Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Optimal use of points

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2012, 5:10 am
TTL
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Optimal use of points

This may be slightly far fetched to discuss on AY forum but still letīs try... Half a century behind on next December 21th. 500k Avios, 400k Hhonors points, 2 participants. What to do?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 5:17 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
2x max. 25.000 miles OWAs in J @240k avios a piece, visit some of your favourite spots + couple of new ones. The HHonors part kind of comes together on its own..(=book the best Hilton property available at any given stopover)

Last edited by NoWindowSeat; Dec 25, 2012 at 10:29 am
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:24 am
TTL
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Checked those options and think that even two 20 kmiles OW awards would suffice. AY Y to HEL - AY J to JFK, 3 nights at W-A (spending the special evening there, perhaps inviting friends to join) - AA J (or F, BA MMB would allow for this) to EZE (never been there), 7 nights at Hilton - IB J to MAD, two nights there, but in which hotel, no Hilton available (New Yearīs eve) - AY J to HEL - AY Y to KUO?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by TTL
Checked those options and think that even two 20 kmiles OW awards would suffice. AY Y to HEL - AY J to JFK, 3 nights at W-A (spending the special evening there, perhaps inviting friends to join) - AA J (or F, BA MMB would allow for this) to EZE (never been there), 7 nights at Hilton - IB J to MAD, two nights there, but in which hotel, no Hilton available (New Yearīs eve) - AY J to HEL - AY Y to KUO?
Sounds like a great trip plan to me, Buenos Aires is a fantastic city, one of my favourites in South America and you can easily spend a week there. With that much time in BA may I also recommed a one day trip over to Colonia, Uruguay, lovely small city to visit.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, AY Lumo, Hyatt Explorist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TTL
Be sure to check the price with per-segment pricing as well - for example that particular routing is a little bit cheaper (in miles) if you book every segment separately.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 1:10 am
TTL
Original Poster

Thanks for advice. I will have to call service centre anyhow, and that way I suppose there is a better availability and chance to upgrade to AA first. Will not be missing any connections with these direct flights.

Any other suggestions? Other destinations or stopovers, planning a 2 week trip? Hotel selection at MAD?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by TTL

Any other suggestions? Other destinations or stopovers, planning a 2 week trip?
Buenos Aires is a great city to visit but couple of other unforgettable places in S.A. (and easily accessible with OneWorld) include Machu Picchu and Easter Island, if you haven't been to those I can highly recommend both.

2 weeks is definitely enough to do all three NY, CUZ/MP, and IPC..but not enough to include EZE and MAD to the same trip...and maybe you want to stick to the more "city holiday" type of itn anyway..

Just giving you some thoughts. OWA can be a great value and it's very easy to include short side trips from the main hubs (=CUZ/MP and IPC would work nicely with OWA but availability might be the issue..especially IPC from Santiago in J).
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, AY Lumo, Hyatt Explorist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Buenos Aires is a great city to visit but couple of other unforgettable places in S.A. (and easily accessible with OneWorld) include Machu Picchu and Easter Island, if you haven't been to those I can highly recommend both.

2 weeks is definitely enough to do all three NY, CUZ/MP, and IPC..but not enough to include EZE and MAD to the same trip...and maybe you want to stick to the more "city holiday" type of itn anyway..

Just giving you some thoughts. OWA can be a great value and it's very easy to include short side trips from the main hubs (=CUZ/MP and IPC would work nicely with OWA but availability might be the issue..especially IPC from Santiago in J).
You could visit Iguazu Falls as well from Buenos Aires - I haven't seen the Argentinian side but at least the Brazilian side was great (and easy to get to with a Finnish passport - no visa required). LAN domestic flights are pretty expensive with money but very reasonable with Avios (although IGR is just a little too far from EZE to qualify for the 4500mi redemption. I believe AEP-IGR is 2 miles too long

Note that ba.com does not know about this route so you will probably need to call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.