Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reports on service updates

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:19 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I agree that they are likely to start charge for the service - ancillary revenue is what is important these days, as they are easiest to show growth in.
(AY stock plunged 11,5% today, after release of performance numbers - so at least financial market is still interested in hard numbers)

On one hand I agree it is good they allow pdf download. OTOH, you need a larger device to be able to read a pdf. Most of the custom made readers that newspapers uses has a smart article mode, which converts a article into a readable entity on a phone. With a pdf, you will need to zoom-zoom-zoom, maybe tilt the device and then scroll-scroll-scroll. Then zoom back out, rinse repeat. The dedicated readers does that so much better.

Just like to say (as someone who deals with this on daily basis) that publishers are usually able to strike a barter deal when it comes to printed papers delivered to airplane. The airline buy in bulk and gets a 50-100% discount on the purchase. Not all publishers would do it for Finnair of course, but if they thinking printed papers are expensive, they are not doing it right.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by intuition
Also, the card finish has changed. The platinum is now a matte black card.
Hmmm... Has the card manufacturer changed? Look on the back of the card for a small text running vertically along the edge and compare.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:07 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by manywhere
Hmmm... Has the card manufacturer changed? Look on the back of the card for a small text running vertically along the edge and compare.
Dunno. New cards are from well known manufacturer Oberthur. Old cards were not marked with manufacturer.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Here are the key words for free digital newspapers:
At this stage, digital newspapers are provided free of charge in both business and economy class of Finnair’s long-haul flights
And then translation from airline language to English: after a couple of months they are not free in Economy Class.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:54 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Maybe, ok not just maybe, I am too old..but I think this is going too far...for long haul J, especially.
vulle likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:17 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

This just reminded me of a funny conversion overheard between two Chinese entrepreneurs in J cabin. Flight attendant offers newspapers, but there are none in mandarin. First man declines, second man accepts an english paper, opens it and looks sophisticated.

Entrepreneur1: Ey, I didn't know you can read english! Cool!
Entrepreneur2: I can't. I just look at the pictures.

I wonder if they are removing printed magazines too. I enjoy Fokus and Newsweek sometimes. It will be a very poor show if there are no printed publications onboard in the future.
NoWindowSeat, vulle and manywhere like this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Dunno if this is an offtopic for this thread, but I got an idea. Which may not fly...though. AY should offer an onboard upgrade for X pts for example. The thinking here is that when I see a shorthaul Y gets packed and I have no longer a middle seat free when boarding is complete, and I see empty seats in J, I value my elbow-room so much that I would be ready to pay for J upgrade even without getting J catering. Just for the elbowroom.
Someone might ask why did you not upgrade or book J from the beginning. You know the reason. Take an E190 - no way to upgrade to 2+2 seating J while you can book exitrow in Y and utilize lounge etc., and for pricing of AY in J kills the idea of booking shorthaul J at all.

Okay the idea may not fly due to catering issue, and of course other reasons. Just thinking.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:15 am

Yesterday they launched new skybistro menu

Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
So it's just new design with mostly the same items. I wonder if they will finally load rosemary and cranberries to their SH fleet once they have put it in the picture.

EDIT: Just found in BlueWings magazine what made my expectations quite high: "...tasty new onboard and pre-order salads and sandwiches..." - any chance all the new interesting stuff is listed on the other side that has not been captured in the photo @FFlash?

Last edited by on22cz; Apr 11, 2019 at 2:14 am Reason: Info from BlueWings
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
One thing I recall seeing in the menu on board on Tue was that Stockholm is now out of the exclusion-list -> plat drink in ARN-flights as well?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
One thing I recall seeing in the menu on board on Tue was that Stockholm is now out of the exclusion-list -> plat drink in ARN-flights as well?
Today HEL-ARN basic coffee, tea, water and orange or blueberry juice, no plat recognition what so ever.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
I will report back today.

and yesterday, they really pushed me to order something food as they had a new menu. Did not want riistaleipä nor nada.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by on22cz
So it's just new design with mostly the same items. I wonder if they will finally load rosemary and cranberries to their SH fleet once they have put it in the picture.

EDIT: Just found in BlueWings magazine what made my expectations quite high: "...tasty new onboard and pre-order salads and sandwiches..." - any chance all the new interesting stuff is listed on the other side that has not been captured in the photo @FFlash?
I forgot to photo the backside of the sheet jut it had intercontinental menu there. I reckoned Maku was not presented so it applies only for biz class?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by FFlash

I will report back today.

and yesterday, they really pushed me to order something food as they had a new menu. Did not want riistaleipä nor nada.
Unless the other side has some "miracles" to offer, this is laughable. Paying a graphic designer to create new menu with same items on sale does not really make it a new menu in my book.

Originally Posted by FFlash

I forgot to photo the backside of the sheet jut it had intercontinental menu there. I reckoned Maku was not presented so it applies only for biz class?
Since their text says short-haul offer is to be updated first and considering the old version intercontinental menu had limited offerings compared to the short-haul menu, I wouldn't expect the new one to be any better.
Speaking of biz class, they could include biz class menu in the Nordic Sky portal. Wouldn't cost them much and would make it a little step towards better concept. If this was visible to Y class pax as well, some could even get motivated to upgrade / pay for J the next time for better experience.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:48 am

Here the intercont menu

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.