Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qualifying Nights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2017, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
Qualifying Nights

Hey FTers,

I was just going through my stay history and apparently whenever I use a free night or 3rd night free, the unpaid night is counted towards qualifying nights for the year. Is this correct or a mistake?

I've gone through my stays in 2016 as well and see the same trend.

Thank you.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by JCFans
Hey FTers,

I was just going through my stay history and apparently whenever I use a free night or 3rd night free, the unpaid night is counted towards qualifying nights for the year. Is this correct or a mistake?

I've gone through my stays in 2016 as well and see the same trend.

Thank you.
Technically a mistake, but it does happen. Over the past number of years, I found a mix of free nights counting and not counting.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
Do you think it's property-based? Does the property allocate these qualifying nights or is it done through FPC?

And once posted for 2017 for example, can they find out the mistake in Jan 2018 and take these nights away, potentially unqualifying you from Platinum?

Thanks.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:52 pm

It happens occasionally. I've never had them claw anything back.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
I suppose they technically could claw it back, but to do that after you've already qualified would seem pretty petty, and not consistent with FPC service.

The only time I've seen stays credited and then removed was when I had multiple rooms booked. One time I had 3 rooms booked at the Chateau Laurier for myself and some family members, and initially the stays were credited to my FPC account, and adjusted some weeks later. That didn't impact my requalification, nor was it adjusted in the following year. However, I recall finishing that year just a couple of nights short of a 40-night threshold where an additional free night cert would have been received.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I stayed at Banff on a B2G1, then at Jasper for 2 free nights at the end of this summer. No soup for me! I got 1 stay credit & 2 night credits for Banff and a red X for Non-Qualifying Stay for Jasper--as the rules say I deserved.
But I seem to remember that I got lucky a few years ago as JCFans did!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
What does it mean when there is an asterik (*) before the hotel name in my FPC stay history ?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Until a few years ago (maybe 2014 or 2015), I always used to get credit for the free night. In that fateful year, the free night credit was clawed back, and I haven't received any since.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I just used a 3rd night free certificate at the Fairmont Chicago - no credit for the free night. That would certainly be nice if they did credit it, but certainly would not have expected it.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Until a few years ago (maybe 2014 or 2015), I always used to get credit for the free night. In that fateful year, the free night credit was clawed back, and I haven't received any since.
We never got any clawed back, but did see a sharp line from always getting credit to never getting credit.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Another 4 night stay in SIN, 3 paid nights, 1 night free. Got credit for 3 nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.