Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-order duty free shopping

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2013, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Pre-order duty free shopping

I was surprised not to be able to find a thread about this by searching - sorry if it duplicates something that I missed.

Flying HAN-HEL-LHR next week. I had a chat with the transit security screeners during my outbound, and they told me that the only duty free bottles above 100 ml that they will allow are those sold onboard by Finnair. On my outbound, I came across the Pre-order shopping catalogue. How clever, I thought, and a rather interesting selection too. So off I go during a jetlagged night in my Hanoi hotel signing up for an account, and start shopping - only to discover that I am not being offered any alcohol stronger than Port (and yes, I did enter the HAN-HEL rather than the HEL-LHR flight). What's up with that? Do they think I loved Joseph Perrier so much that I'll order it from the only known retailer so I can enjoy it at home in an Iitala tumbler? Sorry, but I rather liked the sound of some of the cognacs that were listed. Am I doing something wrong, or is the system just messed up?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 8:32 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
It is the Finnish legislation that is messed up.

Finnair is not allowed to list strong alcohol drinks on their web site. The same strange situation applies to Alko, the Finnish alcohol retail monopoly. You can order anything in the catalog, including the hard stuff, by either calling them (have done so) or probably also by using their email [email protected].
Old Sep 8, 2013, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much! Have just tried to place the order by e-mail (at £2/minute for calls, I'm afraid phoning in would have taken away any saving).

So the legislation doesn't even allow them to print this rather important limitation in their catalogue or on their website? And they can't have it hosted offshore? It seems odd that the only airline that offers such a comprehensive pre-order system is the one that operates under a legal framework that hampers its effective implementation. Then again, that legal framework will have created exactly the conditions that would make the pre-order option very attractive to their Finish customers, who will no doubt will be clued up to all of this.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 1:23 am
Original Poster

And it works - got an e-mail confirmation 10 minutes later. Colour me impressed!
Old Sep 8, 2013, 2:22 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
And it works - got an e-mail confirmation 10 minutes later. Colour me impressed!
^

They can list everything on their print catalogue to be distributed on planes. I agree, it is weird, but not as weird as the Finnish legislation concerning tobacco products!
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:45 am
Original Poster

I did notice the absence of any tobacco products in the catalogue, and I can imagine this having something to do with the punishment for including it involving the CEO of Finnair being burnt at the stake. Then again, tobacco (I don't partake, but my friends who do know how much I travel) can easily be taken through security at HEL. But really, would the same punishment be metered out if they added a simple, clearly visible paragraph in the brochure stating "Dear passengers, we regret that owing to current Finish legislation, we are unable to accept orders for beverages with an alcohol content above 21% on our website. Orders for these beverages are accepted through our online order form, by phone, or by e-mail"? Could it not even be added to the website? Or would that get you locked up in Katajanokka, or worse?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: AY, SK, AF/KL + randomly others
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Or would that get you locked up in Katajanokka, or worse?
http://www.bwkatajanokka.fi/eng/hote...a/history.html

Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by SPBanker
^

They can list everything on their print catalogue to be distributed on planes. I agree, it is weird, but not as weird as the Finnish legislation concerning tobacco products!
I just found out that the pre-order doesn't include cigars! Cigarettes and cigarillos yes, but no Romeo y Julieta for this traveler. Well, a box bought from Helsinki doesn't take up much space.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I just found out that the pre-order doesn't include cigars! Cigarettes and cigarillos yes, but no Romeo y Julieta for this traveler. Well, a box bought from Helsinki doesn't take up much space.
Avoid buying cigars in Helsinki - quality, selection and price is so much better anywhere else.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by remymartin
Avoid buying cigars in Helsinki - quality, selection and price is so much better anywhere else.
IMO both NRT and SVO have higher prices... (Those are the two other airports for me in September.)
Old Sep 20, 2013, 1:07 am

IMO both NRT and SVO have higher prices... (Those are the two other airports for me in September.)
I have always done my purchases in AMS, which looks like the cheapest airport in Europe. AMS has some really good bargains if you explore outside of robustos. The other option is HAV, but I try to avoid it nowadays. Too much sidecosts in that trip .

If you have opportunity to order to country that has good taxfree policy (Russia?), why dont you use one of the spain shops that can sell tax free? i have done it couple of times, but currently my supply exceeds demand.

Here is one shop that I have used(4 years ago).
http://www.habanodirect.com/
Old Sep 20, 2013, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by panxta
I have always done my purchases in AMS, which looks like the cheapest airport in Europe. AMS has some really good bargains if you explore outside of robustos. The other option is HAV, but I try to avoid it nowadays. Too much sidecosts in that trip .

If you have opportunity to order to country that has good taxfree policy (Russia?), why dont you use one of the spain shops that can sell tax free? i have done it couple of times, but currently my supply exceeds demand.

Here is one shop that I have used(4 years ago).
http://www.habanodirect.com/
I have used Habano Direct before (quite often actually), but my last two orders have not been filled. I.e., I get confirmation email, but then nothing. Inquiries don't produce results etc. Mind you, they did not charge my credit card either...
Old Sep 20, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Wow, they're still alive? I had some trouble with them many years ago, and don't order from there anymore.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 5:06 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I don't do pre-orders and generally refuse to use internet shopping in favour of small, privately owned shops but buy onboard once in a while.

Have an AY European flight coming up following a longhaul. Is it still possible to buy either blended or single malt Scottish whisky onboard?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:47 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mosburger

Have an AY European flight coming up following a longhaul. Is it still possible to buy either blended or single malt Scottish whisky onboard?
Not within the Union...no "duty free" alcohol sold onboard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.