Wiki Posts
Search

Best Available Rate

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Best Available Rate

Been looking at booking a night at The Savoy and a few nights at The Plaza for a special occasion. I’m sure that before Christmas there was a Best Available Rate on the Fairmont website but since new year this rate seems to have disappeared for July.

Is it common for Fairmont’s Best Available Rate to disappear so quickly in the year?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by highexpectations
Been looking at booking a night at The Savoy and a few nights at The Plaza for a special occasion. I’m sure that before Christmas there was a Best Available Rate on the Fairmont website but since new year this rate seems to have disappeared for July.

Is it common for Fairmont’s Best Available Rate to disappear so quickly in the year?
They might have just changed the description of the rate type. The Savoy seems to be calling it "Daily Flexible Rate" now, which IMO, is a better description than "Best Available Rate". Other properties have been using "Daily Rate" for a while. The BAR was never the "best" rate anyway. BAR was generally the non-discounted rate with flexible terms, and there are typically other rate packages available for less that come with a few strings.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
They might have just changed the description of the rate type. The Savoy seems to be calling it "Daily Flexible Rate" now, which IMO, is a better description than "Best Available Rate". Other properties have been using "Daily Rate" for a while. The BAR was never the "best" rate anyway. BAR was generally the non-discounted rate with flexible terms, and there are typically other rate packages available for less that come with a few strings.
Excellent explanation! ^

"Best Available Rate" (BAR) is more of an industry term describing the lowest, fully flexible rate (i.e. fully refundable and changable, not pre-paid) without any inclusions (such as breakfast etc.).

The "Best Available Rate" is generally the baseline for any other offers/promotions, e.g. a "15% discount advance purchase rate" would generally imply "15% off BAR".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.