Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who Owns Fairmont Properties?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
From Raffles.com:
Today, FRHI owns and manages 91 hotels worldwide under the Raffles, Fairmont and Swissôtel brands. The Company also owns Fairmont and Raffles branded Residences, Estates and luxury private residence club properties.
http://www.raffles.com/EN_RA/MainNav...ffles/History/

There are so many sources out there with different information.

I think the moral is, that it is confusing Maybe we should create an open working document on Google Doc's to figure out the ownership structure.

Last edited by CanuckFlyHigh; Mar 15, 2010 at 9:35 am
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
From Raffles.com:

http://www.raffles.com/EN_RA/MainNav...ffles/History/

There are so many sources out there with different information.

I think the moral is, that it is confusing Maybe we should create an open working document on Google Doc's to figure out the ownership structure.
Maybe Fairmont owns OMERS.. and really the teachers pension will go up in smoke with the market.

The fact is, that some of these hotels have changed so many hands.. I wonder if its' because the owners who are stuck with these 50 or 100 year Fairmont agreements sell because the upside to the real estate is severely handicapped, and the only way out is to sell? Even the Sheikh, who once owned the Banff Springs, Lake Louise sold.. but I think in this case, he prepared iron clad 50 or 100 year agreements on each of the property, gets 20% of the cash flow from the properties managing the hotel, and eliminates the risk by divesting.. taking the money, buying other hotels.. putting on onerous 50 or 100 year Fairmont reservation agreements and then selling the hotels to other investors again.. This is a really good business model

The poor souls/corporations who acquire, and find out the mountain piles of obligations, and in a recession like this have to put in their own money to keep hotels afloat.. will have to bite the loss.. only way out? Sell the headaches.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:05 pm

I think what happened is

Colony Capital and the Prince (KHI) agreed to establish a Canadian company called FRHI that will acquire Fairmont ( the management company).

of course the company manages all Fairmonts worldwide but don't own them.

if your are trying to find out who owns each fairmont hotel. then good luck.

KHI owns the following hotels.

http://www.kingdomhotels.com/hotelportfolio.html

good luck in finding who owns the rest of Fairmonts.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by KSA_USA
I think what happened is

Colony Capital and the Prince (KHI) agreed to establish a Canadian company called FRHI that will acquire Fairmont ( the management company).

of course the company manages all Fairmonts worldwide but don't own them.

i
I dont think they paid almost 4 Billion to manage the hotels, and not own the real estate/goodwill. Actually, I know they didnt. So while we don't know the complete structure, the above is definately not true.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
The sheikh bought Fairmont and sold a bunch of properties i.e. OMERS. :-: This is a general statement, I'm pretty sure it was more complicated than that.. but at the time, I remember reading a Fairmont announcement how some properties such as Kea Lani, Orchid, Banff Springs, Lake Louise.. were sold to different owners and at the end of the day there are 50 year, and 100 year agreements for Fairmont to manage the hotels. Owners have to pay for upkeep, maintenance, mortgage, staff, etc. While it be nice to own the say the Banff Springs, you'll probably have to pay for a refacing job of the entire exterior once every 30 years or so.. that's like a 250 million dollar job. Its' not easy being a hotel owner, as there's lots of risk. The Sheikh saw that, and ran.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:52 pm

I dont think they paid almost 4 Billion to manage the hotels, and not own the real estate/goodwill. Actually, I know they didnt. So while we don't know the complete structure, the above is definately not true.
my point is FRHI manages all Fairmonts worldwide. now finding out the ownership of each hotel tough task. plus who cares of who owns the Fairmont in Beijing or the ones in Vancouver for example. what matters is enjoying the phenomenal properties, service, upgrades and of course FAF rates

by the way Thanks a lot CanuckFlyHigh for posting the FAF thread on the other hotel forum. you made so many people happy. ^
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:41 pm
Suspended

my point is FRHI manages all Fairmonts worldwide. now finding out the ownership of each hotel tough task. plus who cares of who owns the Fairmont in Beijing or the ones in Vancouver for example. what matters is enjoying the phenomenal properties, service, upgrades and of course FAF rates

by the way Thanks a lot CanuckFlyHigh for posting the FAF thread on the other hotel forum. you made so many people happy. ^
I second the kudos!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:18 pm

No worries. It's been great for everyone I think. And regarding ownership, its just a personal interest of mine. Real estate is what I enjoy.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:27 pm

And regarding ownership, its just a personal interest of mine. Real estate is what I enjoy.
+1. It's interesting to know who owns the hotels, as Real Estate is very interesting. I'd love to own one, but my current real estate investments are considerably more modest.

Michael
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bizaro86
+1. It's interesting to know who owns the hotels, as Real Estate is very interesting. I'd love to own one, but my current real estate investments are considerably more modest.

Michael
+1.. we own commercial, apartments, houses, paper.. so personal interest of mine as well. That's why I have no problem taking in time share presentations.. generally I learn, and apply to our businesses internally.. and sometimes even get couple of rounds of golf on Maui (regular price $275 pp per round).^
Old Apr 1, 2010, 8:30 pm

So I just had a big long team meeting, and up comes Fairmont, and who owns it, etc. People were speculating what they had heard in the past etc.. and I was smiling inside when I was able to burst out everything that we had discussed in this thread. I knew I was doing it for a reason
Old Apr 2, 2010, 1:00 am
Suspended

So I just had a big long team meeting, and up comes Fairmont, and who owns it, etc. People were speculating what they had heard in the past etc.. and I was smiling inside when I was able to burst out everything that we had discussed in this thread. I knew I was doing it for a reason
You remember it all? I pretty much forgot all of the details once I pressed the return key.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, ICG Platinum Royal Ambassador, Avis President's Club
I think you are misinformed. Prince owns Kingdom hotels, which owns Colony, which owns ALL fairmonts except the 7 canadian properties discussed in this thread above which are owned by OMERS.
From its website Colony Capital appears to be independent of Kingdom Hotels and the Prince. Does anyone have further information on the two entities ownership relationship?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:25 am

Programs: BA BD SA
now finding out the ownership of each hotel tough task. plus who cares of who owns the Fairmont in Beijing (snip)
Well, whether you care or not I am going to tell you.

I was reliably told by a manager there that it's owned by a Chinese tycoon (who has exclusive rights to distribute Red Bull in China). He apparently had a great deal of say in the decor and artworks in the public areas. And I've forgotten his name!
Old Oct 5, 2010, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by point bonita lighthouse
From its website Colony Capital appears to be independent of Kingdom Hotels and the Prince. Does anyone have further information on the two entities ownership relationship?
I am not sure but I think just recently Kingdom Holding sold part of its ownership to the state of Qatar.

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Well, whether you care or not I am going to tell you.

I was reliably told by a manager there that it's owned by a Chinese tycoon (who has exclusive rights to distribute Red Bull in China). He apparently had a great deal of say in the decor and artworks in the public areas. And I've forgotten his name!
Hee- Hee. nice to know. thanks for the info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.