Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

It's Back! - 20% Discount on Fairmont Gift Cards - NOV 28/2014 - 1PM to 4PM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's Back! - 20% Discount on Fairmont Gift Cards - NOV 28/2014 - 1PM to 4PM

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Thumbs up It's Back! - 20% Discount on Fairmont Gift Cards - NOV 28/2014 - 1PM to 4PM

It's back, and this time they actually gave us notice of the promotion!

https://www.facebook.com/fairmonthotels

Our favourite shopping day of the year is almost here and we wanted to do a little something to thank you, our social media fans! From 1 – 4 p.m. EST on Friday, November 28, receive a $100 Fairmont e-gift card when you spend $500 US or CAD (per order) on electronic gift cards. Spend it on yourself, or on someone you love this holiday season!
You may remember this thread...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/fairm...m-et-only.html
...where many of us missed out due to the short notice.

I'll leave it to Jasper to decide if the 2 threads should be merged. I created a new one so the title better reflected the deadline.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: AC SE
Hmm. Online only. Any chance this would stack with the Amex statement credit?
In any case, interesting! Thanks for posting.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by YXXFlyer
Hmm. Online only. Any chance this would stack with the Amex statement credit?
In any case, interesting! Thanks for posting.
I don't think it will works, as the Amex statement has to be for a stay (at least, it has to be done at a participating hotel)...
Now I have to chose between 600$ GC for 500$ or 500$ GC with 400$ (with the risk to not get the 100$ credit because officially it has to be a stay)
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:21 am

Is this processed by Fairmont so as to show as a double points transaction on the Amex Gold?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:19 pm

Gift Card FAQ

https://fairmontgiftcard.com/cws/fai..._FUNCTION_:faq

Couple Questions:

1) Do we purchase it (with the 20% bonus) here https://fairmontgiftcard.com/cws/fai...r/main/home.py ?

2) Is it valid worldwide?

3) Can it be used with all other certificates (3rd night free, room upgrade, $25 Dining/Breakfast...)?

4) I assume it can be used on room taxes/fees as well?

Thanks,

John
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phiota
Gift Card FAQ

https://fairmontgiftcard.com/cws/fai..._FUNCTION_:faq

Couple Questions:

1) Do we purchase it (with the 20% bonus) here https://fairmontgiftcard.com/cws/fai...r/main/home.py ?

2) Is it valid worldwide?

3) Can it be used with all other certificates (3rd night free, room upgrade, $25 Dining/Breakfast...)?

4) I assume it can be used on room taxes/fees as well?

Thanks,

John
1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Yes. It's just another form of payment, no different to the hotel than if you used your credit card.
4) Yes, and any other charges you put on the room. I've even paid for ski lift tickets purchased through the hotel on a gift card. Can also use them in Fairmont hotel stores and restaurants.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Yes. It's just another form of payment, no different to the hotel than if you used your credit card.
4) Yes, and any other charges you put on the room. I've even paid for ski lift tickets purchased through the hotel on a gift card. Can also use them in Fairmont hotel stores and restaurants.
+1

If I were to add one comment, I'd say that using GCs outside NA may not be the best idea since the hotel will often use their own exchange rate - which is often quite a bit worse than the CC exchange rates.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
+1

If I were to add one comment, I'd say that using GCs outside NA may not be the best idea since the hotel will often use their own exchange rate - which is often quite a bit worse than the CC exchange rates.
Just how bad is their chosen exchange rate? I've used USD gift cards in Canada, and their electronic processing terminal used it's own rate, but I didn't notice it as being horrible. Would their overseas rate be so bad that even with the current free gift card promotion I would still be better using a CC? I'll pay about a 3% FX premium on my credit card, so with a 16.7% discount on purchasing the cards, they would have to be charging a 20% premium in their gift card terminal for me to be worse off.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just how bad is their chosen exchange rate? I've used USD gift cards in Canada, and their electronic processing terminal used it's own rate, but I didn't notice it as being horrible. Would their overseas rate be so bad that even with the current free gift card promotion I would still be better using a CC? I'll pay about a 3% FX premium on my credit card, so with a 16.7% discount on purchasing the cards, they would have to be charging a 20% premium in their gift card terminal for me to be worse off.
I've also used the GCs at US properties and didn't find the exchange rate to be horrible. It's extremely unlikely the exchange rate used at properties outside NA would be that terrible, so using GCs would still save you some money, just thought I'd mention you wouldn't get the full 20% and you'd depend on the hotel's policy regarding FX rates.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I've also used the GCs at US properties and didn't find the exchange rate to be horrible. It's extremely unlikely the exchange rate used at properties outside NA would be that terrible, so using GCs would still save you some money, just thought I'd mention you wouldn't get the full 20% and you'd depend on the hotel's policy regarding FX rates.
I called Fairmont to check on how the conversion is done overseas, and they said they do not use the hotel's posted exchange rate. I also found this in the Terms & Conditions page of the Fairmont gift card website.

Gift cards are available in Canadian and U.S. Dollars on our website. If redeemed at a hotel or resort where the local currency is other than Canadian or U.S. dollars, the gift card terminal will seek the current exchange rate powered by Oanda to calculate credit. The exchange rates used are based on current market conditions and cannot be adjusted by Fairmont Hotels & Resorts.
Based on this, I'm comfortable that I'm not going to get screwed on the F/X by using the gift cards at overseas properties.

I don't have any experience with Oanda Corporation or know how much of a spread they add to their conversions, other than on USD/CAD conversions on past gift card redemptions. However, when I am overseas, I'll try to make a point of paying most of my bill with the gift cards and leave a small balance to pay with Amex, and then I can compare the two rates.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called Fairmont to check on how the conversion is done overseas, and they said they do not use the hotel's posted exchange rate. I also found this in the Terms & Conditions page of the Fairmont gift card website.
Thanks for posting! That's definitely interesting. And I agree, the Oanda FX rate should be better than the hotel FX rate.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
I'm looking to book a fully pre-paid rate tonight as rates/availability have been steadily going up the last few days and I don't want to wait until the weekend.

As such, would it be possible to pay with my credit card today -- and then transfer over to gift cards after BF?

EDIT: Looked on their Facebook and it looks like you pay with the credit card at time of checkout (so it can still apply to a pre-paid rate).

Last edited by ComplexAnalysis; Nov 26, 2014 at 8:37 pm
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: FPC Platinum, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by tommy99
Is this processed by Fairmont so as to show as a double points transaction on the Amex Gold?
Bought a bunch last year with my Chase Fairmont Visa. Did not show up as a purchase from Fairmont, so I did not get extra points on my Visa. Imagine it would be similar with the Amex, unless they have changed something this year and they will actually show up as a direct purchase from Fairmont.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:08 pm

People should read the FB post for FAQ
https://www.facebook.com/fairmonthot...034360/?type=1

Is the purchase processed by Fairmont or a third party?

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Fairmont Hotels and Resorts is partnered with Buyatab to provide our online gift card services.

I guess this means NO DOUBLE DIPPING with the AMEX Spend $500 get $100 promo

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts The gift card's system converts your card balance to the local currency automatically using the OANDA rate of day, not the hotel exchange rate.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Oanda.com publishes real-time mid-market (= million-dollar transaction wholesale) rates, but also gives us the option of getting a quote with a % service fee. So let's hope that Fairmont's terminals choose the no-commission version !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.