OT: Travel hacking on Yle TV1

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
OT: Travel hacking on Yle TV1

Tonight on Yle TV1 at 21.30:

Vapaamatkustajat
Luksuselämää lähes ilmaiseksi? Dokumentti sukeltaa alakulttuuriin, jossa lento- ja hotellibonuksilla rahoitetaan yläluokkaista irtolaiselämää. Mutta onko loputon matkustaminen myös pakoa omasta itsestään? O: Ken Saan.

Might be interesting.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 2:54 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Noticed this as well and will be watching tonight.

According to article in Helsingin Sanomat one fellow flyertalker will play a big role in this documentary.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by vulle
Tonight on Yle TV1 at 21.30:

yläluokkaista irtolaiselämää.
OMG LOL
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:40 am
Original Poster

yläluokkaista irtolaiselämää

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
OMG LOL
Describes our life
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by FinnishFlash
Noticed this as well and will be watching tonight.

According to article in Helsingin Sanomat one fellow flyertalker will play a big role in this documentary.
I have not seen the doc, but there should be interviews from Randy Petersen, Christopher Elliott, yours truly and three others (Germany, Canada & Estonia).
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by holtju2
I have not seen the doc, but there should be interviews from Randy Petersen, Christopher Elliott, yours truly and three others (Germany, Canada & Estonia).
Yeah, I was referring to you but didn't know whether I was allowed to mention that

Helsingin Sanomat didn't mention others by name, only you. That's the normal procedure in this country - everything that happens outside of Finland and can somehow be tied to Finland is big news, others not so much.

Edit: Forgot the link:

http://www.hs.fi/radiotelevisio/a1386476717228

Last edited by FinnishFlash; Dec 9, 2013 at 6:14 am
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:06 am

double
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:32 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AY Silver
I'm always amused how Finnish media always seems to think of business class as the "top tier" of travel. I wonder if it is Finnish modesty or just plain ignorance - just because there are no first class offerings ex-Finland doesn't mean it doesn't exist elsewhere.

Or maybe the travel hackers in this documentary actually restrict themselves to business class.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:51 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by clifford79
I'm always amused how Finnish media always seems to think of business class as the "top tier" of travel. I wonder if it is Finnish modesty or just plain ignorance - just because there are no first class offerings ex-Finland doesn't mean it doesn't exist elsewhere.

Or maybe the travel hackers in this documentary actually restrict themselves to business class.
It is ignorance. Most people don't know about anything beyond AY, SK and maybe LH.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clifford79
I'm always amused how Finnish media always seems to think of business class as the "top tier" of travel.
Not only in Finland. The number of times I've heard (now defunct) MA's C class referred to as "first"

But let's be happy that the masses don't aspire to F, so more redemptions, op-ups for the rest of us.

(Truth be told - I find it hard to justify redeeming for F over C. Mind, not impossible, just hard )
Old Dec 9, 2013, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPBanker
It is ignorance. Most people don't know about anything beyond AY, SK and maybe LH.
How true. I took to basic training an export manager (!) at our company, starting from "yes, you can earn AY points on AB" Now we are at the "yes, you can throw away the last segment" and "no, you don't have to start your flight in HEL" stage
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by holtju2
What stuff?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Hey, I like these Guys!

Something I can't do myself so it was nice to see this kind of lifestyle.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:51 pm

Yle Areena has the documentary online without any geographic restrictions until January 8th 2014. It is narrated in Estonian(!) with Finnish subtitles but interviews are in English.

http://areena.yle.fi/tv/2076023
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Some interesting facts, but not really my cup of tea. Really focused on hotel programs, and generally left out most of us enthusiasts who like to travel but do not travel for 250 days a year.

And describing FT as focused on cheap flights and on being a support group for people who try to travel less but are struggling with it... Well, I've found something else here too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.