times to BKK in 2009 alone, paid J). But since I changed my travel pattern and start to use points and upgrades, I hardly make 150.000/pa.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by intuition
Are there cheats? None that I know of. But some routes can earn more points for less money. We call them runs. Best run I know gives you approx 122000 points for 1 trip. Took 7 days to complete and costed approx 2700€. And you still need 25 of those fligts to become lifetime gold, so not viable if that is your goal.
I'd like to know more about this run! I'm still 2200 points short of non-lifetime gold and platinum would be nice...
Old Feb 8, 2014, 1:39 am
Moderator, Finnair

It was based on a ex-AMS fare which is gone by now.
If you are 62000p short of plat, maybe just look for the cheapest C-fare from europe to asia and then exchange awardpoints for tierpoints to get the last ones?
If you take one quick run HEL-ARN in value you would be gold (1000+1000 + 10%), and then get 15% extra on the last trip.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: AY Emerald
My 8th year as AY Plat Member starts/continues this week.
"Only" 1.850.000 life time points means too long a way for the life time gold. Points mostly earned in Y or WT+ which means a lot of long haul flying...
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:33 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Roughly 2M for me but I still don't believe I can ever hit 3M...maybe if I put everything to AY but that just doesn't fit my current FF patterns.

I really enjoyed the good old days when all OW J gave 200% points to AY Plus...those points just kept coming!! But not only have AY earning tables changed, so has the travel policy in the company I work for and also my personal way of life..(something like from "2 week/16-20 flights DONE4 around the globe" to "3 weeks on a remote island in SE Asia with the family"..)

************************************************** ************************************************** ************
And before someone points out that xONEx is max. 16 flights....today yes but not the case when paper tickets were still in use ;P

Last edited by NoWindowSeat; Feb 26, 2014 at 3:23 am Reason: typos..
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:50 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Laajo
My 8th year as AY Plat Member starts/continues this week.
"Only" 1.850.000 life time points means too long a way for the life time gold. Points mostly earned in Y or WT+ which means a lot of long haul flying...
Congratulations! But that's a lot of long-haul flying in Y or WT+ ..
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Congratulations! But that's a lot of long-haul flying in Y or WT+ ..
So maybe it's not congratulations but our condolences!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:50 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
And before someone points out that xONEx is max. 16 flights....today yes but not the case when paper tickets were still in use ;P
^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.