Wiki Posts
Search

Ovation Help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:11 pm
Original Poster
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Ovation Help

I want to book a stay at Miramar Santa Monica this summer, but they are asking for $500 lowest rate.

The Fairmont Rooms are blocked/sold out, so I can't use my complimentary stay voucher.

If I earn/buy an Ovation through my HR department (collection B) can I use it, or is it blocked the same as the Fairmont Rooms too? The ovation B cost is ~$300 right now.

If I book an Ovation Can I upgrade the room?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
There are many different types of Ovation certs. Most of them book into the Fairmont room category, this particularly applies to most/all the ovation certs you can get via AMEX/FFPs/etc.

If you have a "regular" Ovation B category cert, a Fairmont room would have to be for sale for you to use your cert.

However, companies can also buy ovation certs as incentives for their employees which book into higher room categories, e.g. there are "Fairmont Gold B category", "Junior Suite B category" and "One-Bedroom Suite B category" certs.

If you can get ahold of any of those certs, you should be able to make a booking without qny issues.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
Unrelated Ovation question, but I was wondering if you can use upgrade or free nite certs attached to an existing Ovation reservation. As well, do these count towards status stays/nights?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by habshabs444
Unrelated Ovation question, but I was wondering if you can use upgrade or free nite certs attached to an existing Ovation reservation. As well, do these count towards status stays/nights?
You can deifnitely apply upgrade certs towards a reservation made using Ovation certs and it also is possible to combine an ovation cert res with a res using free night certs. (as you can also make a res. consisting only of free night certs) Any upgrade certs would be valid for a maximum of five nights regardless of what rate (ovation/free night/other) you booked.

I´m not sure about whether stays using ovation certs count towards status. I seem tor recall the answer is yes, but please double-check with FPC as I´m not sure about this one.
Old May 13, 2012, 5:45 pm
DH

Making Reservation Without Ovation Certificates?

Does Fairmont allowed to make reservation without holding the certificates? Due to peak season in Canadian Rockies, I want to make reservation before I get the certificates.

Thanks!
Old May 13, 2012, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DH
Does Fairmont allowed to make reservation without holding the certificates? Due to peak season in Canadian Rockies, I want to make reservation before I get the certificates.

Thanks!
No personal experience, but I´d assume yes as the ovation certs are paper certs and are non-personalized. If you don´t have the certs at check-in, you´ll likely be charged the rack rate.
Old May 13, 2012, 9:07 pm

They ask for certificate numbers when you book your reservation, if you say you don't have the certificates yet they will still confirm the reservation, but ask that you call back with the certificate numbers once you receive them. Some hotels are persistent in following up on this - the Raffles Paris repeatedly emailed me...
Old May 20, 2012, 9:52 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
I'm not sure they are for 'Fairmont room'. The certs normally just say standard room category and I think I've used them for non-fairmont rooms.

You can also pay to 'buy-up' to the higher room categories; EG from Standard to what would be given with the other ovation categories.

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
There are many different types of Ovation certs. Most of them book into the Fairmont room category, this particularly applies to most/all the ovation certs you can get via AMEX/FFPs/etc.

If you have a "regular" Ovation B category cert, a Fairmont room would have to be for sale for you to use your cert.

However, companies can also buy ovation certs as incentives for their employees which book into higher room categories, e.g. there are "Fairmont Gold B category", "Junior Suite B category" and "One-Bedroom Suite B category" certs.

If you can get ahold of any of those certs, you should be able to make a booking without qny issues.
Old May 20, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
I've had them appear as incrementing my stay counter online.

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
You can deifnitely apply upgrade certs towards a reservation made using Ovation certs and it also is possible to combine an ovation cert res with a res using free night certs. (as you can also make a res. consisting only of free night certs) Any upgrade certs would be valid for a maximum of five nights regardless of what rate (ovation/free night/other) you booked.

I´m not sure about whether stays using ovation certs count towards status. I seem tor recall the answer is yes, but please double-check with FPC as I´m not sure about this one.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
does anyone know if you can use a 3rd night free cert with 2 ovation certs?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 3:27 pm

I think the answer is no:

"Certificate may only be used when the member pays for the first two nights of a three-night stay at one property. Certificate may not be used in conjunction with an FPC Platinum Complimentary Night certificate or any other Fairmont or third-party promotions or packages."
Old Dec 31, 2013, 4:14 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
I think the answer is no:

"Certificate may only be used when the member pays for the first two nights of a three-night stay at one property. Certificate may not be used in conjunction with an FPC Platinum Complimentary Night certificate or any other Fairmont or third-party promotions or packages."
Thankyou!
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
My wife's company is offering her a few different ovation certificate options as an award, but I'm a little unclear on what each certificate would get us.

For example, she has the option of choosing two standard room Collection D certificates or two junior Suite Collection C certificates. When I look at the collections online it shows that some properties are all suite properties so my question is does a standard room collection D certificate get you whatever the standard room is at those hotels?

The Fairmont in Telluride for instance doesn't appear to have standard rooms, gold rooms, junior suites or one-bedroom suites so it doesn't seem like any ovation certificate would work there, but it's included on the collection listing so maybe the standard room certificate gets you whatever the standard rooms are at each specific property. The Fairmont in Maui is also an all suite property and doesn't have junior suites so I'm not sure whether the junior suite collection C certificate would work there either. I was thinking it would be a no brainer to take the D certificates, but the Collection D properties are all pretty far away except for the Plaza, Telluride and Barbados land the only one I'd be very interested in is the Telluride property.

Are there any tricks to maximizing these things or are they pretty straightforward?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:35 pm

The key to maximizing the value of the certificates is to combine them with a paid upgrade. At most properties the Standard level awards will upgrade for $75 (typically to a gold level room or junior suite) and for $150 (typically to a suite). The Junior Suite level awards will typically be accepted for a gold level room, and will upgrade to a suite for $75.

If you call the special Ovations reservations number during business hours they can give you specific information on the upgrade options. Call 888-742-7488. The current list of properties and levels is here: https://www2.workingadvantage.com/do...ntListings.pdf

At the all-suite or residence properties you will get the lowest category room for a standard level award - however these can also be upgraded with a payment.

Over the years we have upgraded from a standard room (level B!) at Scottsdale to a Villa Room for $75 and a connecting Villa Suite for $150, a junior suite in Barbados for $150 (from a Level D award), and various high end suites in Mayakoba to name just a few of the properties where we had confirmed upgrades. It makes the certificates far more valuable - and the upgrade charge is posted by the corporate office a week or two before you stay, without any additional taxes.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
The key to maximizing the value of the certificates is to combine them with a paid upgrade. At most properties the Standard level awards will upgrade for $75 (typically to a gold level room or junior suite) and for $150 (typically to a suite). The Junior Suite level awards will typically be accepted for a gold level room, and will upgrade to a suite for $75.

If you call the special Ovations reservations number during business hours they can give you specific information on the upgrade options. Call 888-742-7488. The current list of properties and levels is here: https://www2.workingadvantage.com/do...ntListings.pdf

At the all-suite or residence properties you will get the lowest category room for a standard level award - however these can also be upgraded with a payment.

Over the years we have upgraded from a standard room (level B!) at Scottsdale to a Villa Room for $75 and a connecting Villa Suite for $150, a junior suite in Barbados for $150 (from a Level D award), and various high end suites in Mayakoba to name just a few of the properties where we had confirmed upgrades. It makes the certificates far more valuable - and the upgrade charge is posted by the corporate office a week or two before you stay, without any additional taxes.
Wow, that's even better than I was thinking. I think we'll figure out some places in both Collections that we want to go and then call to see what our options are with both types of certificates before we decide. Thanks for the advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.