Wiki Posts
Search

Wrong gender on a reservation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Wrong gender on a reservation

Hi everyone

Got tickets from Finland to Vietnam and accidentaly put my girlfriend's gender as Male.

Called Finnair helpdesk and they said I need to make a "name change" (though name is 100% correct) as this is not Schengen etc. This costs 25 EUR, not fair.

Is gender really so important? I remember, Expedia tickets do not have gender at all. Probably, any issues with Vietnamese authorities?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:35 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
I would be very surpirsed if anyone notices that...officially AY is right, of course.

I would not pay anything and just argue it was a typo if somebody asks later..
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Yes, I believe so. My argument is that there are even 2 typos allowed in the name, so gender should not be an issue.

However, I am concerned about Vietnamese border guards. Who knows, probably they will defer us as according to tickets there should 2 men arrive
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: AY, GA, SQ, IHG, SPG
I have no experience with AY, but I have flown several times in Asia having my gender wrong in the ticket. Why you may ask? Thanks to the local travel agencies and a name which apparently sounds very female for people over here. No problems so far.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Once back in 2005 I travelled with a friend HEL-JFK-LAX on AY & AA with wrong gender info in my friend's ticket. Nobody said anything at any point, and we certainly didn't raise the issue ourselves.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Seems like I am too paranoid (as Vietnam is not Sweden or Denmark here, it is communist country in Asia and who knows their regulations) Just do not want to plan a huge Asia trip and find out that boarding is denied

Btw, on the last screen, where you check passenger and flight details before final click for credit card authorization, there was name, all dates and locations, but no gender mentioned. If it was, I would notice for sure (as I always check details once more before paying) and would correct it of course.

And weird that such a reputable company as Finnair charges for such a small correction. It is not Ryan air and ticket price is also not close to Ryan air..
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:36 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by FlyingMadd
Thanks! Seems like I am too paranoid (as Vietnam is not Sweden or Denmark here, it is communist country in Asia and who knows their regulations) Just do not want to plan a huge Asia trip and find out that boarding is denied
Opinions about communist countries aside, when has an immigration officer / security at your destination ever looked at your boarding pass?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:51 am
Original Poster

remymartin, true.

But, for example, I need a visa to travel to Vietnam. I can arrange a "pre-approval letter" via internet agencies, so that I get my visa at Hanoi airport. And regulations state that very likely I will not even be allowed for boarding, if I do not have this "pre-approval letter" to show at the check-in / gate. This is the way airlines "care" about these kind of passengers as they will not be allowed to enter Vietnam without visa

Maybe, Finnair sends a list of passengers to the Vietnamese immigration department etc.

At the same time, even typos are allowed in the surname (are they?), so I believe this should not be a problem.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:12 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
You're going on vacation, right?

You're worrying WAY too much
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:24 am
Original Poster

remymartin, huh, vacation in 7 month only Never been anywhere outside Europe, that's the reason for worrying
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat (OWS), W6 Discount Club, TK Elite (*G), ex-MA Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by remymartin
Opinions about communist countries aside, when has an immigration officer / security at your destination ever looked at your boarding pass?
Several times when I tried to enter the US under the VWP terms.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:09 pm

To OP: Just relax, do not worry about your gender and enjoy Vietnam, it's a very nice place to visit. It's just one freaking typo!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Will the wrong gender in the res have some impact on points posting on FF account?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by harri
Will the wrong gender in the res have some impact on points posting on FF account?
Naah...don't think so..and if it has points can always be claimed manually later..
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:22 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
To OP: Just relax, do not worry about your gender
OP is worrying about his girlfriend's gender!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.