Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

15% Bonus on Fairmont Gift Cards - Fri, Nov 24, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE

The semi-annual gift card sale is back. It's still at the reduced rate of 15%, unfortunately, but any discount is better than no discount. Note the new time frame, 2 to 5 PM EST. Announced on the Fairmont facebook page...

Black Friday is around the corner and you know what that means - our e-gift card bonus sale is back! On Friday, November 24th, from 2-5pm EST only, purchase an electronic gift card and receive a 15% bonus e-gift card free. It's the perfect gift this holiday season.

http://bit.ly/Fairmonte-giftcards
Terms are similar to last time. There is a maximum of 1 bonus per purchase using the same credit card. You can purchase as many cards as you like within a single shopping cart transaction, and there is a maximum of $5,000 in any one shopping cart transaction.
Brendan likes this.

Last edited by CanadaDH; Nov 21, 2017 at 5:44 am
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: AC*E
This is a bonus, when represented as a discount it is aprox %13 .
If you are travelling in Canada, the lifeexperiences offer is much better value (and a true discount).
Brendan likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drdrma
This is a bonus, when represented as a discount it is aprox %13 .
If you are travelling in Canada, the lifeexperiences offer is much better value (and a true discount).
Absolutely. I like to purchase the LE certs to pay off some of the bill, because of the 10 LE certificate limit per stay, and then pay the rest of the bill with real Fairmont gift cards.

I have a few upcoming Fairmont stays, where my bill is going to be $5K to $10K per stay, and I can't imagine trying to pay that using LE certs at $100 each. I'll try to push it a bit, but I expect they'll enforce a limit on them. Where I can't use the LE cert, I'm happy to take this discount!
Brendan likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Can the Fairmont proper gift cards be used at Fairmont restaurants without staying ?

EDIT: I got my answer from the official FAQ:
Q: Does the holder of a gift card have to be a hotel/resort guest to use the card?
A: The recipient can use his/her gift card to pay for meals or services purchased at a Fairmont hotel or resort or Willow Stream Spa, even if he/she is not currently a guest there.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Can the Fairmont proper gift cards be used at Fairmont restaurants without staying ?

I'll be staying near a Fairmont hotel in the US during an upcoming trip.
Yes. The restaurant may not have a terminal right there, but if not, they can get the front desk to process the gift card.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
Yes. The restaurant may not have a terminal right there, but if not, they can get the front desk to process the gift card.
We did this when we had afternoon tea at the Plaza in NY. Paid stays were ridiculously expensive so we only went there to eat. We used the plat dining credit plus gift cards to pay for the meal. It's also possible to include tip using gift card but it seems a hassle for the server to get that portion accounted for so we just tipped in cash.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by MasterGeek

EDIT: I got my answer from the official FAQ:
I did this just last week. We had dinner at the Fairmont YVR before a 7pm flight to use up my last $100 BMW dining credit. There was still a small balance left to pay, so used a GC. They have to take the GC to the front desk to run it but it took all of 5 minutes.
Brendan likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Are these egift cards sent to the recipient immediately?
I will be staying at the Kea Lani until 11/25, and would like to use these gift cards upon checkout. If I buy then during the sale period on 11/24, are they likely to arrive in my inbox shortly thereafter?

Thanks!
Bostonbali
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bostonbali
I will be staying at the Kea Lani until 11/25, and would like to use these gift cards upon checkout. If I buy then during the sale period on 11/24, are they likely to arrive in my inbox shortly thereafter?

Thanks!
Bostonbali
My experience is they usually arrive within 10 minutes. I've had it take up to an hour. I'm sure you'd have them in time to use for your current stay.
Brendan likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by bostonbali

Thanks!
Bostonbali
Yes you should have it within an hour or two at most.
Brendan likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:22 am

Do any of the folks here have any insight into how the foreign exchange is determined by various Fairmont properties around the world?

If I'm planning on buying certificates during this deal with the intention of using them abroad, how much of the 15% discount is eroded at the hotel when applying crappy exchange rates?

For instance, when redeeming my USD dining certificates at the Empress recently, the exchange rate they used was atrocious and much worse than credit card conversion.
Brendan likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kxs250
Do any of the folks here have any insight into how the foreign exchange is determined by various Fairmont properties around the world?

If I'm planning on buying certificates during this deal with the intention of using them abroad, how much of the 15% discount is eroded at the hotel when applying crappy exchange rates?

For instance, when redeeming my USD dining certificates at the Empress recently, the exchange rate they used was atrocious and much worse than credit card conversion.
If you search this forum, you will find many posts discussing this topic exactly. So, I won't go into detail here, but let you search for it. However, I will say that using Fairmont gift certificates will likely get you about the best exchange rate you can get get. The rate isn't set by the hotel, but done by the gift card terminal, converted by Oanda, paying only a small fraction of a percentage point beyond the market spot rate.
kxs250 and Brendan like this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Just ordered a card but no discount/increase was shown on the card's payment screen. Just received three emails from Fairmont, one confirming the order, and two actually containing a link to the gift cards. Apparently one receives one gift card for the amount purchased and another for the 15% additional "bonus". Why not just send a single card?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Just ordered a card but no discount/increase was shown on the card's payment screen. Just received three emails from Fairmont, one confirming the order, and two actually containing a link to the gift cards. Apparently one receives one gift card for the amount purchased and another for the 15% additional "bonus". Why not just send a single card?
That's how they've always done it.

In theory, you could be making a single purchase, with several different cards with a different recipient e-mail address for each. The bonus then goes back to the purchaser of the gifts. I guess if you're just purchasing a batch for personal use (which is probably most purchases), then your suggestion would make sense.
Brendan likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Just to follow up on the earlier question about how long does it take to receive the gifts, I just made 3 purchases for $5,000 each on separate credit cards, and each batch of cards was received in my e-mail within 30 seconds. Very fast.

The only glitch was CIBC triggered a fraud alert and stopped the transaction. Send a text message to me instantly, and I could unblock the transaction by text without calling in. That was convenient. My Amex purchases went straight through.
Brendan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.