Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair Spa & Sauna in Helsinki

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by helahela
Seriously. I loved the premises, but €45 for entry????? So should you travel with the wife - €90? I would love to smoke from the same pipe with the people, who thought this was good value. €20 and I probably would have used it a few more times.
Fully agree with you; 20 euros entrance and I would use it everytime I fly outside EU! I've only tried it once, on my way to S'pore in November, and for the 2,5 hours I was there, the first hour it was my private spa! In the end, I counted three other customers in the spa, so definitely not a huge success.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:54 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
For my part I still think the Spa & Saunas concept is what premium lounges will look like in the near future.

It fits perfectly in the Wellness trend and also has some aspects of a Japanese Ryokan or a Korean Sauna so the main Asian spa markets would already be covered. Also Russian customers coming off f.ex the morning JFK arrival are ideal candidates for the Spa.

I'm pretty sure the Gulf carriers will have something similar fairly soon, maybe Asiana or KAL at ICN etc.

It's really just about the branding and marketing. Maybe AY should poach someone from a Swedish consumer brand to handle those, I seriously think that Swedes are the best marketing people on the planet.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:24 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
What I wonder is the lack of gyms in the lounges, i.e., standard hotel fitness center wouldn't take that much of room and would be a welcome change for longer layovers.
E.g. in HEL a gym would be awesome addition as one could get to the airport early, go to the gym, have a breakfast and then board the plane. Likewise LHR T5 would be one ideal place for such facilities, but at least I don't know such facility exists.

Maybe the business travellers prefer the champagne over sports, hence there wouldn't be that much use for a gym?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
What I wonder is the lack of gyms in the lounges, i.e., standard hotel fitness center wouldn't take that much of room and would be a welcome change for longer layovers.
E.g. in HEL a gym would be awesome addition as one could get to the airport early, go to the gym, have a breakfast and then board the plane. Likewise LHR T5 would be one ideal place for such facilities, but at least I don't know such facility exists.

Maybe the business travellers prefer the champagne over sports, hence there wouldn't be that much use for a gym?
There is a gym for example in the lounge at MEX- however I have never seen anyone using it.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Silver, DL, AA, AY, US
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
There is a gym for example in the lounge at MEX- however I have never seen anyone using it.
There is some gym equipment at the Turku airport airside(at least was a few weeks ago), never seen anyone use them either.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AYPlat, BASilver, SQG
Went through Finnair Lounge on Monday evening, asked lounge staff about the Spa and they said it is closed indefinetely.... sounds like it is the end of that story and for sure no gym, which probably would be in even less use than the Spa. I guess it would be wise to just have massage and showers and expand the sometimes very crowded lounge area....
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by mkgrip
There is some gym equipment at the Turku airport airside(at least was a few weeks ago), never seen anyone use them either.
There is a lounge in Turku? Sure it wasn't just the staff gym?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:57 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I am sad to learn that there was a sauna there an that I had missed the opportunity (seriously).

However 45 Euro does seem steep for something that was likely a fixed cost to operate. I pay about 60 Euro for a massage in Vancouver and the use of the sauna is free afterward.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, PC Platinum, SPG Gold, Emerald Club Executive
So where can we go for a shower during a layover at HEL?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:26 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by EmAAx
So where can we go for a shower during a layover at HEL?
Via Lounge. The shower facilities are pretty good IMO.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:37 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Via Lounge. The shower facilities are pretty good IMO.
Also the new Almost@Home lounge in the same non-Schengen terminal has showers, smaller but very cozy place.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, BW Plt, AY, M&M, FB G, CX Gold, AX Plat, CC gold, Le Club plt, Scandic 2nd floor
End of the Spa

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/matkat/hel...452548587.html

Old Mar 3, 2012, 10:19 pm

This is indeed sad. Not only will I miss this unique facility myself, I'm also sad that Finnair's throwing away this amazing image-strengthener of theirs. If they are missing visitors - just lower the price to 20€ and they'd get double or more. It might still be a minus business, but all in all it gave them a lot more in terms of image I believe.

Ironically, and also strangely, in the last Finnair onboard magazine their Senior VP wrote about Sauna&SPA in the editorial and bragged about them having this facility in Helsinki-Vantaa. This was MARCH issue! How on earth can she not have known this when it was closed 1-feb? Decision must have surely be taken much earlier than 1-feb too.

On another note, I just travelled BKK>HEL in J and got a recycled paper bag instead of the usual amenitiy kit package :-( It was only socks, eyemask and ear plugs in it. It said "If you want more, ask the cabin personnel". I still had the old amenity package travelling out HEL>HKG earlier this week.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 1:22 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
OT: Things are not well off with Finnair! Even the CEO had to sell his apartment for mere 1.8 million euros to an institution (governing part of Finnish retirement pension investments) that rents it back to Finnair for some 6000 euros per month for their CEO to live - the value in the eyesight of tax bear around 2000 euros per month - costing to the CEO himself around 1200 euros per month. (reference Suomen Kuvalehti 03.03.2012)

So do not wonder shutting down spas, cutting down lounge offerings, and handing out recycled "amenity" paper bags (which might get collected back before landing and sock counts made before too long...)

Last edited by TTL; Mar 4, 2012 at 1:43 am
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:27 am

So there goes the last special thing. Doesn't look good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.