Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Fairmont Maui Free Certificate Stay Cancellation Policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:36 am
Original Poster

We are scheduled to stay at Maui 1/13-17 on the free night certs from credit card signup.
We might have to cancel because of some surgery.
I called and was told that I would have to pay for 2 night penalty at current rates?
My reservation states $0 room rate My emailed confirmation I received states Cancellation Amount $332

Anybody have any ideas what would be correct cancellation penalty?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

I talked to the hotel directly and they said there would be no penalty at all and all certificates returned.
So I guess I answered my own question
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Congratulations! I just looked it up and that resort, on revenue stays, requires 21 days' advance cancellation & otherwise charges 2 nights' room rent! Is it maybe different for award stays?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Talking to hotel directly is always best in these types of circumstances. The call centre has to follow the rules. The hotel has discretion to offer cancellations in case of extenuating circumstances. (I had a Westin that allowed me to cancel a reservation after midnight of the check-in day when I missed a connecting flight.)
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
It could also be that the hotel is happy to have you not show up. I don't know what the hotel gets paid by Fairmont when a guest uses a free night certificate, but I would bet that it's significantly less than what a paying guest would bring. Considering the website is showing no rooms available for your dates, they can waive their cancellation policy to make you happy, and still come out ahead.
Brendan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.