Wiki Posts
Search

Rules on Government rates

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite
Rules on Government rates

What exactly do I need to qualify for the Government rates? If I am paid by the Ontario Government, is that enough? Do I need to bring a pay stub?

I couldn't find any rules on the Fairmont website...

Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Accor Diamond, Marriott Platinum
My experience (when I used to work for government) was that some sort of government identification (ie. from your department) was what they were seeking.
Old May 1, 2012, 8:34 pm

govt contractor

Originally Posted by propofol
What exactly do I need to qualify for the Government rates? If I am paid by the Ontario Government, is that enough? Do I need to bring a pay stub?

Thanks.
You post implies that you are not a Government employee, but rather do work for them - as a contractor or supplier. If so, you are not eligible for the Govt rate. Nice try "paid by the govt". Do you have a business card or ID tag from the ON Govt?? Try the CAA rate....
Old May 2, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, Fairmont Premier, SPG
Originally Posted by propofol

Thanks.
I have always just shown a business card. Although they don't always ask...
Old May 2, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mrs Penner
You post implies that you are not a Government employee, but rather do work for them - as a contractor or supplier. If so, you are not eligible for the Govt rate. Nice try "paid by the govt". Do you have a business card or ID tag from the ON Govt?? Try the CAA rate....
I don't know about Canada, but not necessarily true in the USA. I have been a government employee and a vendor to government agencies in the USA and found several situations, usually described in the rate detail -- I was only a couple of times asked for ID but always carried it, as required by the rates. When working as a vendor, I had the government project manager/sponsor write a letter on letterhead which I kept in my pocket just in case I was questioned (but the rate was clearly available to vendors in Kansas at least).

(1) Government employee on government business.
(2) Government employee on personal business allowed for some rates
(3) Government vendor, who is going to bill the government for travel expenses anyway, can be allowed to use the government rate

In the USA, there are often different rates for federal and state governments (for example, California may have a deal with a hotel but the feds don't or vice versa). And I've seen local governments and military rates too.

In Canada, doing business with the BC government, I asked the hotel at check-in if I was eligible for the government rate and they gave it to me (clearly they weren't full!).

Last edited by abaheti; May 2, 2012 at 3:27 pm
Old May 2, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I used to work for a big 4, and when we worked on a government file, they would write us a letter saying that we were on government work. It was always sufficient.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
I don't see on the website where you choose gov rate.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I have my employer fed gov't noted on my FPC profile and I can't remember the last time I was asked for id at check in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.