Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FPC Chauffeured BMW, tipping in the USA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2014, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Priority Club,Fairmont presidents club,Marriot rewards,SPG,Delta Privalige
FPC Chauffeured BMW, tipping in the USA

Hi

I have used the chauffeured BMW service in Canada and the driver has refused an offered tip when I reached my destination. I plan to use the service in Washington and Boston when on vacation in 2015, should I offer a tip?

Thanks

Pjack
Old Dec 28, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
I say, always offer. If refused that is ok. If expected and not offered you look like a cheapskate.

JudyJFLA
Old Dec 28, 2014, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
If expected and not offered you look like a cheapskate.
And if a tip is expected, the driver looks like one. (And do you really care what a limo driver thinks of you?)

If you feel the service is worth a tip, tip. If not, don't.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:47 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And if a tip is expected, the driver looks like one. (And do you really care what a limo driver thinks of you?)

If you feel the service is worth a tip, tip. If not, don't.
Absolutely agree, tips should be for good service & not automatic
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I always tip. If you don't tip, the hotel car might just be "busy" when you need it (ahem, being used by someone else). The service one gets when tipping is always better. E.g. I have the Fairmont Palliser/Hotel Mac guys picking me up to/from work when I stay there. I now know all of them by name, and they know mine. I guess I sort of stand out tipping them $5 each time? I've had the car reserved for me as well (every morning). I've even been driven to the airport when they weren't busy (cleared by the duty manager). Good for me, good for the drivers, and the most fiscally responsible choice for my employer (who now doesn't have to pay $80-$100 for a limo ride to the airport -yes tips are expensed.)
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
The service one gets when tipping is always better.
Do you also "tip" hotel checkin agents to get a better room?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Do you also "tip" hotel checkin agents to get a better room?
There is no "expectation" in N. American culture to tip a hotel check in agent. There is a cultural expectation to tip drivers (limo, taxis). Does one have to? No.

There is a cultural expectation to tip in N. american restaurants. If I were a waiter/waitress, I'd feel like I've given you bad service if you don't tip. And you would feel like a bit of a douche for not tipping unless conditions warrant it (aka bad service - although even then I just tip less).

Have I "tipped" a duty manager? Yes - not by way of $, but if they provide great service, i'll write in and praise them. Has that resulted in more upgraded rooms/suites? Yes, although that wasn't the intention.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:30 pm

Good for me, good for the drivers, and the most fiscally responsible choice for my employer (who now doesn't have to pay $80-$100 for a limo ride to the airport -yes tips are expensed.)
Nice rationalization...even if a taxi (who needs a limo?!?) ride to YYC from the Palliser is seldom more than $50, including a tip.

And a bus ride from the Palliser to YYC is, what, $8?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Not including tips and tax. Bus? Are you serious? Corporate travelers are seldom known to take the bus, especially with luggage. And I don't take taxis to and from any airport. For work or pleasure.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
There is no "expectation" in N. American culture to tip a hotel check in agent. There is a cultural expectation to tip drivers (limo, taxis). Does one have to? No.

There is a cultural expectation to tip in N. american restaurants. If I were a waiter/waitress, I'd feel like I've given you bad service if you don't tip. And you would feel like a bit of a douche for not tipping unless conditions warrant it (aka bad service - although even then I just tip less).

Have I "tipped" a duty manager? Yes - not by way of $, but if they provide great service, i'll write in and praise them. Has that resulted in more upgraded rooms/suites? Yes, although that wasn't the intention.
All of the above is correct and having lived in the UK and other parts of Europe, I know those not from North America can get a bit thrown off by the custom of tipping and how it works.

Firstly, salaries for service employees are very different and they depend on tips. I'm not saying it is good or bad, just different. On the other hand, I know from the UK, offering a cash tip to a bartender is not good form, just like trying to tip a desk agent would be here.

So, the thing to know is what is "right" in each country's culture. Offering a tip in NA for a driver will never be bad form, even if refused. Not offering is a way of saying the service was bad.

Just MHO.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Priority Club,Fairmont presidents club,Marriot rewards,SPG,Delta Privalige
Thanks for your replies,

I will have a tip on standby if the service is good. I used the service at the QE in Montreal and I think the guy did another job in the hotel and was more than just a driver hence the reason he didn't accept a tip.

Pjack
Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
When in Rome.... Tip as the Romans do. It really is that simple.

It doesn't help to pose hypotheticals which are meaningless. E.g., "here in X, we don't tip Y's, so why do they do it in Z?" Or, "why tip the car service driver when you don't tip the check-in clerk?"

Different cultures do things differently. When someone works largely for tips and you don't tip, you are scr**ing them. When someone's wages cover 99% of what they make, there's nothing to worry about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.