Wiki Posts
Search

Lake Louise and Banff Springs for Christmas

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Lake Louise and Banff Springs for Christmas

Hi,

I've searched and read some of the threads regarding these properties, but thought I'd ask based on my plans/interests. Our family has 5 nights over Christmas in Banff. I currently have reservations for 2 nights in Lake Louise and 3 nights in Banff Springs (3rd night free). I was thinking about changing it to 5 nights in Lake Louise (5th night free in a gold non-lake view room - the only lakeview is a jr suite and that is above my budget). We tend to do more active stuff. We plan to do ice skating, skiing for 1 or 2 days, maybe cross country ski/snow shoeing, and relaxing at the hotel/walking around. I do a lot of photography also and being able to get up before dawn and catch the first light is a nice perk when staying at Lake Louise I think. It's about CAD $600 more for 5 nights in Lake Louise for a non-gold room and CAD $1000 more for the same 5 nights in a non-lake view gold room. Which option would you suggest? Keep my reservations as is split between the two properties? 5 nights in a non-gold, or 5 nights in a gold room? What do you like about each property? Thanks so much!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by schan1w
Hi,

I've searched and read some of the threads regarding these properties, but thought I'd ask based on my plans/interests. Our family has 5 nights over Christmas in Banff. I currently have reservations for 2 nights in Lake Louise and 3 nights in Banff Springs (3rd night free). I was thinking about changing it to 5 nights in Lake Louise (5th night free in a gold non-lake view room - the only lakeview is a jr suite and that is above my budget). We tend to do more active stuff. We plan to do ice skating, skiing for 1 or 2 days, maybe cross country ski/snow shoeing, and relaxing at the hotel/walking around. I do a lot of photography also and being able to get up before dawn and catch the first light is a nice perk when staying at Lake Louise I think. It's about CAD $600 more for 5 nights in Lake Louise for a non-gold room and CAD $1000 more for the same 5 nights in a non-lake view gold room. Which option would you suggest? Keep my reservations as is split between the two properties? 5 nights in a non-gold, or 5 nights in a gold room? What do you like about each property? Thanks so much!
Banff Springs and Chateau Lake Louise are both in the top 3 of my most frequented hotels (CLL being #1 and BSH #3 ), so I know them well. Based on your stated interests (skating, alpine skiing, snow shoeing, x-country skiing photography), I would absolutely choose to spend all 5 nights in Lake Louise vs. Banff. It also saves you the time of a hotel change. For a short trip of only 5 nights, having a hotel change will just eat up time.

I've only ever stayed there in Lakeview Suites and Gold Lakeview Suites, so I really can't offer much opinion on what the non-lakeview rooms are like. But for only $400 more for Gold vs. Non-Gold, I would take the upgrade. That's $80 per day extra, and depending on the size of your family, just the savings from having daily breakfast included in the gold lounge can make the upgrade worth the money. Then add in that you get a nicer room, with access to the lounge, along with the evening appetizers and snacks, I can't see a good reason not to upgrade to gold.

As for what I like about each property...

Banff Springs has one of the best hotel spas you will find. Even if you stay in Lake Louise, it may be worth a trip to Banff for that.

Banff has more restaurant options (our favourite is Castello), and has the nightlife and shopping in the nearby townsite, if that is important to you.

Lake Louise is just a spectacular setting, with tons of outdoor activities. That's not important to everyone, but it sounds like it is to you.

Lake Louise does have some excellent restaurants, although they can be expensive. Their afternoon tea around Christmas in the Fairview dining room would probably be pretty special. We love the Walliser Stube.

Lake Louise has a very quick shuttle ride across the valley to the ski area.

Banff Springs has an outdoor pool, but Lake Louise does not.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
This is going to get many different opinions. At the end of the day, it is kind of like choosing which super model to sleep with - they are both still super models!

I would split it. I have stayed 50+ nights at both of these hotels. CLL is stunning, and beautiful, but I find myself a bit secluded and getting a bit bored. Plus, the hoardes of tourists in all the common areas drive me nuts. The proximity to Lake Louise Ski Resort, and skating on the lake, is very very fun though. And there are good restaurants in the area!

The BSH Spa is amazing. We love it. We really enjoy being able to go into town and enjoy restaurants and bars and bowling and pubs and shopping etc. and a more lively atmosphere.

I'm torn - I love them both. There is something very special about being at 'The Castle' (banff) during Christmas. We go every single year during the Xmas season.

If I was going strictly to ski and stay at the hotel, I would stay at CLL

If I wanted more variety, I would stay at BSH.

Last edited by CanuckFlyHigh; Oct 23, 2017 at 3:38 pm
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much CanadaDH and CanuckFlyHigh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.